Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just shot some IPSC, and thinking about IDPA, USPSA...which glock

.45er

Hello. I am a long time custom 1911 shooter and recently have been bitten by the IPSC bug. I am running my bullseye guns now, but am looking for something to run in the production class. If I get a glock and keep it fairly stock except for maybe a fiber optic front sight and extended mag release will I be able to shoot production class in IPSC, IPDA, and USPSA? What caliber and length would you recommend for an all around gun?

I have been reading a lot and it seems in IPSC many run with the 34. Would I be less competitive with a 21, 22, or 17?? Thanks in advance. I am fairly open to caliber all my pistols are .45 acp now, but am considering .40 and 9mm as well.

If you are considering fairly stock Glock models for Production division then I would recommend the G34. Out of the box, the model 34 comes with a 4.5 pound trigger pull while the model 17 is equipped with a 5.5 pound trigger pull. The line of sight is greater on the G34 (7.56 inches vs. 6.49 inches) and the same is true with the barrel length (5.32 inches vs. 4.49 inches). The model 34 is considered a "competition" model from the manufacturer and comes with an extended magazine release button as well as an extended slide stop release.

If you want to keep the 1911 discipline, you may want to consider the Single Stack division as well.

Hi .45er

Welcome to the forum! I have a question: When you say "IPSC" do you mean IPSC or USPSA? There are differences in the rules. For example: the G34 and G35 are not approved IPSC production guns!

Later,

Chuck

PS: It's production division: Class is for people, Division is for equipment ;)

http://www.ipsc.org/

http://www.uspsa.org/

Edited by ChuckS

In USPSA Production and IDPA Stock Service Pistol, the Glock 34 is the game gun of choice. Though frankly in my testing I can shoot a Glock 17 just as well.

The "5.5 pound" and "4.5 pound" terminology refers to the connector, a trigger system part inside the gun that does affect trigger pull weights, however "5.5" and "4.5" are at best vague guesses and really don't say anything about what the actual trigger pull weights will be. Glocks are not quite the homogeneous units that some people like to think. Trigger pulls do vary quite a bit between guns. Hell, you take the exact same trigger components and switch them to a another gun, you're probably going to get a lighter or heavier trigger pull.

The extended parts on the G34 are not really a great selling point for experienced shooters. The majority of us pull the extended slide release off the gun and replace it with the low profile part off a Glock 17. If you shoot with a straight thumbs grip, and most of us do, the extended slide release will either be depressed by the shooting hand thumb, resulting in failures of the action to lock open when empty, or the heel of the support hand, pushing up on the extended slide release, will cause the action to lock open with rounds still in the magazine. It's just a total loser.

Frankly I've also pulled the extended mag release button off my own Glock 34. I've just seen too many people who've depressed the extended button when grabbing the gun off a table start at a match (the hand grabbing the gun pushes down on the gun, the mag button depresses, the mag falls out of the gun on your first shot) and actually had it happen to me once myself, to be comfortable with an extended button on a competition Glock. So that comes off and gets replaced by the low profile part off a Glock 17, as well.

Short form, the extended slide stop and magazine release button on the Glock 34 don't fall under the category of "desirable competition features" that you'll want on the gun. They fall under the category of "parts I'm going to need to change". The Glock 17, OTOH, comes with the parts you want, already on the gun. And the base gun is less expensive, to boot. As I said earlier, in my own testing I found I can shoot a 17 just as well as a 34, so that's what I run these days. I do switch out for the lighter connector, and slick up the trigger action a bit myself, though.

Having said that, I've put a lot of rounds though my G34, it's a great gun, and if you just want a Glock 34, have at it. You'll be very pleased. But with more experience I do believe you'll find you can't do anything with a G34 that you can't do less expensively with a G17.

Thanks for the replies. I am in the US (Bismarck, North Dakota) so I guess I may have been using some wrong terminology calling it "IPSC" I have done a little playing around with new 4th Gen 22 and the one thing I liked a lot about that was the oversized mag release (one less part to change out I guess) other than that I am pretty open. Reloding is not a problem as I have a 550B that I can setup for whatever new caliber I choose. I have been trying to take in as many videos as possible and have noticed all the model 34's and was just curious if if would be the gun to choose over the 17....22....etc etc.

