Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which .308 Ar Type Rifle Uses Fal Mags?

Matthew_Mink

Matt, I don't know much about the rifle stuff...are you looking for a rifle for games?

I have read...here on the forums...that a .308 might eat up a barrel pretty quick on a lot of the hoser stages that we tend to see in variopus 3-gun matches.

Just something to think about. I like the idea of .308, but I don't know what I would use it for (well...I do have a bolt-action Remington .308 for putting meat on the table).

Kyle, I am not planning on using it for 3 gun, just as another WWIII rifle. I was wanting an accurate AR type rifle and the ability to buy good $5 20rd mags.

But since I asked the original question, I stumbled on the answer myself. I knew one was out there, I had just forgotten who made it.

American Spirit Arms does indeed have a .308 AR that takes FAL mags.

www.gunkits.com

I know nothing about the company or their quality. Does anybody here?

I have had a couple of ASA guns off prize tables. The 9mm carbine that I picked up was not bad. The chamber was a bit skinny but once it was reamed a bit the gun works great. I also just picked up a 16" heavy barrel from Area 2. The gun is 100% reliable after about a 100 round breakin and is shooting 3/4 to 1 1/2 MOA depending on the load. The 1 1/2 was with Federal military ball, not bad. Still doing some load work but it seems to be a quality gun. I have heard some stories about poor reliability and such but both mine have been okay.

I'm not real impressed with the 308 charging handle they put on however. It is a side lever that closes up. You have to reach forward and open it before you can charge the rifle. Not very good on a battle rifle.

Chuck

That did indeed cross my mind. But then the big question; would it work? I know they would physically hinge together with the pins, but would the FAL mag well work with the upper built around an M-14 mag? I would hate to spend $1300 putting it together to find out that the mag position was just different enough that it wouldn't feed.

Matthew . . . you're young, strong, and enthusiastic. I think you should try it and see if it works so the old geezers (like me) can follow your lead. ;)

Or, you could get a $350 CETME and a box full of $5 HK91/G3 magazines. Not an AR, but definitely WWIII material!

You might also consider machining your own AR-10 lower built to take FAL mags; Kristi Tool had these though you will have to have your own machine tools to complete it. The Kristi Tool lowers are designed to take the AR 10 upper receivers and FAL mags (magwell is complete on these). I have made my own AR15 lowers; it is not a money-saving thing but it is cool to have a custom gun without a serial number. I eventually made one up and stamped it on the sides just to avoid the endless arguments with the less informed. I have used my homebuilt ARs to compete in 3 gun locally. Once source for materials are the Les Baer AR15 lowers with magwell broached. There is a good builders site at www.roderuscustom.tzo.com Regards, C.

That is exactly what I have done and it is completely legal under Federal law - subject of course to your state's laws; I have personaly made both AR-15s and a semiauto handgun. The serial number is not required. I put a made up serial number on simply to avoid hassles. You cannot obliterate the ser. number on a gun "manufactured" by a person licensed to "manufacture" firearms; an unlicensed individual can make firearms intended for personal use without being subject to tax or serial number requirements; one common example of this is people who buy a black powder 6gun and convert it to fire metalic cart.s.

Take a look at this site: www.roderuscustom.tzo.com. One of the many specific letters from ATF is here: http://www.roderuscustom.tzo.com/cgi-bin/i...ATF_Letters.pdf There are also many threads on the legality of creating your own firearms. There are sights with pics and full descriptions dating back many years on sites such as ar15.com as well as the AK-47 portion of that site. I was amazed to discover this topic back in 1999; since then I have learned basic machining skills and bought a Harbor Freight mini mill (benchtop Bridgeport). It has been incredible fun and very rewarding. Take a look at the sight & let us know what you think.

ERIC: thread drift alarm noted & I will make no further posts on this topic as it is supposed to be about AR-10 w/ FAL mag.

I know he doesn't need my "backup," but Carlos is definitely right. It's very much legal to make your guns under Federal laws.

I have buddies who have enjoyed making their own ARs from rough forgings of the lower receiver. Seems like a lot of work to me, but once it's done . . . wow!