Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Long Range shooting Demo

ALBY

now that I know how to play it, its a TON of fun, just got a 93. ive got the elevation down, the windage is still kinda a guess for me.

After I showed this to my boss ( :cheers: ), he showed me the game he has on his computer. Its the NRA Highpower competition game. I got the free 30 minute download and got hooked on it too. Gonna have to spend the $9.99 to buy that one I think too. Oh noes, if they ever get to shoot their real long range rifles, im gonna have a new addiction to go along with my other new one (the reason I'm on this forum ;) )

• 4 months later...

I am totally failing at the wind compensation part. I have no background at all in long range shooting so I'm just going based on the tips in the simulation and the first site I googled on mil-dot ranging. What I came up with is:

windage clicks = (wind drift for estimated range in inches/mph) * (wind speed in mph) * (1/36) * (estimated range/1000)

That's clearly wrong though, because it always gives me fewer clicks than I end up needing, even when I have the range correct. Plus I'm not sure quite what to use in the calculations when the wind is coming out of the Northeast (vs. out of due East), nor what effect (if any) the wind might have on my elevation clicks.

Fun though!

I am totally failing at the wind compensation part. I have no background at all in long range shooting so I'm just going based on the tips in the simulation and the first site I googled on mil-dot ranging. What I came up with is:

windage clicks = (wind drift for estimated range in inches/mph) * (wind speed in mph) * (1/36) * (estimated range/1000)

That's clearly wrong though, because it always gives me fewer clicks than I end up needing, even when I have the range correct. Plus I'm not sure quite what to use in the calculations when the wind is coming out of the Northeast (vs. out of due East), nor what effect (if any) the wind might have on my elevation clicks.

Fun though!

After you calculate the distance (for example 700 yds) using your mil formula, look up the wind mil on the chart for 1 mph at 700 yds. It is .1 mil. Then, check the wind velocity (for example 5 mph). Multiply .1 mil times 5 mph and you get .5 mil correction. If the wind is coming from the east (90 degrees from a right angle or at 3:00 on the clockface) it is called a full value wind. You would dial the bullet impact .5 mil to the right. However , if the wind is coming from the North East (ie 45 degrees from a right angle or at 1:30 on the clock face) it is called a three/quarter value wind. You then multiply the .5 mil times 3/4 for a correction of .375 mil. So, you would round .375 to .4 (since mil adjustments are typically in .1 mil increments) and dial the bullet impact .4 mil to the right. If the wind was coming from the North North/East (ie 60 degrees from a right angle or 1:00 on the clock face) it is called a one/half value wind. In our example you would multiply the .5 mil times 1/2 for a correction of .25 mil. I would round .25 to .3 and dial the bullet impact .3 mil to the right. Hope this makes sense.

Phil G

Fun though!

After you calculate the distance (for example 700 yds) using your mil formula, look up the wind mil on the chart for 1 mph at 700 yds. It is .1 mil. Then, check the wind velocity (for example 5 mph). Multiply .1 mil times 5 mph and you get .5 mil correction. If the wind is coming from the east (90 degrees from a right angle or at 3:00 on the clockface) it is called a full value wind. You would dial the bullet impact .5 mil to the right. However , if the wind is coming from the North East (ie 45 degrees from a right angle or at 1:30 on the clock face) it is called a three/quarter value wind. You then multiply the .5 mil times 3/4 for a correction of .375 mil. So, you would round .375 to .4 (since mil adjustments are typically in .1 mil increments) and dial the bullet impact .4 mil to the right. If the wind was coming from the North North/East (ie 60 degrees from a right angle or 1:00 on the clock face) it is called a one/half value wind. In our example you would multiply the .5 mil times 1/2 for a correction of .25 mil. I would round .25 to .3 and dial the bullet impact .3 mil to the right. Hope this makes sense.

Phil G

and people ask me why i dont do any long range shooting yet...way to match intensive and confusing, haha. good explanations tho. going back to try this demo out again

got a couple 98s and 99s, havent gotten the 100 yet. im cheating now and writing down yardage and windage holds and am gonna try for a 100 with "headshots", lol.

i seem to get thrown off on windage on the ones in between 2 given distances and where the mnil holds change from .1 to .2. ive been trying calculate with a mil hold .15 and it seems to be pretty close.

Edited by Corey

got a couple 98s and 99s, havent gotten the 100 yet. im cheating now and writing down yardage and windage holds and am gonna try for a 100 with "headshots", lol.

i seem to get thrown off on windage on the ones in between 2 given distances and where the mnil holds change from .1 to .2. ive been trying calculate with a mil hold .15 and it seems to be pretty close.

Using .15 when you are "in between distances" is what I do and it works well.

Phil G

Fun though!

Phil G

That's what my calculation gives but it's never enough. I'll calculate 0.5 or 0.6 mils and end up needing 1.1, for example.

MoNsTeR-

Are you sure you are not dialing in too much windage. When I play the demo simulation my misses are usually because the formula I posted earlier calculates too much windage correction. If you notice the air temperature on the demo is 106 degrees. Most charts are for 70 degrees. Air density decreases as air temperature increases. Less air density means higher velocity and therefore less windage necessary. So, if I reduce the windage necessary by 5% or so for the higher than normal air temperature, my windage adjustment is much more accurate. Try it and see if it works for you.

Phil G

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That was fun.

It really meshed well with what I saw on the range today.

I didn't read the post of the wind values, so I gave up trying to dial it in. I would adjust elevation with the turret, and then hold right to put the bullet on the target where I thought it should go. I used the "force" and actually ended up scoring better using that method.

The first few stages were wasted trying to figure out how many mils the target measured once I got the actual yardage. As with all math, I seem to do better working it backwards...I'm weird.