The big benefit to the 9mm guns in production is factory ammo that makes minor power factor. All guns in production are scored minor so there is no benefit to shooting hot factory 40 ammo. Since you are set up to reload and have a 22 already, I say load low power 40s that make minor by not a lot and compete with that. You should be competitive at a pretty low cost.

One more thing to add....sorry about all the questions lol. I don't own a 22 was just playing around with the new one at the store. I primarily shoot lead bullets so I would need to look for a drop in barrel is that going to change any input on gun selection and or caliber?

Yeah I know about the KB's etc and the no advised use of lead directly from Glock and I have no problem with that as I would just drop in a Lone Wolf or Storm Lake. I meant more as in I shouldn't run into any problems with the rules in production division using an aftermarket barrel am I correct??

From the Permitted Modifications (Inclusive List) section of the IDPA Rule Book regarding Stock Service Pistol:

6. Internal accuracy may be worked to include replacement of barrel with one of factory configuration and original caliber.

"Of factory configuration" has been deemed to refer to the external configuration of the barrel, not its rifling. So the short answer is, yes, it's legal to replace the factory Glock barrel with a Storm Lake, Lone Wolf, etc.

Yeah I know about the KB's etc and the no advised use of lead directly from Glock and I have no problem with that as I would just drop in a Lone Wolf or Storm Lake. I meant more as in I shouldn't run into any problems with the rules in production division using an aftermarket barrel am I correct??

Here's the pertinent language from the latest Production Rules interpretation:

BARRELS: Current rules remain in effect - you may replace the barrel with an OEM or aftermarket barrel which is of the same length, contour and caliber as the original barrel for that model of gun. Special Notes/Clarifications: For purposes of this interpretation, a barrel within +/- 0.1” of OEM is “the same length”.

So the .40-9mm conversion barrels are out, but as long as you replace a Glock G-22 barrel with a Lone Wolf or Storm Lake .40 barrel for the G-22, you should be o.k.....

Hello: Get a Glock 34. I would join GSSF first then see what they offer :cheers: I have owned Glock 22's,23's,19's,17's,34's and 35's. Sometimes a couple at the same time :roflol: I like the 9mm Glocks the best. I do shoot STI's as well. The Glock 34 does all I want for IDPA and USPSA. You can use it for shooting steel as well. The Glock 34 with good sights and some parts changing works great. Get yourself 8 mags and you are ready. I am going to start my 11 year old son on the Glock 34 with sub minor loads since he likes it better than the G17. If you end up liking the Glock plateform then you can get another Glock. Thanks, Eric

Hey .45er,

Where do you shoot USPSA and IDPA at? I am interested because I live in Grand Forks and we only have IDPA locally but I have family in Bismarck and am there quite frequently. I shoot a Glock 34 in IDPA SSP and ESP (by changing out to a steel guide rod/ spring and magwell). I like the extra sight radius but think it is really personal preference.

Thanks, Cody

you cant go wrong with any Glock you decide to get to play with, asforthe KB issue, its been covered here very well, tho i will add a couple lines to it, for some odd reason my newly aquired G30 does not like my lead reloads, gags every time, runs like a top with jacketed tho...

the 34/35 pretty much rule the production roost, but as some have said, they 'fee;' like they cycle a bit slower than the 17's...

so Grand Forks has an IDPA club??? where at?? when i was stationed there back in the mid 80's there was but 1 range, G an G shooters supply out on RR 2 between the base and town, I used to stop an play a couple times a week after work

Hey .45er,

Where do you shoot USPSA and IDPA at? I am interested because I live in Grand Forks and we only have IDPA locally but I have family in Bismarck and am there quite frequently. I shoot a Glock 34 in IDPA SSP and ESP (by changing out to a steel guide rod/ spring and magwell). I like the extra sight radius but think it is really personal preference.

Thanks, Cody

We have been getting together here in Bismarck at the new indoor range. I have never done it before and it is more so some of the others can keep their skills up.