Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is it time to remove the spur?

westczek

This will be my second season shooting my S&W 686 in USPSA revolver division. I'm building up the courage to bob the hammer. It seams like what all the cool kids are doing. I'm not sure if it will do much for me, shooting wise. I run stock springs, because I manage with what ever primers I happen to find. Does anyone think I will notice any difference from bobbing the hammer? Does anyone think I would be making a mistake by cutting off the manual cocking divice? Should I just wait? Lay it out to me... why or why not.

Edited by westczek

Bob the hammer and get used to shooting DA only. I tried in my younger years to go the single action route, but learned that double is better.

Remember, Practice the reload, reload, reload.

Good Luck and welcome to the bright side of the wheel. :cheers:

I never shoot single action but don't want to loose the hammer weight. Primer popping is difficult enough give the spotty supply as it is. Don't need any more finicky than I have.

If somebody shoots the same gun bobbed or not bobbed both double action is there any difference in performance due to the lighter hammer ? Seems to me the spring weight takes care of it neutralizing any advantage. But that's my opinion not fact.

Boats

Westczek, It is time to take the spur off when it gets in your way. I bob my hammers because of my grip. I grip up high to get the bore closer to the pivot point for recoil, my wrist. Taking the weight off the hammer should speed up the hammer strike but does not make the action noticably any lighter. Just keep shooting and change what you wanta when you wanta. :devil: Later rdd

Thanks all, I can't remember the last time I cocked the hammer for a single action shot. So I won't miss the hammer spur for that.

Would I have ignition problems by bobbing the hammer, even if I stick with the stock springs? I just can't reliably get Federal primers. Although I managed to score a box today!

I don't think the spur has ever been stopped in its movement by my hand, but it is a little crowded. I have been working on a high hold, like Bubber suggests.

Westczek

As a general rule light hammers and ignition parts improve accuracy, in rifles anyway was not sure about Revolvers. It can't hurt it for sure.

Primers seem to be getting easier. I was paying big bucks to get Remington's from Cabelas in small quantities with the haz mat fee. Nickel a pop. Local shop has them on the shelf at 30 dollars per thousand anytime now. And the gun club bulk order came in after being back ordered for a year. Now I have a 3 or 4 year supply someting I was never looking for.

Boats

I voted to get rid of it. You can do what I did with my 610, I got a second one to bob the hammer on. I kept my old one with a stock hammer (its my deer gun). Perfect excuse to buy another gun. (we have all used weaker excuses that this) :roflol:

I am not one of those "high speed, low drag" guys that find it necessary to bob the hammer of their revolvers. Nothing wrong with doing it, but it just does not appeal to me. I am of the mind that if it is not causing a problem, then don't mess with it.

I voted to wait one more season, I have slimmed the hammer spur down on my competition guns to reduce the mass but kept part of the spur as insurance if I happen to get a high primer that cant be rotated Through the gun by double action. You can still get a very smooth action with @ 6lbs pull and still have the spur for emergencies. The spur also makes it safer and easier to pre-check your loads by rotating the cylinder before firing.

There seams to be a ground swell for removing the spur. And of course my Dremel sure is in need of some quality time.

Who can argue with high speed low drag. Just because the shooter is slow doesn't mean the gun has to look slow. I do agree, that revolvers sans spur do look kinda funny.

I will post before and after pictures after the badages come off.

Thanks

Westczek

The deed is done. My 686's spur is now a little piece of scrap in a bin on my workbench, and my dremal's life has meaning. Thanks for the encouragement. Here is the before and after. B)

Westczek

post-5340-126860327323_thumb.jpg

post-5340-126860328328_thumb.jpg

Edited by westczek

<_<

Ive removed spurs on four of my revolvers ,I left one on the 625-8

but have lightend it; it's just a little heaveier than the others,its

pretty easy to remove material with my end mill.

Whats a midnight cowboy?, is that another word :blink:

like embrochure? :goof::huh:

Jim/Pa

• 4 weeks later...

I was hesitant about removing it as well. This weekend I just went ahead and removed it. Now I can get a higher grip on the revolver without worrying about getting pinched by the spur, better leverage and I can press it faster. Besides you will probably never use the spur in USPSA competition so why keep it, it just gets in the way?

Just do it!