Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Auto comp

RickyH

• 2 weeks later...

Run 5" STI Open with 115 Zeros and 9.0 True Blue. Two snort holes and Vaneck comp. I too would like to know about using AutoComp as I won 8#. I don't think I can make major however. Discussed with Dave at Hodgdon's also.

Edited by james57

Just chronoed my 38 Super Autocomp loads.

Montana Gold 121 gr IFP, 8.0 gr Autocomp, CCI SPP, 1414 fps, 171 PF.

Zero 125 gr JHP, 7.8 gr Autocomp, CCI SPP, 1353 fps, 169 PF.

Barrel is a shuemann 3 port hybrid with a M2i six chamber comp.

Edited by luckylager

Seemed to put a lot of heat into the comp very quickly, but it shoots relatively flat and is a nice alternative to VV powders. I also like that it's dense enough that 8.0 gr isn't at the top of the case mouth. Anyone know how temperature sensitive it is?

in my 38SC with 7 port comp i run 7.6-7.8 autocomp compared to 8,3-8.6 true blue. i think the true blue has a little sharper recoil.

Can you compare the recoil of AutoComp to HS-6? Does AutoComp feel any softer?

I love this powder for steel, I use 115's for 9mm.

I'm going to see if I can safely make major with it. One of the best powders I have used so far.

Can you let us know how many grains of Auto Comp you are using with the 115s?

I love AutoComp for 9Major. It's easy to load too since it leaves lot's of space in the case. I use 7.0 gr. 124 MG CMJ 1.170 around 169pf through my 5in. STI 3 port comp with no popple holes.

Edited by JorDanO

KillJoy:

No problem, I'm slowly working my way up slowly with this in order to make major with the 115's safely. I'm going to have to do some interpolation. So far I only have a steel load that seems to work very well for me.

I just love how flat 115's shoot for me with anything so that's why I stick with them.

I love this powder for steel, I use 115's for 9mm.

I'm going to see if I can safely make major with it. One of the best powders I have used so far.

Can you let us know how many grains of Auto Comp you are using with the 115s?

I worked up to 5.4 grn with Berry's 115RN at 1.135

I love AutoComp for 9Major. It's easy to load too since it leaves lot's of space in the case. I use 7.0 gr. 124 MG CMJ 1.170 around 169pf through my 5in. STI 3 port comp with no popple holes.

I haven't tried AutoComp yet but your load is almost exactly what I get with WSF. I use 7.0 gr - 124 MG JHP - 1.150 OAL and get 173 PF. I've also shot some 7.5 gr - 125 Zero JHP - 1.150 OAL and they shoot very flat. I have not had a chance to chrono this load yet. 5" Storm Lake barrel and 7 chamber EGW comp, no holes. No signs of extreme pressure with either load.

I've also tried 7.8 gr of True Blue - 124 MG JHP - 1.150 OAL - 169 PF and I find that the recoil is sharp and it is very loud.

Edited by BMartens

Hi Everyone,

I've been using HS6, 5.9 grs and 147 gr Hornady HP/XPT that crono'ed at a pf of 155. I want to change to AutoComp and MG 147 gr CMJs. My gun is a 4 inch Service XD with a 3 port Springer Comp, a Springer Match barrel, a Springer Mag well, a Springer guide rod and 16# recoil spring and a Bobby Carver mount with a CMore red dot. I use the 147s because my gun simply will not shoot a lighter bullet without stove piping. I've tried 115 and 124 HP/XPT, Berrys and a few others without much luck.

Can anyone suggest a load using AutoComp and the MG 147 CMJs?

Thanks,

Hi Everyone,

I've been using HS6, 5.9 grs and 147 gr Hornady HP/XPT that crono'ed at a pf of 155. I want to change to AutoComp and MG 147 gr CMJs. My gun is a 4 inch Service XD with a 3 port Springer Comp, a Springer Match barrel, a Springer Mag well, a Springer guide rod and 16# recoil spring and a Bobby Carver mount with a CMore red dot. I use the 147s because my gun simply will not shoot a lighter bullet without stove piping. I've tried 115 and 124 HP/XPT, Berrys and a few others without much luck.

Can anyone suggest a load using AutoComp and the MG 147 CMJs?

Thanks,

Have you ever tried changing to a lighter main spring? 16# seems pretty heavy considering you're running a 9mm with a comp. The slide won't cycle far back enough to eject your spent casings thus resulting in a stove pipe scenario.

Tried some for the first time today, I have a Caspian with three port comp and two poppel holes.

Weather conditions where sunny with 3-5mph wind gusts, 81 degrees farenheight, here's my results.

124gr Montana Gold JHP

8.5gr True Blue

OAL= 1.190

Max Vel = 1356

Min Vel = 1338

Avg Vel = 1344

PF = 166.7

Extreme Spread = 18.3

Standard Dev. = 6.0

124gr Montana Gold JHP

7.0gr Win Auto-Comp

OAL = 1.190

Max Vel = 1318

Min Vel = 1276

Avg Vel = 1301

PF = 161.3

Extreme Spread = 42

Standard Dev. = 10.6

No pressure sign observed. It was noticably milder report than the True-Blue. I intened to bump it up by 0.2gr incriments and see if it makes major before showing pressure sign.

Auto Comp is now my powder of choice. With 124gr MG CMJ I use 7.4 grains for PF of between 166 and 169 out of a short barrel. The recoil is definitely softer than most other popular powders.

Tried some for the first time today, I have a Caspian with three port comp and two poppel holes.

Weather conditions where sunny with 3-5mph wind gusts, 81 degrees farenheight, here's my results.

124gr Montana Gold JHP

8.5gr True Blue

OAL= 1.190

Max Vel = 1356

Min Vel = 1338

Avg Vel = 1344

PF = 166.7

Extreme Spread = 18.3

Standard Dev. = 6.0

124gr Montana Gold JHP

7.0gr Win Auto-Comp

OAL = 1.190

Max Vel = 1318

Min Vel = 1276

Avg Vel = 1301

PF = 161.3

Extreme Spread = 42

Standard Dev. = 10.6

No pressure sign observed. It was noticably milder report than the True-Blue. I intened to bump it up by 0.2gr incriments and see if it makes major before showing pressure sign.

I love information like this but if someone is not familiar with the various overall lengths then they would have no idea what cartridge is being discussed and even then one might still wonder, least I do.

earl

124gr Montana Gold JHP

8.5gr True Blue

OAL= 1.190

Max Vel = 1356

Min Vel = 1338

Avg Vel = 1344

PF = 166.7

Extreme Spread = 18.3

Standard Dev. = 6.0

124gr Montana Gold JHP

7.0gr Win Auto-Comp

OAL = 1.190

Max Vel = 1318

Min Vel = 1276

Avg Vel = 1301

PF = 161.3

Extreme Spread = 42

Standard Dev. = 10.6

I love information like this but if someone is not familiar with the various overall lengths then they would have no idea what cartridge is being discussed and even then one might still wonder, least I do.

earl

Those are either very short 38 Supers or very long 9 mm. I would be a littel apprensive at stuffing 8.5gr of TruBlue behind a 124gr in 38 Super 1.240, I tried it and my primers went very flat at 8.4gr and looked like they were at the verge of puch thru. I was using Fed SP which I like to test with since they show pressure signs before it gets out of hand. I read that primers can affect pressue up to 2,000 CUP, maybe they are are the high pressure generators of the lot.