Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22 Conversion Kit

Law Dawg

Worth it for what purpose? I've had every kind of 22 conversion known and finally came to the conclusion that if I want a dependable target 22 pistol buying a complete pistol is the way to go. Browning Buckmarks are very good for the price and the S&W 41 is a beauty. If on the other hand you want to get cheap practice with the gun you shoot the conversion is ok. The problem with them is that they work well on some frames and not on others, if you happen to have a frame that doesn't work you will have to play around with springs to get it functional if ever. To me that takes the fun out of it.

LD,

There are a few past thread that talk about practicing with a .22 or a conversion. You might be able to find them by using the search feature.

As I recall, many have used them...and say it helps...but don't do it very often.

That has been my experience as well.

I like my Advantage Arms .22 top end for the Glock. Shoots into 1" at 25yds. As far as I know its the only accurate, 19oz .22 pistol out there. Pretty sure the .22 Marvel would lighten up an Open gun and it is very accurate too.

Although I *could* use mine to do cheap easy practice out of the holster or even running around on practice field courses, I don't think that's the best benefit. I stopped doing Bill Drills and shoot2-reload-shoot2 because the recovery is so different than Major caliber. Don't really use a timer either.

I settled into using the .22 slide for slow-fire groups, bench-rest groups (something I was always bad at, now I do it better than standing) and weak-hand/strong-hand. I take care to use the exact same grip & stance that work best shooting the 40 one-handed. My trigger control has gone from good to VERY good.

What I really love using it for is one-shot-per-target. I stick 4 or 5 little red stickers on cardboard, in a row left to right, and just run the target backer out to 5 yards or so. I shoot back & forth until the 10-round clips run out then change mags. The holes in the target are so small and close together that I dont need masking tape most of the time. Just more red stickers.

It really helps to reinforce *looking* to the next spot you want to hit and *being still* on that spot as you shoot it. Especially one-handed. You can set up any pattern and just pop-pop-pop connect the dots. Point your hips at each target the same way & you'll start to see the sights centered up, waiting for you. B)

I have an unlimited yearly membership at an indoor range, and now the .22 lets me use that on the way from work at least 2 more days per week. Without picking up brass or reloading. Then the last practice before a match is strictly with the 40.

I like my conversions (a hacked-up Ceiner and a Marvel) a lot, but the annoying thing about having them on an Open gun is you have to rezero the sights every time you switch. No biggie on an Aimpoint, but annoying on a C-more. I usually end up leaving the conversion on one frame and shooting it as a .22 only.

With a dot gun, the .22 with no comp has a similar dot bounce to steel loads.

Depending on the cost of the conversion you're better off getting a Buckmark. I got 2 of them, one with a tasco pro point and the other with just plain iron sights. One for open and the other for limited practice. Drawbacks are, triggers aren't the same as my raceguns, and the girth of the grips are totally skiny than my Caspian high caps. I think it helps me out economically and learning trigger control. josh

My vote is for the Marvel conversion kit. This setp allows you to practice with you race gun. Isn't that the point? The other benefit you can shoot the Steel Challange rimfire event. You will not have to adjust to diffrent guns etc. They are very accurate. I really can't think of any other reason not to get a Marvel kit.

The other question is it worth it? Well, thats really up to you. If you are looking to save some money on practiceammo then yes. The recoil impulse will be diffrent on the other hand you can practice trigger control, indexing and follow through. There is some merit to this. These fundementals can be carried over to major also. Might be a little off topic but, I have a friend that shoots an airsoft in the off season in his house. Just shoots groups he feels that this has improved his shooting dramatically. Maybe it has he finally made GM.

Don't know about Wilson's but the Ciener kit won't work on anything but a 45.. The ejector slot in the slide is 45 size..Doesn't mean that it couldn't be altered,simple cut on a mill I believe,to open up the ejector slot in slide .. Or one can remove the ejector,major pain, when using the kit.. I tried a pre ban Govt, mod. kit on son in laws Officer size Kimber and it worked very well,just made it into a 5in gun..

Hope this is of some help..

• 1 year later...

I just searched and found this thread. I'm wondering about be able to use the same 22 marvel topend for both open and limited. I seen on the marvel website you can order a topend with adj sights and scopemount?? Anyone use this one?? Is the scope mount on the top with the adjustable sights or do you have to take the sights off to use the scopemount??

Flyin40

The Marvel conversion with interchangable scope/sights is built with a fixed barrel and a "slide" sort of like the Buckmark on S&W 41-- There's a removable top rib. You either get the scope one which has a weaver rail, or the sights one, which has adjustable sights but no rail. As I've posted before, it does also work with no top rail at all if you've got a frame-mounted scope.

There's another Marvel conversion that doesn't have interchangable rails-- it's the cheaper one and comes with irons only.

Btw, on my Ceiner hack-job I had to open up the ejector tunnel to fit my .38 Super STI frame. No big deal. No important parts there.

Stuart, Marvel buys mags from Metalform, then cuts the slide stop tab off of the follower, hence no slidelock back on last round. Big deal. Metalform makes them to ACE specs. Try having a dealer order them for you, cheaper than wholesale through brownells....Hint Hint.... :ph34r: DougC