Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Introducing PractiScore

Brian N.

PractiScore is now live in the App Store. It works on iPhones, iPod Touch, and iPads.

It is free courtesy our sponsors - MGM Targets, STI Incorporated, and the developer NiftyBytes.

To download it just hit PractiScore.com or search for PractiScore in the App Store.

The Android version is nearly complete and will work essentially identically. We are confirming it in our club match this weekend and then should release it the week following unless there are issues.

Info on PractiScore (taken from the App info on the App Store):

PractiScore is a complete scoring system for United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Pistol matches. PractiScore has been used for club matches in beta test for a year, with club matches up to 6 squads and 80 shooters. It also was used at the USPSA Utah State Championship with 160 shooters, and the Sin City Halloween HoseFest with 125 shooters. PractiScore has also been approved for use as the scoring system for the USPSA Area 1 2012 Pistol Championship.

Features include:

- FREE (thanks to our sponsors MGM Targets and STI, International)

- multiple squad support (any number of squads / shooters)

- easy one finger scoring

- simple and quick to use

- instant hit factor calculation

- instant stage and match results

- easy competitor registration on the iPhone/iPad with memory of shooters for less typing

- complete match specification on the iPhone/iPad

- a PC is not needed to score match

- WiFi sharing of scores and match definitions between devices

- instant e-mail of match results from the device

- instant posting of match results to PractiScore.com

- sharing of registration and match scores with ezWinScore

- a backup system for creating save points along the way

- an export function allowing export and import of match files

- easy score summary view for paper backup (required at Level III matches)

For info, documentation and support visit PractiScore.com

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Awesome, I've been waiting for it's release for several months, can't wait to try it out.

Did notice a couple things, where is the Club support and when I create a match if I try to change the month the app crashes.

Edited by jdphotoguy

Yeah, THIS may be what we've all been waiting for as an alternative to 3rd hand garage sale/ebay palms.

They have a pdf manual on their support page, available here http://goo.gl/hE7Dk They're in the process of updating it, so it's not completely current (there is no "club" tab, for instance, but you can import your ezws masternames.db file.

Very cool.

A couple of questions about device selection. Based on the fact that the iOS version is out first I assume this is what is was most tested with. Do you have a recommendation for a particular hardware, like say bulk purchased gen1 ipod touches?

Will the iOS and android devices be able to talk to each other so a mixed environment can exist?

Does pulling the data between devices act as backup mid match?

What kind of lifespan have you been getting from the batteries of the devices you have used, does it last a whole day?

Awesome, I've been waiting for it's release for several months, can't wait to try it out.

Did notice a couple things, where is the Club support and when I create a match if I try to change the month the app crashes.

Darn... we never changed the month I guess. It replicates for me. We will fix for the next update.

Ken N.

TY64062

Darn... we never changed the month I guess. It replicates for me. We will fix for the next update.

Ken N.

TY64062

Even though you are getting sponsor support to keep this a free app, I know personally I'd be more then willing to pay for it, sure beats doing all the scoring by hand.

Very cool.

A couple of questions about device selection. Based on the fact that the iOS version is out first I assume this is what is was most tested with. Do you have a recommendation for a particular hardware, like say bulk purchased gen1 ipod touches?

Will the iOS and android devices be able to talk to each other so a mixed environment can exist?

Does pulling the data between devices act as backup mid match?

What kind of lifespan have you been getting from the batteries of the devices you have used, does it last a whole day?

The iPhone is the most solid. I have 13 iPod Touches ranging from a Gen 1 to a few weeks old. All work fine. The Gen 1's are definitely slower.

iOS and Android devices can mix just fine. The sharing requires wifi to work, or in a month or so 3G to share via PractiScore.com. We initially tried bluetooth, and while it worked it wasn't reliable enough when other antennas were on (like wifi and cell phone). Plus Apple won't talk to Android via bluetooth. We wifi our range, or in cases where it isn't the stats guy just visits each bay with a portable wifi router in his pocket. PractiScore.com/support/ has an FAQ item on this.

Pulling data backs it up, each device has a copy of the entire match if they synch.

Lifespan on battery ranges largely on temperature (too hot or too cold shortens it) or how much synch activity is happening. In practice ours will last for a club match. For our larger matches we have $6 dollar batteries that plug in the bottom. I bought a bunch from Amazon.com and hand a couple out to each squad bucket.

Ken N.

The 7" Android WiFi only devices are probably going to be the easiest to use and probably the most cost effective - particularly prior generation devices that can be gotten at a discount.

As to battery life, they only need to be on while scoring is actually being done. So as long as they can be set to sleep after a minute of inactivity or something, they should be OK.

Avoid Androids that have tactile touch screens, i.e. you hear a click when you use them. A number of the cheaper Android tablets use them. They work, but they suck.

Initially we thought that tablets would be popular with our club, but most folks like using pocket sized devices. They slip them in their pocket when not scoring.

The Amazon Kindle Fire is a good compromise of size (bigger but still fits pocket), speed (modern CPU), good touch screen (capacitive touch like the iPad) and price. It also has a good battery life.

The PERFECT system is a Simple Nook rooted to Android. It works great in bright light. It has a 3 day batter life and it is $80 bucks. BUT... you have to root it to run Android, not a project for most.

I just kept an eye on Craigs list and bought a bunch of iPod Touch devices over the last year 14 or 15 of them. As cheap as $50 bucks in some cases.

I've also had good luck buying used Android phones cheap. They need not be on the cellular service, just have wifi to work great.

Ken N.

Anti-glare shields can help.

That is why I'm looking hard at the Simple Nook. It is a monochrome screen. It has slow refresh (no videos) but can be seen in direct light. Only trouble is... you have to a be a computer whiz to get Android on it.

Ken N.