Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small pistol vs small pistol magnum.

HerdThinner

What is the major difference between small pistol and small pistol magnum.  I can't seem to find federal small pistol anywhere but I see small pistol magnum and makes me wonder so I thought I would ask.  Thanks.  I'm reloading for 9 and 40 

Double base ball powders have more deterrent coatings to slow the burn rate and lower peak flame temperature.

It is recommended to use magnum primers with double base ball powders.

"BUT" with lite loads of 231 in 9mm and .40 S&W I have been using standard primers and not seen any ill effects.

Has anyone seen any benefit or more uniformity with magnum primers with lite loads?

I ask because I use standard primers that were used below. (CCI 500 small pistol primers)

"Make Right With a “.40 Lite”

http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammo/ammunition_40lite_091806/

Small Pistol 500

For most handgun cartridges requiring a small pistol primer.

550 Mag†

For heavy loads using ball propellants. († — Safety Note: use Magnum primers only when specified in published load data.)

Edited by bigedp51

I can't help with Federal primers, but the difference between CCI 500 and 550 is significant.  If you are near max pressure, don't substitute.  I felt a difference when shooting and had a wt??? moment.  I chrono'd them and they were about 28fps hotter with Clay Dot.  It turned out that CCI had put one sleeve of 550s in the case of 500s.  Fortunately, my 45ACP load was well under max.  9mm is a lot touchier, so be careful.

Edited by zzt

Somehow I ended up with a case of CCI small pistol magnum primers. I think the last time I bought primers the vendor mixed them up and I didn't notice until I grabbed a new box. I'm not seeing any noticeable difference over the chrono with 180gr Acme .40SW and 4.8gr of W231.

Doing some searching here because I was going to ask about small pistol vs small rifle and there are some that say small rifle are similar to magnum.  Does anyone else have good information regarding this?