Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What distance do you zero your 3 gun rifle scope?

bthp

I was just curious as to what distance people generally zero their rifle scope for 3 gun matches (assuming you aren't using one of the scopes with the BDC type reticle). I have heard everything from 25 yards to 300 yards.

My guess is it depends on the distances you typically see at the matches you attend. I the Ohio Valley a long shot is typically 100 yards and I can hear the guys out West laughing right now, but it is what it is. I sight my gun/ACOG in at 100 yards as the rise on closer shots is minimal for the speeds at which I try to shoot.

This is one of those threads where I wished the Original Poster (the OP) would list his location.

I'm not all that much of a 3 gunner, but I reckon that a few folks here on the board could give him better advice depending on if he is in the southwest versus say the east coast.

As in..."Oh, yeah, I have shot at the XYZ club near you. They routinely shoot out to 100/200/300/400 yards."

I shoot in the hills of Kentucky so 100-150 is about as far as we are going to see for the majorities of our matches. I use a 50 yard zero, that brings me back in at 200 and is close enough for everything from 5-100 for just point and shoot.

You might glean some good info from Here and Here.

Merlin is explaining the merits of doing a search on a common topic. Many times a search will yield the answers you are seeking rather starting a repetitive topic. Just FYI for future topics. Its considered good practice. :cheers:

I use iron sights but it's the same thing for zeroing. I zero first at 50 yards and then fine tune the zero at 200 yards. Most loads for at least for .223 will hit virtually the same at 50 yards and 200 yards for the same zero.

Jeff

My guess is it depends on the distances you typically see at the matches you attend. I the Ohio Valley a long shot is typically 100 yards and I can hear the guys out West laughing right now, but it is what it is. I sight my gun/ACOG in at 100 yards as the rise on closer shots is minimal for the speeds at which I try to shoot.

All my local 2-gun (rifle/pistol) is inside a 30-yard bay. I shoot a circle/dot reticle Millet. The dot is at POI 25 yards. The bottom of the circle is POI at 5 yards. Works for my matches.

Jeff

Ah, thanks for the input and links, that was what I was looking for. I tried the search, but obviously I didn't get it right.

I shoot in the east, but occasionally travel to matches out west such as the SMM3G. However, I have some farmland that allows me to shoot here at distances of 600 yards and beyond (not that I can necessarily hit anything that far out). Anyway I ran across a very good deal on Swarovski scopes. A dealer here is closing out the line. Unfortunately, he didn't have the Z6 1 x6, but he did have a non illuminated Z6 1.7 x10 and an illuminated Z6 2 x 12. I normally don't like the 1.5 as a starting point, but for some reason, I wasn't really opposed to the 1.7. It still has approximately 75 ft fov at 100 yards and I seemed to pick up things somewhat quick with it on the 1.7 setting. Since it is a pretty good deal, I was considering picking up one of these and using one of the side mounted JP iron sites. I spent a good bit of time in the Swarovski booth at SHOT this year admiring the 1 x 6, but I didn't really investigate the 1.7. When I tried out the 1.7 this afternoon, it really didn't seem much, if any slower than the Swarovski PV 1.5 x 6 that they had (I didn't like the 1.5's reticle).

I guess I'm changing subjects a bit, but does anyone have an opinion on this idea? Do those JP sights work pretty good? I was considering the Burris XTR, but I was really impressed with the Swaros. Oh, the reticles were the plex in the 1.7 x 10 and the 4-AI in the 2 x 12. That's kind of why I was wondering about the zero distances. My other scopes have the BDC drop lines in the reticle.

Sorry about the rambling post.

Being new to rifles, I had always assumed that there was some "standard distance" to use for a zero and that was 100yds. After seeing people talk about doing a zero at ranges from 50 to 275 yds, I decided to do some reading and found some information that suggested using ballistics charts to find an optimal zero.

I'm still experimenting but it would appear that for me, shooting a .223 69gr SMK at 3000fps, a 50yd zero would cover me ±2" from 0 to 275yds. Still more research to go.

Being new to rifles, I had always assumed that there was some "standard distance" to use for a zero and that was 100yds. After seeing people talk about doing a zero at ranges from 50 to 275 yds, I decided to do some reading and found some information that suggested using ballistics charts to find an optimal zero.

I'm still experimenting but it would appear that for me, shooting a .223 69gr SMK at 3000fps, a 50yd zero would cover me ±2" from 0 to 275yds. Still more research to go.

Are you actually getting 3000fps out of an AR?

Are you actually getting 3000fps out of an AR?

Don't know. Right now I'm just learning so I'm working mainly on theory. 3000 fps is the top end for Varget and AA2230 which are the two powders I have. I don't think I can make that because I only have an 18" barrel (1 in 8) 5.56 but 2900 should be possible and the ballistics are not that much different - unless of course I'm really screwing up the calculations - which is equally possible.

I have some factory Sellier & Bellot ammo factory loaded with 69 siera matchkings that are doiing 2950 average out of my 20'' CTR02 upper.

i zero my rifle at 225 meters(245yds),but for our indoormatches i zero at 100 meters (110 yds) because off the max distance off 100 meters there.

We use alot off clay targets at our indoor ipsc matches at 100 meter stages