Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Between Walls

At the last local match, there was a stage that had four different shooting positions. One of the positions was leaning around a wall to the right to shoot four targets. Shooters found that about five yards closer next to one of the other shooting positions, there was a gap between two walls that allowed a clear view of the four targets. The walls were not secured to each other and were not touching. Is shooting between the walls legal?

• 2 months later...

I was ROing at a major once and this happened in the RO match the day before.  We tied the wall together and the shooter got a reshoot, basically for range equipment malfunction.  Of course, many times the Ro match is to find holes in stages and repair them before the shooters show up.   If I was at  a match, I would shoot it as I saw it.

The key part of your comment is, "The walls were not secured to each other and were not touching."  This constitutes a port/opening in my book.

At our club, we use ball bungee cords to fasten our PVC framed walls together. Even if a small gap appears at the joint, it is understood that fastened walls are considered continuous.

• 1 month later...
On 1/19/2018 at 11:35 AM, BlueBulletBeaker said:

The key part of your comment is, "The walls were not secured to each other and were not touching."  This constitutes a port/opening in my book.

At our club, we use ball bungee cords to fasten our PVC framed walls together. Even if a small gap appears at the joint, it is understood that fastened walls are considered continuous.

If you can shoot through gaps in the walls,  it is legal.

10 hours ago, bret said:

If you can shoot through gaps in the walls,  it is legal.

No argument there. I agree that if you can see it, you can shoot it. If I see a viable target presentation, I'm going for it. But out of respect for our volunteers, most shooters will not risk destroying prop walls at our club matches. It's one of those range etiquette/curtesy things. 

• 2 months later...

The stage in question is a good lesson to the stage designer to look at their stage from a objective perspective to identify all the possible ways of shooting the stage verses how they intend the stage to be shot. The vast majority of stage flaws like this are due to the designer only looking at their stage from a perspective of how it "Should Be" shot in their mind. They forget that this is a "Game" and shooters will find and exploit flaws in the stage design that will improve their performance.

An experienced MD or RM should be able to objectively assess each stage and resolve potential issues like this before the match even starts. As sportsmen we should point out these potential "Holes" in stage design before the match starts so the match staff has an opportunity to fix the issue. If the match staff has been warned and they do nothing about it, then its on like Donkey Kong!!!