Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Kaboom

bbbean

Got my brand-spanking-new custom 1911 in Friday, and grabbed a few rounds and a steel plate to break it in.

First two rounds, the gun cycles perfectly, POI and POA are where they need to be, and life is good. 3rd round misses the plate, and doesn't eject properly. That should have let me know something was wrong, but the next round loaded properly, so I attributed the FTE to the 20 degree temps and a new gun. 4th round makes a tiny "pop", and doesn't eject at all. I recognize the signs of a squib load, and try to clear the gun, but its jammed so tight that I can't budge it at all.

Then I check out the other end of the gun:post-14972-126487666022_thumb.jpg

Not what you want to see. Now I need some ideas on how to get this gun cleared without damaging it any more than it already is so I can ship it back to the smith for a new barrel, bushing, and whatever else I may have damaged.

And, of course, the rest of that batch of ammo just went into the pull can.

Thats pretty ugly <_<

I think the barrel is going to be badly bulged behind the bushing....locking the gun up hard

Try using a metal bushing wrench to remove the bushing...its split and i bet wedged real hard, if you can rotate it you should be able to pry it out

Make sure of muzzle direction...I would vise the gun.and stay sharp at where its pointed.

Very Small chance it has a live round in it....but NEVER assume that!!

If you can get the bushing out...it should tear down

Jim

wow!!! Any idea what caused that?

Until I can get the gun open, I'm just guessing, but my theory is that I had an uncleared squib followed by another squib. Suspect I'm lucky the damage wasn't worse

I would drill and tap the bullet . then pull it . Or try to drill the bullet out .

your gun smith should be able to get it apart also . It sucks , hope the gun is ok other than barrel and bushing

Just spitballing here and have never done it but would an ez-out be an option to get at least the projectile in the nose out? Never heard of it being done and there

may be a damn good reason it won't. Just wondering.

Wow.

If you can get it in a vice, try the bushing first as suggested. Next , when I had the squib, I cocked the hammer back, plastic tied the hammer to the grip frame, and while pulling back on the slide tap the top of the barrel hood it may slowly unlock, it worked for me. Good luck and be safe.

Edited by fastarget

You could drill the bullet, or pound it back down the bore an inch or two. If the barrel is bulged behind it, it should move pretty free once it starts.

Once it's further back, you should be able to put some vice grips on the barrel tip and get the bushing to turn. Once the bushing is off it should be pretty easy to do the rest.

That's pretty impressive though. Never seen that one.

Good luck to ya!

That sucks....had one but it didn't split the barrel just bulged it.

Think you can dremel cut the slidestop off, pound out the pin. and then vice grip the barrel bushing off with the slide stop removed from the gun?

Edited by rrflyer

I appreciate all the suggestions, but after taking a good hard look at the gun, a thorough consideration of my metalworking skills, and a few e-mails from my gunsmith, and I think I'm going to let the professional handle it. Now I'm just crossing my fingers that the damage is limited to barrel and bushing.

I recently had the same experience although the barrel was clear after. The last round I fired had no recoil and a muffled sound with a puff of smoke out the sides. It was locked up tight. When I get it back from S&W ($240) I'll post some photos.

I had that happen to a colt gold cup. What happened was the owner fired a .40cal round, the slide cycled and chambered the next .45cal round. He pulled the trigger and it just went "POP" kinda odd. Good thing that the slide was stuck in place. I got the cross pin to come out so I could deal with the slide assembly. I clamped the assembly in a vice took out the firing pin, slowly drilled the lead out ,got the bushing to turn and dropped the dead pieces out. Happy to say a new barrel and bushing got the gold cup back to tack driver status. The lesson here is to never pick rounds up off of the ground with out looking at them to make sure they are the proper cabiber.

It hope this goes well for you my shooting friend.

Randy RPM8Shot

USPSA A27966

The Glock forum (maybe not ours but the other one) is going to have a ball with all the 1911 KB admissions. It took 5 years and a gunsmith inspection to dicover my magazine speed unload caused more damage than just the magazine.