Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hodgdon powdes for 45acp

earlbob

Have not reloaded or shot much since the early 90's and have recently picked up the guns and began to play again. Them eyes are a bit different now due to that age thang but I can still hit the target which makes it fun! There is a sale of Hodgdons powder on at Cabela's right now (Feb.9, 2010) and I thought I might stock up a bit and get 8 lbs of one of their powders. I am not sure which is best for the 45 acp and am also ignorant of or if there is cross-usability in other calibers. I shoot a 9mm and 38 super also so if one is good for all 3 that would be sweet. Don't expect it though. Anyways if I could get some different opinions from the wise IPSC shooters out there it might save me some money and lower my stress levels a biot today LOL...

thanks for your help,

love ya, earl

Titegroup for all 3 if velocity are within reason.

But for the 45 acp I think Clays is the best.

+1 to that ..

+1 on Clays in the 45, soft and clean.

But since you asked for 9, 45, and 38 Super Winchester WST it works well in all 3. I have loaded it in 45, 40, 9 mm, and 38 Super Minor. It is reverse temp sensative so it gets more fps in colder temps and loses its edge above 110. I can load 3 of the 4 calibers without changing the powder measure.

200gr Precision 45 acp 4.7gr 168pf

124gr Montana Gold 9 mm 4.7gr 130pf

185gr Precision 40S&W 4.7gr 171pf

38Super Minor 115gr Zero 5.0gr 125pf (steel load in compensated gun)

38Super Minor 124gr MTG 4.8gr 128pf ""

I have used TiteGroup and find it a good powder but only for jacketed bullets. It burns very hot. It was developed for Cowboy action shooting, its a little dirty but not bad. I found it very snappy in 38 Super, and a little more snappy in 9 mm. Works best in 40 with heavy 200 gr jacketed bullet @ 4.3gr.

im using titegroup now, mainly b.c i can't get Clays to meter well for me in my measure. Going to order some new stuff and try again b/c i sooo much about Clays for .45

Edited by Corey

I found Hodgdons loading information and they have several powders listed as better suited to the Clays powder. Longshot (never heard of it), HS-6, Universal, HP-38, and Titegroup all are listed before Clays. Is there a reason why you all like Clays better then those?

thanks for your time, earl

I found Hodgdons loading information and they have several powders listed as better suited to the Clays powder. Longshot (never heard of it), HS-6, Universal, HP-38, and Titegroup all are listed before Clays. Is there a reason why you all like Clays better then those?

thanks for your time, earl

Clays is one of the fastest burning powders out there and so gives the softest recoil impulse of most powders. I use it for 40 as well but in the 40 it is very high pressure and one small reloading error will make the top of your gun come off. However in the big low pressure 45 case clays is just right.

Powders such as HS-6 and Longshot are slower and will significantly increase the "felt" recoil...not good for fast shooting ..

HP-38 is a good powder for .45... as well as .38 Spl. It's virtually identical to Win 231, and those two are my choices for .38 and .45, and it can work with 115 & 124 grain 9mm. Longshot is a newer powder and the folks at Hodgdons tell me it is not temperature sensitive. I've used it in 9mm (147 grain) with excellent results and in .45. It doesn't do well with greatly reduced loads... but it is very good for the PF loads we have to run in IDPA & USPSA. In the .38 Spl it needs a pretty good loading density to get a complete burn in that larger volume case and minimal ES, but the 9mm and .45 cases are small volume enough that it works well there. Clays is a popular choice for jacketed .45 ACP loads, and I have used it there. Have not used it on 9mm because it burns fast and that small case seems to work better with mid-range powders (WSF for 147 grains is my 9mm favorite, although Longshot is good). If you are looking for one Hodgdon powder for 9mm and .45 I think you'll be happy with Longshot.

Chris Christian

i believe titegroup is acatually faster burning than Clays. if burn rate is the vital aspect, why not titegroup over Clays? I understand titegroup smokes a lot with lead/moly bullets (ill find out when i can get to the range), how does Clays react to the lead/moly bullets????

I like a powder that is going to give me more rounds per pound. Clays will give over 1600 rds per pound of powder compared to others. If we as shooters are looking for the cheapest buy on primers, brass and bullets why not also include powder in the picture.

I like a powder that is going to give me more rounds per pound. Clays will give over 1600 rds per pound of powder compared to others. If we as shooters are looking for the cheapest buy on primers, brass and bullets why not also include powder in the picture.

That thought was in my mind as I seen the Longshot was also kind of long on the throw weight. Almost double the Clays, if I figured it right 42% more on the 230Gr RNL, which means almost double the expense. Longshot does give more velocity at less pressure then the Clays. It would be nice if they priced the stuff so they equaled out on the cost per 1000 rounds.

Dream om dude LOL

Catch you later as earlbillyjoebob-a-kowski is soon to be heading off into the snore zone...

i believe titegroup is acatually faster burning than Clays. if burn rate is the vital aspect, why not titegroup over Clays? I understand titegroup smokes a lot with lead/moly bullets (ill find out when i can get to the range), how does Clays react to the lead/moly bullets????

Clays is faster then Titegroup, about 4-5 powders higher on most powder burn rate charts. Titegroup is an excellent choice of powder as well for the same felt recoil reducing, fast cycling, tracking, properties. However titegroup is a lot hotter and dirtier. I have used Clays and titegroup with lead bullets in .40 and .45. Clays smokes but so what, Titegroup "really" smokes.

A rule I have been useing for .40 and .45 powders, if you can make major with under 5.0grs of powder in the 180 to 200gr. bullet weight then the powder is fast enough for our game..

Titegroup,Clays,WST,N320,etc..etc..

Anything more then say 4.9grs for this weight and you have lots of excess powder/gas to burn off after the bullet has left the barrel...

ive always kinda gone off this chart: http://www.reloadbench.com/burn.html

i really want to try Clays for all the reviews it gets

??? How about this one from "Hodgden" http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html

Burn rate is not the end all, most powders we use regularly are generly in the same burn rate area but so are some others that do not work as well for these applications. Titegroup and Clays are proven powders for these calibers...

I'm switching to Solo 1000 for everything after I finish the last of my 4lb jug of Clays. Clays has served me well for over 4 years, but Clays won't load 9mm with 147s and I won't even try it with 180s in .40, so S1000 is the new game in town.

Clays is great in .45 though.

I used to use 231 in 9mm, .40, and .45, but, switched to Titegroup for 9mm and .40, and switched to Clays for .45--I think in 2004.

The only issue I've come across is that Clays gets a 10-15 pf increase at 85 degrees, compared to 35-40 degrees.