Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lowe's Kobalt reloading bench

I had planned to build a new bench after our recent move, but decided that I'd like drawers, a light, etc and started looking at tool chest. Weight was a consideration as I planned to have it upstairs in our new house and probably somewhere different in the next place.
I saw a nice Milwaukee mobile work table at Home Depot but at 380 lbs and ~$500 I decided to keep looking.
This led me to Lowe's where I purchased this bench for about $200 / ~100 lbs: https://m.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-45-in-W-x-36-in-H-3-Drawer-Wood-Work-Bench/50109236

139b788e06b6d26e8d7cc864df430714.jpgc6161b4bd6e96657162b28ffda21abf3.jpg

Assembly is simple but time consuming. All pieces are stamped metal with oversized holes that are (roughly) tapped for Phillips head bolts. The end product is study but not over built.

Though advertised as a wood top, it's closer in look and feel to cardboard. Kind of like Velveeta "cheese food" vs cheddar.

f60e6693e7b4fd22e93c8b296c2bebe0.jpg

Despite this all parts bolted together to form a study support for my Dillon 550. The worktop is not connected to the bench so I drilled some bolts to keep it in place. This removed any flexing or movement when working the press. The bench is not attached to the floor or wall.

c076ecc1f9381e0ebd8401e5fe328c71.jpg

Storage is what you would expect from the pictures. The drawers, lower shelf, and upper bin give me the organization I was looking for.

656492caf5d018718f16d0cf107cbb27.jpgc7fc516c454e8f240f979dd08ac4e6dd.jpg

The light is a bit of a disappointment as it does not illuminate the cartridges very well due to how far forward the press sits.

Even with the gap between the top drawer and the work top, there is not enough room to mount my RCBS single stage without interfering with the drawer. A strong mount type riser is needed. Again this was a little disappointing because I didn't plan on this and it takes up more space.

Although I have some criticism written above, overall this bench fit my needs and I'm happy with the purchase. Especially for the price, it works very well.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting.  I like it.  Pretty compact, but still has enough space to get everything mounted and done.  I like the bottom drawers for your primers and cases and such and the top shelf for your 1# bottles of powder.  I thought that was pretty cool.  I agree that it appears the light is too low and too far back to really do anything for the press itself, but just as an overall workspace light.  But still, it looks pretty cool.

Any chance you know off hand what the dimensions of the top (the wood area) is?  It looks like a decent space.  I ended up buying the Frankford Arsenal mobile bench and it does work fine, but you definitely don't get very much space with it.  Then again, I realllllly don't have much space to work in.  That's why I wanted something that I could almost fold up and put away and that's what the FA mobile bench does.  However, if I finally get some real space that I can put an actual bench in, I might end up looking into this. :) 

Thanks!

They also make a stainless model with a better wood top than the power coated version. Last year decided to upgrade my press and add and auto drive  the bench depth wasn't large enough for my new additions so it's not my general gun bench. 

The SS version around Christmas was around $150 which was  deal i couldn't pass up. Either way it's a great bench for the money and should server you well for years to come. 

• 3 weeks later...
On July 24, 2017 at 2:13 PM, R1_Demon said:

Interesting.  I like it.  Pretty compact, but still has enough space to get everything mounted and done.  I like the bottom drawers for your primers and cases and such and the top shelf for your 1# bottles of powder.  I thought that was pretty cool.  I agree that it appears the light is too low and too far back to really do anything for the press itself, but just as an overall workspace light.  But still, it looks pretty cool.

Any chance you know off hand what the dimensions of the top (the wood area) is?  It looks like a decent space.  I ended up buying the Frankford Arsenal mobile bench and it does work fine, but you definitely don't get very much space with it.  Then again, I realllllly don't have much space to work in.  That's why I wanted something that I could almost fold up and put away and that's what the FA mobile bench does.  However, if I finally get some real space that I can put an actual bench in, I might end up looking into this. :) 

Thanks!

Roughly 22x45.  The wood tabletop is held in by 4 screws and will flex.  Put more screws in it and get a rising platform for your press to clear the front of the bench.

On 8/15/2017 at 3:45 PM, Stickman301 said:

Roughly 22x45.  The wood tabletop is held in by 4 screws and will flex.  Put more screws in it and get a rising platform for your press to clear the front of the bench.

Cool...thank you. :) 

2 hours ago, R1_Demon said:

Cool...thank you. :) 

No problem.  Its actually a very nice bench.  If you get one, when you get it assembled if there is a wobble to it at all, loosen the screws on the legs and have someone put pressure on the tabletop then retighten.  

18 minutes ago, Stickman301 said:

No problem.  Its actually a very nice bench.  If you get one, when you get it assembled if there is a wobble to it at all, loosen the screws on the legs and have someone put pressure on the tabletop then retighten.  

