Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A Most Unusual Stage

2 hours ago, bret said:

Looks like several places for shoot throughs, that is the main problem with the stage.

even in a real uspsa match shoot-throughs are not illegal, but they can make it more difficult to score accurately. 

Doesn't look like fun. I tend to go very light on the no shoots as that seems like wasted money to me as a match director.

I only use them where they make sense to me or add to the shooting challenge.

Looks like one of those stages someone had in their head for a long time, without really any particular understanding of how pointless it is as a design.

Sometimes, people new to building stages just have to get something like that out of their system.  Once they figure out that it doesn't really "do anything" different than a much simpler stage, the fact that they think it "looks cool" loses its appeal.  

Edited by ATLDave

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2017 at 9:05 PM, aandabooks said:

That looks like no fun and lazy for stage design.  I'd be pissed if I drove to match, packed all my gear and shot 4 rounds all night. Might just start shooting no-shoots to liven things up.

I know what you mean. Many, many, many, years ago I drove from Springfield, to Tulsa, for a match at the old Oil Capitol range. A two hour trip. I didn't know the course of fire before hand so I was in for a big surprise when I got there.

It went as follows: From 1 and 1/2 yards draw and fire 2 shots to the center of the target and one shot to the head in 1 and 1/2 seconds. Repeat 6 times for a total of 18 rounds.

That was it.

If that was the first match and consisted of 25% of the stages I'd be very hesitant to return.  I don't mind short quick stages but I'd like to have options on what to do in the stage.  One of the reasons I left shooting idpa for uspsa and 3 gun.  I like solving the problem myself, instead of the only solution being fed to me. 

1 hour ago, Balwolley said:

If that was the first match and consisted of 25% of the stages I'd be very hesitant to return.  

The next match (July) had much better stages but still not USPSA legal.

I've seen the WSBs for this month's match (August 27th) and if set up properly, all are USPSA legal.  Each has "options" on how to shoot them.  I'm looking forward to a good match.

• 1 month later...

I don't mind some odd stuff, but the massive amounts of unnecessary no-shoots was a bad choice.

I'd do one (or both) of two things:

1: Help set stages PER THE RULES.

2: Offer constructive criticism on stage design.