Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smith and Alexander Magwells

konkapot

Called S+A to order a magwell for a single stack. Very very nice people, super friendly and informative.

Their steel magwell weighs 2.9 oz.

Their aluminum one weighs 0.9 oz.

They do not recommend the aluminum one for high volume shooters; the lips of the magazines really chew up the inside of the magwell.

Again, good people to deal with.

FY42385

You can't beat a Smith & Alexander magwell, especially when professionally blended to the frame. Nothing looks or works better IMHO. These are examples of Rogers' and Caylor's work, but you can also do it at home yourself with a file if you're hardy enough (I did two) or with a Dremel if you're brave enough. ;)

post-6089-126634213979_thumb.jpg

post-6089-126634224588_thumb.gif

but you can also do it at home yourself with a file if you're hardy enough (I did two) or with a Dremel if you're brave enough. ;)

I still have a restraining order forbidding me to approach a Dremel, after the unfortunate "Carry Melt" incident with the Kimber. :unsure:

\

Haha, further reasons i dont even want to own a dremel...

I dont have mine blended yet, just installed. thinking about taking a file to it to smooth the edge out a tad.

but you can also do it at home yourself with a file if you're hardy enough (I did two) or with a Dremel if you're brave enough. ;)

I still have a restraining order forbidding me to approach a Dremel, after the unfortunate "Carry Melt" incident with the Kimber. :unsure:

When I disassemble my guns, I don't worry about ammo, but I do put the Dremel in the other room.

Called S+A to order a magwell for a single stack. Very very nice people, super friendly and informative.

They do not recommend the aluminum one for high volume shooters; the lips of the magazines really chew up the inside of the magwell.

FY42385

Konkapot,

Thanks for posting the weights. Just curious, are those for the flat or arched magwells?

I resorted to aluminum when I put my Trojan on a diet to make CDP weight, but I didn't have access to a scale at the time. OTOH, I did notice a significant weight difference when comparing the two. I was at 42 oz with a steel S&A, and your post confirms that I'm under 41 oz. so thanks for that.

Incidentally, I only have a few thousand rounds thru the aluminum magwell, and it's hardly "chewed up". I'm guessing it'll last for quite a while.

Two More Chains that was for flat; I didn't think to ask about arched. I can't imagine much more weight there.

The "chewed up magwells" comment was interesting; I would like to have followed up but I had to get off the phone.

I can only imagine what the General Shooting Public sends back to him for repair/replacement.

FY42385

The inside of my chrome plated steel ones are pretty scraped up from hard use. 16,500 rounds now. I imagine aluminum ones would be so deeply gouged as to slow you down. I can't imagine anyone choosing an aluminum one for a gun that's going to get used alot... or even some.

Since some of the folks reading this are in comparison mode, I figured I'd add info on one of the alternatives.

A Techwell XT (large) with matching Alumagrips weighs 3.1oz exactly. Keep in mind you'll still need a mainspring housing. If you go with a Techwell and a polymer mainspring housing it's going to weigh pretty much the same as a steel S&A and wood grips would. Pretty much a wash in the weight department. You could probably take some material off the inside of the Alumagrips to save weight, if needed, and the medium sized Techwell could also save a few tenths. I shortened up my XT by maybe .200" and it looks a lot like what the mid-size does (at least in pictures). R,

FY42385

Anyone know the weight of a SS Dawson ICE with the flat mainspring housing???

They are great people, I remember when they use to shoot the matches too.

that has been several years and split a time ago..

I sent in a ambi para mag release that I bought second hand they fixed

what was wrong and sent me a kool pin to boot.

I currently have one on every single stack that I own and two on my

para's.

J.Kee

Anyone know the weight of a SS Dawson ICE with the flat mainspring housing???

Probably fairly light as the inside looks to be a plastic of some sort. You might ask in one of the threads started about the Dawson magwell instead of here.

Edited by Steve J

I have a blued S&A on a Kimber and a stainless one on a Springer. I sent the Springer into their pro shop and they did a great job blending it in for me. S&A sold me the complete assembly since I was replacing the ILS on the Springer. It's a slick deal.

You have to admire Alan Smith. Not only was he smart enough to invent the integral mag funnel that's a part of the mainspring housing, he was smart enough to patent the idea, and aggressive enough to sue anyone who infringes on his patent. You see other mag funnel designs, they either affix directly to the frame or, if they affix to the mainspring housing, they're a separate piece that's held to the housing with a bolt or pin. Though this is touted as "allowing you to remove the funnel for carry if you want," every person within the industry to whom I've talked, who was really in the know, laughed at that and said, "That's really to get around Alan Smith's patent."

I greatly prefer the Smith & Alexander to any of the two-piece designs. AAMOF, the only mag funnel design period that eclipses the S&A in my opinion is the Heinie design that bolts or welds directly to the frame and allows installing a funnel while adding no length to the butt at all. For concealed carry, if not increasing the length of the butt is an overwhelming concern, this is probably the best way to go. OTOH, it does not escape my notice that if concealment was an overwhelming concern, we probably wouldn't be carrying a 1911 with full-length butt to start with. :lol:

You have to admire Alan Smith. Not only was he smart enough to invent the integral mag funnel that's a part of the mainspring housing, he was smart enough to patent the idea, and aggressive enough to sue anyone who infringes on his patent. You see other mag funnel designs, they either affix directly to the frame or, if they affix to the mainspring housing, they're a separate piece that's held to the housing with a bolt or pin. Though this is touted as "allowing you to remove the funnel for carry if you want," every person within the industry to whom I've talked, who was really in the know, laughed at that and said, "That's really to get around Alan Smith's patent."

I greatly prefer the Smith & Alexander to any of the two-piece designs. AAMOF, the only mag funnel design period that eclipses the S&A in my opinion is the Heinie design that bolts or welds directly to the frame and allows installing a funnel while adding no length to the butt at all. For concealed carry, if not increasing the length of the butt is an overwhelming concern, this is probably the best way to go. OTOH, it does not escape my notice that if concealment was an overwhelming concern, we probably wouldn't be carrying a 1911 with full-length butt to start with. :lol:

Dont patents expire after like a 10 yr period or something and after that, anyone can copy the idea? How much longer til there will be copycats in the market (not that ill buy them over the S&A-the originator deserves the credit and sale)