Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which .308 Ar Type Rifle Uses Fal Mags?

Matthew_Mink

Lots of good info and thinking points from everybody.

Here is the short list so far:

Springfield Armory M1A Loaded Standard - The accuracy I desire should be there, 20 rd mags are plentiful, but they cost about $40-50/each, flashhider would come in handy in WWIII scenario, also with the $250 coupon you get a good usable scope and mount.

DSA SA58 Medium Contour - Expensive, but durable. 20 rd mags are everywhere, and cost $5/each from DSA. Would have to upgrade to the freefloat tube to get good accuracy and that's an additional $105.

Armalite AR-10A4 - I've already got AR's, so this rifle would be familiar. Good accuracy without the freefloated barrel, 1.5-2 MOA. Mags are expensive and have to be converted from M1A mags. Flattop rifle flexibility.

Eagle Arms AR-10 - kinda like the Armalite above, but no muzzle break and only a 1 year warranty.

So, have I missed a good .308 auto? I'm open to suggestions.

I have wondered about this also...just a question, but have you tried contacting ASA and asking them if their lower will work with an AR10 upper? I had intended on doing that myself, but being inherently lazy(i.e. reason I am fat), I just never got around to it... If it will I'm sure they would know, because that would open a lot of market. Having worked in a retail store we could hardly give away AR10's(1 in 18 months), for no other reason than nobody wants to invest 50-80 dollars per spare mag.

• 2 weeks later...

Zak, I'm not real crazy on using junky mags in a rifle I might have to use in a SHTF scenario.

I heard over on FAL Files that Bushmaster is coming out with a .308 varient with a different gas system and will take FAL mags. That could be the one!

Matthew,

The beauty of the scheme is that the Armalite conversion kit includes the mag body and follower. All you need is the spring and the floorplate from the old mag. That cheap pre-ban "junk" M1A mag-body, when disassembled, just makes your mostly-new mag legal.

-z