Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the best reloading press for 9mm major

cjd1215

I just just started using a Dillon 650. I started off reloading my first reloading session with some 9mm minor loads. There seems to be a powder jumping form the case with just 5.8 gr of silhouette powder. Seems like when I will try to load 9mm major the there is no way the powder is going to stay in the case.   Just wondering what presses folks are using to load 9mm major loads. I am not new to reloading as I have been using a Lee turret press before I got the Dillon 650. Is everyone using a progressive press for 9mm major or is it better to stay with a turret press. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

14 minutes ago, cjd1215 said:

I just just started using a Dillon 650. I started off reloading my first reloading session with some 9mm minor loads. There seems to be a powder jumping form the case with just 5.8 gr of silhouette powder. Seems like when I will try to load 9mm major the there is no way the powder is going to stay in the case.   Just wondering what presses folks are using to load 9mm major loads. I am not new to reloading as I have been using a Lee turret press before I got the Dillon 650. Is everyone using a progressive press for 9mm major or is it better to stay with a turret press. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Sarge,

wher did you get the beating kit from?

Are you sure all your adjustments are good - and the press is mounted solidly enough?

I think there must be something wrong if something moves enough to spill powder. The most movement I get is if a case sticks at resizing or flaring. Priming assembly slightly out of alignment can also cause small jolts.

>There seems to be a powder jumping form the case with just 5.8 gr of silhouette powder. Seems like when I will try to load 9mm major the there is no way the powder is going to stay in the case.   Just wondering what presses folks are using to load 9mm major loads.

1) As the case leaves the powder die, put your FINGER over the case mouth. This has worked for countless numbers of folks for decades.

2) No press is the end-all. One could argue that the press you should use is a Forster Co-Ax. One could argue that the press you should use is a 1050. One will argue that whatever press they use is the best press or they wouldn't have bought it. One could argue that your issue is best addressed with a powder measure with long drop tube and is not a press issue at all.

Adjustment of the shellplate is critical and can really help with the snapping into place. When I am placing a bullet on the case mouth as it goes into position I get no snapping and spilling, so I would imagine a bullet feeder that places the bullet one station earlier would almost eliminate it.

I don't shoot 9 major but that is what helped me with 9 and especially the 380s I've loaded.