Is there any way or any reason you could put some more support underneath the table top to help it?  Or just do as you suggested and be done with it?  Like maybe a piece of angle iron mounted underneath or something to make it a bit more sturdy across or something?  I'm just thinking out loud at the moment to see if there is any way to tighten it up a bit or something.  Right now I have the smaller Frankford Arsenal table and I have my Hornady LnL mounted off the edge.  I haven't tried one of the strong supports (I think that is what they are called?) that raises it up on top of the table.  I know I have seen them for the Dillon's and I know that they make them for the Hornady as well, but I saw no need for one with my current setup, so I just mounted it to the edge of the table and was done with it.  However, with something like this, I wasn't sure if I could mount it to the edge, with it moving such as you said or would I need to buy the raised mount and mount it on top of the table or not.

reloading_table_with_press_sm.jpg

1 minute ago, R1_Demon said:

Is there any way or any reason you could put some more support underneath the table top to help it?  Or just do as you suggested and be done with it?  Like maybe a piece of angle iron mounted underneath or something to make it a bit more sturdy across or something?  I'm just thinking out loud at the moment to see if there is any way to tighten it up a bit or something.  Right now I have the smaller Frankford Arsenal table and I have my Hornady LnL mounted off the edge.  I haven't tried one of the strong supports (I think that is what they are called?) that raises it up on top of the table.  I know I have seen them for the Dillon's and I know that they make them for the Hornady as well, but I saw no need for one with my current setup, so I just mounted it to the edge of the table and was done with it.  However, with something like this, I wasn't sure if I could mount it to the edge, with it moving such as you said or would I need to buy the raised mount and mount it on top of the table or not.

reloading_table_with_press_sm.jpg

The bench itself is sturdy.  The tabletop is the issue.  It flexes because its not super thick/heavy and only held to the bench with 4 screws.  The other issue is the loader needs to either be elevated or moved out from the edge of the bench.  Otherwise the bottom of the handle (pivot point) will hit the front of the bench because there is no space for it to go.  I did a quick fix because I am moving soon.  I just bolted a piece of wood to the tabletop and made an overhang.  I then stacked boxes of bullets on that side of the tabletop to help with the flex.  After I move I will screw the tabletop down more and possibly put another tabletop on top of it.  The entire bench is made of thin metal so a brace would help.  See below for pics.

FullSizeRender-11.jpg

FullSizeRender-12.jpg

IMG_1213.JPG

Ok, got it.  I see what you did.  That's smart. :)  Ya, I think a couple of more screws to mount it down or a second 1/2" or 3/4" top on top of it would help, especially if you could bolt it down through a piece of angle iron underneath, as long as you can bolt that angle iron to the sides of the bench itself to secure it and make it so that it would be sturdy and make the bench take the weight, ya know?  But I see what you are talking about.  

Depending on how things are mounted, you might even be able to run a piece of angle iron along that front and then mount some flush mounted screws down from the top and then through the front into the angle iron.  That would secure the top to the front of the bench and that would definitely make it sturdy.  Especially if you could do the same with the back, then it would be mounted in the front and rear and it wouldn't be going anywhere.  But I see what you mean about the reloader hitting the front of the bench though.  Would definitely have to put it out like you did or just use a raised mount for the reloader.

26 minutes ago, R1_Demon said:

Ok, got it.  I see what you did.  That's smart. :)  Ya, I think a couple of more screws to mount it down or a second 1/2" or 3/4" top on top of it would help, especially if you could bolt it down through a piece of angle iron underneath, as long as you can bolt that angle iron to the sides of the bench itself to secure it and make it so that it would be sturdy and make the bench take the weight, ya know?  But I see what you are talking about.  

Depending on how things are mounted, you might even be able to run a piece of angle iron along that front and then mount some flush mounted screws down from the top and then through the front into the angle iron.  That would secure the top to the front of the bench and that would definitely make it sturdy.  Especially if you could do the same with the back, then it would be mounted in the front and rear and it wouldn't be going anywhere.  But I see what you mean about the reloader hitting the front of the bench though.  Would definitely have to put it out like you did or just use a raised mount for the reloader.

From the tabletop down about 4" is clear space except for a piece of metal that runs front to back in the middle.  Other than that there is a ton of space to put some braces.  The tabletop flexes (raises up) in the middle (sides).  I would put another screw or bolt through there and that would help a ton.  Another tabletop on the original one or completely replace it with heavier wood and it would be awesome.  I plan on doing all of this after I move.  Also, plan on spending an extra $100 for the stainless.  Lowes was completely out of the black.  Unless you can find it online or they have it miracously at the store. 

You will find the solider you can make the bench, the better your reloading process will be.  That means bolting it down and to the wall (studs if possible) and having a sturdy mounting top.  Although a less sturdy bench can effect bullet seating (from the bullets moving around and not entering the case square) and primer seating, the biggest area effected is powder measuring.  If your loads aren't critical, then maybe fluctuation isn't important, but if consistency is needed, bolt that sucker down!