Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tripp 2011 Project

RussB

Nice. Wish I had the skill to do that kind of stuff...how you like the memory groove? Never tried one.

earl

The memory groove as Ed Brown calls it helps me to positively disengage the grip safety, every time and with a high grip

Good luck with the PDP3 scope. When I started IPSC, I went through 5 PDP3s in about a year, 2 of them that were supposedly "bullet proofed" by a then-well regarded person.

Oh, harbinger of doom! :devil:

Looks like that PDP3 "let go" today. I went from shooting nice little groups to spraying shots in a 2-foot pattern!

I was blaming the Tasco prematurely.

After I had to re-attach the comp, the bullets were making contact with the holes in the comp!

I opened up the comp's holes a bit, and all is well :cheers:

• 1 month later...

A long strange Tripp indeed! :roflol:

After about 600 rounds, I noticed severe battering of the barrels locking lugs, and peening in the lug recesses in the slide. Apparently the barrel was never properly fitted. The timing was way off. It didn't have enough clearance when unlocked and hit the VIS too soon. Bummer

I ordered up a new Caspian slide & Clark barrel, and had at it. So far this is where I'm at,

Tripp4-11-10003.jpg

Tripp4-11-10011.jpg

Tripp4-11-10009.jpg

I came up with a simple but effective cocking handle. The slide will get more lightening cuts when time allows.

Here's what I came up with for lightening cuts. I used a stub 3/16 TiAln carbide end mill with a .015" corner radius to do both the slots and the holes in the top. It took longer to de-burr than to actually mill the slide

Tripp4-13-10001.jpg

Tripp4-13-10002.jpg

Tripp4-13-10006.jpg

Next steps are to blend the back of the slide to the frame, re-blue the frame, slide & comp and then engrave "38 Super" under the ejection port

• 2 weeks later...

Got the parts back from Black Oxide today. B)

I did a high-polish on the slide and the small flats of the frame, using 2000 grit wet/dry paper. The rest of the frame, along with the recoil spring tunnel, back of the slide and the rear slide cut-outs got some glass bead blasting.

As is usual with me, I'll offer up way-to-many pictures

Tripp4-23-10002.jpg

Tripp4-23-10003.jpg

Tripp4-23-10004.jpg

Tripp4-23-10005.jpg

Tripp4-23-10010.jpg

Edited by RussB

Your pretty damn handy, whats your real job?

Tim

I'm a Tool & Die maker. The company I work for sends part to black oxide at least once a week, so I get to have my goodies "blued" at no cost to me :)

Edited by RussB

Really nice! Never too many pix of a job like this one. :cheers:

I'd like to have a Tripp frame gun. Just sound too sweet when you say it!

On the original slide... Was that a racker that you made or was that on there when you got it? If so, any idea who makes it? I have got to get a racker put on one gun and I've been told the slide is cut to "short" to mill for any type of dovetail. Maybe the one you have on there would work for me.

Thanks!

Russ, wonderful job bringing the gun back to life!!

I have the SS538 frame and the original box marked 'Prototype' ... has been a long while since I have seen another Trip frame!!!

Thanks Jordi, and very cool!

Do you know how old your frame is? The best guesstimate I could get from STI and Virgil was circa 1993

Edited by RussB

On the original slide... Was that a racker that you made or was that on there when you got it? If so, any idea who makes it? I have got to get a racker put on one gun and I've been told the slide is cut to "short" to mill for any type of dovetail. Maybe the one you have on there would work for me.

Thanks!

Someone else had made the original slide racker. It attached with two screws, and the top rear of the slide must be drilled & tapped. One of the holes will go through the extractor tunnel. It ain't the prettiest thing, either. Still interested?

Edited by RussB

Thanks!

Someone else had made the original slide racker. It attached with two screws, and the top rear of the slide must be drilled & tapped. One of the holes will go through the extractor tunnel. It ain't the prettiest thing, either. Still interested?

It's not my favorite solution but to be honest I'm not sure what else I can get away with. The slide on the gun I want to put a racker on is only .750" tall and it's cut way up toward the breech face. Something along the lines of that one, after a meeting with a mill, is probably the way mine is going to have to be done according to my 'smith. There's a 99% probability there isn't enough material to cut for a dovetail so surface mount is what I'm left with. I'm a lefty and run a Quinn mount so I only need it off the right side of the gun.

I guess the bottom line is I'm interested in the way it mounts. The actual design needs some work to be the best it can for me in my opinion. Any help/info is greatly appreciated!

I have the SS538 frame and the original box marked 'Prototype' ... has been a long while since I have seen another Trip frame!!!

Do you know how old your frame is? The best guesstimate I could get from STI and Virgil was circa 1993

Russ, cannot really remember the date but it was between 1992 and 1994.

For any memorabilia aficionado .. original box (and the gun of course)

Russ, cannot really remember the date but it was between 1992 and 1994. Most probably during the 1992 Nationals in Barry.

For any memorabilia aficionado .. original box (and the gun of course)

Edited by jriera

Detail of the inside cover of the box.

Look at the price!!

Thanks for the pics! B)

Funny that you can get a new frame for significantly less these days.

My gun also came with 7 original Chip McCormick 140mm magazines

Thanks, I enjoyed watching your work unfold, good post.

Great Blaster, hope you have as much fun shooting it as you have bring it back to life.

Thank you for the kind words :)

I'm having a ball shooting the gun. Got just about 1k of Precision-Delta 124's over 7.5 of 4756 through it...we run 2 steel matches a month as well.

Edited by RussB