Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tripp 2011 Project

RussB

I found this old racegun for a fair price, but like everything, you get what you pay for...this in my "winter project" I rekon :biglaugh:

The Tripp Research frame was manufactured sometimes around 1993, and then at who know's when it was cobbled together as a 38 Super racegun with a Springfield Armory slide and a Clark comp'd barrel. The good news is that it functions!

There are a lot of very "rough" areas which I have begun to address.

I replaced the plunger tube pins and springs. The spring was cut and the pin's tips were beat up. Wolff spring and SS pins are now installed.

I replaced the firing pin and stop plate. The pin was battered and the plate was loose like a hot dog in a hallway! STI FP and EGW oversized plate were used.

The mag release got a SS catch pin and a Wolff #1 spring

I installed a 19# mainspring, and replaced the beat-up cap & base.

I re-worked the face of the slide stop to move freely, yet be secure on the plunger pin. I also re-fit the thumb safety to fully engage into the slide cut-out, and contoured/polished the surface that contacts the plunger pin so the safety smartly snicks on & off.

The trigger shoe fell off the trigger bow when I detail stripped the gun. It was apparently super-glued in place! I fit a new long Dlask magnesium/titanium trigger, which by the way took a very long time to get right. The bow needed a lot of straitening, and the shoe was oversized in both height (which is common) and length (which is bizzare, it was hitting the mag release).

Many edges were de-burred, a slight radius put on the muzzle. New screws were made for the scope mount.

I had to remove abot 3/16" off the end of the two-piece guide rode so it was flush with the end of the slide. I also added a hole through it for a take-down pin, and them loc-tited the thing together to effectively make it a one-piece.

The next steps are to,

1. install a functioning STI grip safety.

2. install an STI magwell

3. make a new slide racker

4. and do a lot of re-machining to the slide so the comp matches up better with the slide, and some "other" little things to make it look more cohesive. Then a re-blueing will be in order.

Many hours have already been spent, and its all been the "little things" that needed much attention

Tripp2011004.jpg

Tripp2011006.jpg

Tripp2011002.jpg

Tripp2011005.jpg

Tripp2011003.jpg

You can do things like round off all the square corners at the back of the slide, round off the back corner of the steel frame where the trigger bow stops, put 45* angles behind the thumb-safety pins & then narrow the grip safety to fit...

When I browse the classifieds for used guns I end up ignoring most of the ones that aren't blued for the above reasons. Rounding the back of the trigger-bow area really takes the sting out of shooting. First thing you notice if you are used to the Caspian frame.

I thought my "Strayer-Tripp International" frame was old until a couple guys like you broke out the TRI's.

You can do things like round off all the square corners at the back of the slide, round off the back corner of the steel frame where the trigger bow stops...

...Rounding the back of the trigger-bow area really takes the sting out of shooting. First thing you notice if you are used to the Caspian frame.

I thought my "Strayer-Tripp International" frame was old until a couple guys like you broke out the TRI's.

I'm with you there. That edge has gotta go!

Good luck with the PDP3 scope. When I started IPSC, I went through 5 PDP3s in about a year, 2 of them that were supposedly "bullet proofed" by a then-well regarded person.

Thanks...if the scope does fail, then I'll just have to fit another :)

You probably know this, but in case others are wondering, the scope mount is from George Huening....great mount that was even hard to get for a while. I have one on my single stack Open gun. It was one of the first that didn't seem to kill scopes and I never had to replace the PDP3 on mine.

You may consider an extended firing pin if you're not well stocked up on small rifle primers. I may have an STI magwell you can have....I'll take a look in the parts bin. R

Here's today's progress...

I blended the top of the slide and the radii to the comp. Damn that front sight notch. If only I could weld...

Trippprogess1003.jpg

Trippprogess1004.jpg

I also addressed the little annoying sharp edge at the back side of the trigger bow. I radiused the outside to match the inside contour.

Trippprogess1002.jpg

I surface ground the top & sides of the slide/comp so they match up better. I also rand a 45* chamfer along the bottom edge of the slide. A previous owner added a small rectangular pocket on the slide, and I engraved "38 Super" in there.

Trippprogess2001.jpg

Trippprogess2008.jpg

I also re-cut the slide serrations, which was more difficult that I could have imagined. The very uneven factory cuts were a bitch to clean up.

Trippprogess2005.jpg

Trippprogess2007.jpg

Edited by RussB

The parts are back from blue (done by Dave @ Black Oxide in Worcester, Mass)

To re-cap, here's what what parts were fitted to the pistol,

Caspian firing pin & Wolff spring

EGW oversized firing pin stop

19# mainspring, base pin & cap

Dlask long trigger

Caspian disconnector

Ed Brown mag release button

plunger tube spring & pins

STI magwell

Blending and dehorning of slide & frame, and a a refinish in Black Oxide.

I'm happy with the results :rock:

Trippprogess5005.jpg

Trippprogess5001.jpg

Trippprogess5002.jpg

Trippprogess5003.jpg

Trippprogess5008.jpg

Trippprogess5004.jpg

Thanks for sharing, enjoyed the post and your work. As an old shooter it's great to see life brought back to an old blaster.

Hope you have as much fun shooting it as the rebuild.

Thanks for the kind words :)

The most amazing thing is the dlask trigger is still silvery. Mine turned a dingy, dull gray almost instantly. 

Don't worry, mine has already turned a sickening brownish-gray after just about 500 rounds :angry2:

The most amazing thing is the dlask trigger is still silvery. Mine turned a dingy, dull gray almost instantly. 

Don't worry, mine has already turned a sickening brownish-gray after just about 500 rounds :angry2:

Bare Al will do that.

That is one nice blaster.

Gonna sound like a total noob here, but was Tripp the forerunner of STI?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STI_International

That is one nice blaster.

Gonna sound like a total noob here, but was Tripp the forerunner of STI?

Virgil Tripp was the "T" in STI

Tripp20117006.jpg

Edited by RussB

While burning the midnight oil I hacked in an undercut triggerguard,

Tripp20117001.jpg

Tripp20117005.jpg

and blended the front edge of the grip frame to match the radius of the STI magwell,

Tripp20117008.jpg

I also swapped out the grip safety for a new Ed Brown Memory groove unit, and this one actually functions. I prefer a grip safety that works as designed :closedeyes:

Trippprogress62.jpg

Trippprogress65.jpg

Edited by RussB