Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AA#2 9mm rounds not firing

GregInAtl

I have some 9mm rounds that I loaded with 4.1 grains of AA#2. Out of about 100 rounds maybe 10 or 12 didn't fire at all out of my Springfield Loaded 9mm 1911. No squib or anything, just a spent primer on a fully loaded bullet. It occurred to me that maybe I got some bad primers but I switched guns (Kahr PM 9) and didn't have a one fail to fire issue out of the same batch of ammo. I'm pretty sure all of my rounds have enough powder in them (4.1 gr AA#2) as I watched them pretty close (on my 550b) as I was loading them. It seems like 4.1gr should be enough, could there possibly be something wrong with the gun or do I just need more powder. Seems like if 4.1 is enough for a PM9 it should be enough for my 1911. Next step will be try 4.3 gr and see if I still have the problem.

4.0 gr.  of AA#2 is my standard load for a 124 gr. coated bullet in 9mm so I don't think you are out of line with the powder charge.  Sounds like something else is going on.  Did you try and fire the same rounds again in the 1911? Even if it looks like you got a good hit always try them again to see if they fire the 2nd time.  If they do then it is a primer seating issue.

50 minutes ago, OPENB said:

It's not a powder issue. Could be: too light of a mainspring, high primers, too hard primers (rifle instead of pistol), short firing pin, etc.

I don't think it's high primers, or hard primers, I don't have any issues shooting rounds from the same batch out of a different gun. 

31 minutes ago, Balakay said:

Agree that it is not a powder issue.

Are you sure that the primers are spent or just dented??

They have the little indentation like the have after they are spent but I haven't tried shooting them again. I'll try shooting them in one of my other guns and see if they fire.

1 hour ago, acoop101 said:

Did you inspect each round before you loaded them in the mag? I have heard of issues with Dillon dies sucking the spent primer back into a case.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

For several magazine loads, I checked the rounds before putting them in the mag and all appear OK, only to have several rounds not fire and returned with dented primers

3 hours ago, OPENB said:

It's not a powder issue. Could be: too light of a mainspring, high primers, too hard primers (rifle instead of pistol), short firing pin, etc.

I use Russian primers in my 2011 TruBor, but they will not fire more than 50% in my BHP.

OPENB hit it on the head   :) 

5 hours ago, OPENB said:

Yup, I too vote for one of the above being the culprit.

I would lean towards it being a firing pin/spring problem. You've already somewhat eliminated a problem with the ammo, since it functioned properly in another firearm, that leaves you with a Springfield 1911 problem. What brand of primers are you using? I bet they aren't Federal...

Edited by 4n2t0

24 minutes ago, 4n2t0 said:

Yup, I too vote for one of the above being the culprit.

I would lean towards it being a firing pin/spring problem. You've already somewhat eliminated a problem with the ammo, since it functioned properly in another firearm, that leaves you with a Springfield 1911 problem. What brand of primers are you using? I bet they aren't Federal...

They are CCI primer. The thought just occurred to me that I just recently cleaned that gun. I've never had trouble with CCI primers before. I wonder if something happened when I cleaned it (grease, oil, etc.)

Our SA 9mm 1911s have fired >100K rounds with CCI primers (19 lb. mainspring, 1X  Firing Pin Spring, steel firing pin).  You might have some crud in your firing pin channel or a broken FPS).  Assuming the primers are well seated. (BTW, had to change to Winchester small primers since my HK P2000 EDC didn't care for CCI primers)

GregInAtl

A primer imparts enough force to knock the bullet out of the case.  If you're not clearing these rounds and having the bullet and case apart and powder falling out, then the primers are NOT going off.   You've got about three options:

• Bad primers
  • High primers
  • Weak mainspring

That's it.  It's one of those three things.  ;) 

11 hours ago, IDescribe said:

GregInAtl

A primer imparts enough force to knock the bullet out of the case.  If you're not clearing these rounds and having the bullet and case apart and powder falling out, then the primers are NOT going off.   You've got about three options:

• Bad primers
  • High primers
  • Weak mainspring

That's it.  It's one of those three things.  ;) 

I am going to try shooting those rounds in another gun. If they don't go off, I will assume it's the primers. If they do go off in another gun, then I will assume it's the mainspring in my original gun.