Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack nationals Springfield

shooter_rob

Just got this newly customized older Springfield .40 back from my gunsmith. He got her all tuned up and ready to take to the SS Nationals. I have a few local matches, plus the SC state match, before heading off to the big show. The guy that did all the work on this gun is Jim Joyce, of Jim Joyce Custom Guns (JJC) http://www.jimjoycecustom.com . The mag well is his design and 100% made in his shop. His prices are great, and the service is world class. In addition to the mag well, he also made the shield on the safety, an aluminum guide rod, made the front sight, cut the front serations, checkered the mainspring housing, drilled and tapped the mag release, refinished everything and tightened the slide and frame fit. On top of all that he drover over 5 hours to my local match to deliver it and watch me shoot it in case there were any issues. You dont find service like that everyday. I just hope I can shoot her as good as she looks and runs.

100_3488.jpg

100_3497.jpg

100_3502.jpg

100_3494.jpg

100_3507.jpg

100_3496.jpg

Good looking gun Rob. I got to see the before model and yuk! The thumb guards are awesome! You did not mention that he drove 5 hrs to deliver it AND 2 hrs of that was in a fricken blizzard! Good shooting to you at the Natl's.

Paul B.

Good looking gun Rob. I got to see the before model and yuk! The thumb guards are awesome! You did not mention that he drove 5 hrs to deliver it AND 2 hrs of that was in a fricken blizzard! Good shooting to you at the Natl's.

Paul B.

He also left out the gun would never be for sale!!!

I did forget to mention the fact that it would never be for sale, I guess I am to excited about getting to play with it. This fine firearm is not mine, It belongs to my great friend PV Hendrix, who is letting me use it for the nationals! How may friends would loan you a gun, and tell the gunsmith to set it up however you wanted it. Between PV and Jim, I am all set up and ready to race! Thanks guys! I am truely blessed with great friends.

I did forget to mention the fact that it would never be for sale, I guess I am to excited about getting to play with it. This fine firearm is not mine, It belongs to my great friend PV Hendrix, who is letting me use it for the nationals!  How may friends would loan you a gun, and tell the gunsmith to set it up however you wanted it.  Between PV and Jim, I am all set up and ready to race!  Thanks guys!  I am truely blessed with great friends.

+1

Banks

Maybe I'll see you at the Nationals too. I'll be shooting a Springfield in .40 too.

I have a STI Trojan in .40 that I love, but my buddy PV has shot the match before and knew about the Springfield promotional deals for shooting a Springfield frame. He was kind enough to not only loan me the gun, but let the gunsmith modify it anyway I wanted it. So I am going to give this one a run and see how we do.

Very nice looking gun. Would love to see some range reports. Just one questions, it seems like there is a move to a SS in .40 why? What am I missing?

I chose to go with .40 based on the fact that I already load .40 for my limited gun. This allows me to set up my press for one and load for limited, limited 10 and SS. In addition, we can shoot .40 and be scored Maj, as opposed to 9mm. Those are the reason I chose to go with .40, I am sure there are other reasons, but these are mine.

Not to thread drift....but I am :-)

A lot of people do it because its a lot cheaper to do so. You can shoot the same ammo as your limited gun, I don't know the last time I shot my competition .45. I personally like the recoil impulse a little better as well.

The down side is they tend to be picky sometimes on magazines, and ammo, and usually need a little tuning.

Good shooting on Saturday Rob! Looks like this rig is working well for you!

Good shooting to PV also, glad you didn't fall down this time. . . .

I'm still getting used to my Trojan . . .

I didn't get a chance to talk to Mr Joyce, but nice to have him at PCWC also!

See you guys at SWGC this weekend . .

Good shooting on Saturday Rob! Looks like this rig is working well for you!

Good shooting to PV also, glad you didn't fall down this time. . . .

I'm still getting used to my Trojan . . .

I didn't get a chance to talk to Mr Joyce, but nice to have him at PCWC also!

See you guys at SWGC this weekend . .

I shot OK, I was very happy with the way she ran. Had one little hickup, but that was my fault. You guys put on a world class match as always! Thanks for the hard work. Jim will be at SWGC as well, that match is much closer for him, only 3.5 hrs to that one.

I chose to go with .40 based on the fact that I already load .40 for my limited gun. This allows me to set up my press for one and load for limited, limited 10 and SS. In addition, we can shoot .40 and be scored Maj, as opposed to 9mm. Those are the reason I chose to go with .40, I am sure there are other reasons, but these are mine.

This is funny I shoot .45 for almost the same reasons my limited gun, SS, Lim 10 and CDP. are all .45 I like the big hole with samewodcuter .(I have no idea how to spell it LOL) that got me that A or down 0.many times.

Good luck and have fun.

Edited by 1911vm

Not to thread drift....but I am :-)

A lot of people do it because its a lot cheaper to do so. You can shoot the same ammo as your limited gun, I don't know the last time I shot my competition .45. I personally like the recoil impulse a little better as well.

The down side is they tend to be picky sometimes on magazines, and ammo, and usually need a little tuning.

First I have to explain my self. I do not own any thing in .40. But thinking about an XDM

I really have never got to play with .40 SS so I cannot compare the impulse. I do normaly like the boom over the baam. So far all the experience a have had was glock 22. And it just did not work for me, I also did like my friends $4500 SVI ( my wife would kill me LOL). The cost is negligible but to have one set up on the press now that is nice and totally makes sense. Thanks for the info.

Shooting 40 for the same reason the vast majority of us do. I actually like the impulse of a somewhat downloaded 45 better but given the ease of loading one round for three (or four if you count IDPA ESP) divisions you can't beat it. Whomever said 40s are more picky with mags had it right. Mine is a Fusion custom and loves all but one of the Wilson mags and all of the Metalform mags. Metalform I have to watch the length due to the spacer but it generally isn't a problem with having the same round function in a double stack STI mag or the single stacks; thats if you have a decent reloader. I learned that the hard way and moved up to a Dillion 550.