Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 getting hung un on the down stroke

Ok i've snapped a few index assemblies (black plastic housing) and finally think that it's a primer that is getting caught on the shellplate while it is turning. I don't know what else it could be. Is there any adjustment that would allow the primer to set deeper from the shellplate? i've contacted dillon and each time we thought we had it fixed.

when it locks up, all you have to do is apply a hair bit of pressure to the opposite side (where you put the bullet on at) and it indexes fine. but it's a PITA.

I've taken the press apart many times and cleaned and lubed everything and even installed the complete new primer assembly that I had as a backup with no change.

Make sure that the spring loaded primer plunger (The shaft that seats the primers into the cases) is tight. If the primer plunger loosens up you will get high primers and it will also jam up the primer plate.

The other thing that you can look into is to make sure that the shell plate its self is tightened down enough. A lot of people forget to use the set screw to lock the big shell plate bolt into place after adjusting it and the bolt eventually works loose causing all kinds of problems.

Spray_N_Prey> Raise the ram to the top then look at the underside of the ram assembly. The primer plunger assembly is on the under side of the #2 position screwed into the underside of the ram. You need an open ended wrench to tighten it back up.

My primmer plunger got a build up on the in side of it and it was dragging on the shell plate and primers.

I doesn't look like it made to take apart and clean but I did it and solved my problem .

Brent

If the anvil is catching on the edge of the shellplate before it gets to the primer seating punch, it could be that the primers are defective. No one wants to hear this, but I have heard from a couple of customers where this finally proved to be the case. The anvils sat so high that they were well above the top of the primer disc. Something else to watch for :angry2:

well I talked to Gary @ Dillon and we found out that it was the primer punch assembly that has been causing me all of these problems, it's actually raised up above being flush. Parts in the mail. THanks again Dillon (they have had to send enough parts to replace). That's why I swear by Dillon Precision, not only a GREAT product but a SUPER GREAT customer service, the best I have EVER dealt with.

Thank you sooooo much Dillon Precision (and of course all you guys on this forum),

Shawn Ginardi

I had this happen recently also. I guess enough primer ash and crap got down into the punch assembly and made it so the pin would not go back down all the way. I tried taking the punch assembly apart to clean it out and found it was not a servicable item. Called up Dillon and got a new one and solved the problem.

Neal in AZ

Good stuff here but I have a question for Dillon:

post-400-126668892666_thumb.jpg

Couldn't the part indicated by the arrow be made a slightly smaller diameter so one could get a socket over it? Turning the punch 1/10000000000 of a turn with an open end wrench is not all that much fun!

Thanks,

Chuck

PS: OK, I exaggerated, it is really 1/100 of a turn :rolleyes:

Chuck, I always wondered why they didn't do something like that to make it easier to install? Since I did the cut off case thing and a hose for the priming system it is easier to get at but it is still a pain.

Neal in AZ

• 1 month later...

Another technique is as soon as you feel the arm begin to lockup, stop...lower the arm just until the Primer Index Arm is no longer touching the plastic activator.

lift up on the Primer index arm until the indexing paul is no longer in the primer hole. While holding the Index arm up, complete the stroke.

The next index should work as normal. If it tries to lock up again, you must not try this technique a second time as there will not be a primer ready for the new round.

I had this happen recently also. I guess enough primer ash and crap got down into the punch assembly and made it so the pin would not go back down all the way. I tried taking the punch assembly apart to clean it out and found it was not a servicable item. Called up Dillon and got a new one and solved the problem.

Neal in AZ

I have been able to clean my primer punches. Disassemble the spring, soak the punch in a solvent (I used brake cleaner), operate the punch several times and soak until it returns to it's full stop. It doesn't take long, but sometimes requires 3 hands to reassemble.

When removing the primer seating punch, it is MUCH easier if you first remove the primer cam #13670 from the upper right side of the frame. With this off, there is a lot more room to swing the wrench. :cheers:

The anvils were catching on mine and no matter what I did I couldn't fix it 100%. Off again on again, constantly causing stoppages (luckily no detonations). Some brands of primer worse than others. I cleaned and adjusted over and over, even took a little off the top of the plunger with no luck.

Then I changed my attack and ever so slightly chamfered the bottom of the leading edge of the hole in the shell plate. It's been trouble free ever since.