Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hey---Single Stack Shooters

MichiganShootist

I always like being prepared for whan the S#it hits the fan... unfortunately, that seems to happen to me most of the time, so I like carrying more than enough haha.

I usually run 6 mags on the belt, and 1 in the gun, for a total of 7 mags. In my experience, I'm either a) dropping a bunch of ammo on the ground with half-loaded mags, or B) i'm running empty and doing standing reloads. I'd much rather drop a bunch of half-loaded mags than do a bunch of standing reloads.

My opinion on SS mags: always carry more!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think about it like this. Most limited shooters take around 60 rounds to the line. 20 in the gun, a reload to mag, and a OS mag. We are not limited by mag capacity but by real-estate on your belt. Take more than you'll need and you'll never want for more.

Think about it like this. Most limited shooters take around 60 rounds to the line. 20 in the gun, a reload to mag, and a OS mag. We are not limited by mag capacity but by real-estate on your belt. Take more than you'll need and you'll never want for more.

lol, you must not have seen ME shoot limited. I'm running like... 5 mags with +20rds haha!

lol, you must not have seen ME shoot limited. I'm running like... 5 mags with +20rds haha!

Same point, NEVER be out ammoed!

Same point, NEVER be out ammoed!

Exactly! haha

I'll admit... I've flipped out at the end of a stage and reloaded from the ground... more than a few times haha.

Six on the belt, barney in the front pocket. Seems to fit on a 34" waist without any fuss.

I'm contemplating changing from three double pouches to six singles for more flexibility. Just not sure of the brand. Shot with Rick Palmer of COM the other weekend, and have always been a fan of his work.

Six on the belt, barney in the front pocket. Seems to fit on a 34" waist without any fuss.

I'm contemplating changing from three double pouches to six singles for more flexibility. Just not sure of the brand. Shot with Rick Palmer of COM the other weekend, and have always been a fan of his work.

I have a COM holster that I run for SS and IDPA-CDP. I also run 4 single mag-pouches with one bladetech double in the back.

I have a COM holster that I run for SS and IDPA-CDP. I also run 4 single mag-pouches with one bladetech double in the back.

Talked with Rick today. Got two of his singles coming to try out. I think two singles will be better for IDPA than one double. If they work out (and I think they will), I'll get four more for USPSA. In a bind, maybe I can use my COM cell phone 'holster' as an extra Glock mag holder...LOL.

BTW, Happy B-day! No more sandbagging in Juniors!

6+1. We once had a 40 round stage at a local match, and I only had 5 mags, meaning I could only afford 1 mike. There was a plate rack on the stage, and it didn't go well. That week, I bought more mags. Like someone said above, have too much and you'll never go without.

I run 5 on the belt and 2 in my back weakside pocket (1 for loading, 1 for Barney'ing) for the bigger stages.

Handy trick: stitch one of your back pockets up with a vertical line. Effectively turns it into a spare 2 mag pouch. Caution - only do this to your dedicated shooting pants, and your wallet probably won't fit in there anymore.

Edited by Dave Gundry

Hello: I have a 34" waist and can carry 6 Safariland 771's. The back one is at my back but I can still reach it without a problem. I am starting to like the single mag pouches for IDPA. I can space them like I want them. Thanks, Eric

Eric, I use the singles for IDPA also, you can space them apart and get them over belt loops and what not.

• 2 weeks later...

Regardless of division, at least one more mag than is required to shoot the stage according to plan. However, for SS 2 more than to satisfy the plan. Generally = 5-6.

TC

I was shooting a state championship match in Limited and had two of my mags get ripped off my belt while going through the door to start the last stage, which was a 32 round field course with a TON of steel. I'd started with 5 on the belt so I had more than enough. If I'd only had the plan +1 I'd have been toast :surprise:

How do you guys get past the requirement to have them behind the hip area? Just got called on that recently, but I can't reach all of them if I start at the hip

What kind of carriers do you use? Some take up more room. I found out that the safarilands don't take up as much room on the belt as my Comp-tacs did.