Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does anyone out there have a stock 3 chambered in 45acp? Curious to know the weight of one and see if I can make it IDPA CDP legal (needs to be under 43oz) which I believe can be obtained. 

Would also like to make it SSP legal for the sake of being able to interchange parts parts off of it and remain legal. 

Well the whole idea is a bigger hole in the barrel and no spacers in the mags would shave a few ounces. Yeah I wonder what the weight difference is between a 9, .40 and .45 stock III. 

And there's always the PD guide rod that'll save you .7 oz

2 hours ago, bulm540 said:

Why not a lim pro in 45 acp?

Already have a lim pro 9mm, want a stock 3, and one that could be IDPA legal as well to swap parts and make them SSP legal parts(factory trigger has overtravel screw and the xtreme variants have delta hammers, yes I know there is debate about the delta hammers already being legal)

2 hours ago, DenverDave said:

I weighed my 9mm Stock III the other day....45 oz.  So I am 99.99% sure there is no way the 45 ACP will make weight.

As stated here:

26 minutes ago, V2plus25 said:

Well the whole idea is a bigger hole in the barrel and no spacers in the mags would shave a few ounces. Yeah I wonder what the weight difference is between a 9, .40 and .45 stock III. 

And there's always the PD guide rod that'll save you .7 oz

There is a lot of weight to be saved between the 9mm and 45. The barrel has much less material. The mags are missing the spacer inside them. PDs new guide rod is super legit and saves 3/4 ounce. That right there should be enough to get it under 43oz I am thinking. And if that's not enough I'm pretty sure my modifying the magwell it would be enough to get it there. I believe it's easily obtainable.

A lot of sites are listing the .45 Stock III as weighing 2.1 lbs which I assume is without the magazine.  But they are listing the OAL as 8.86".  I wonder if the gun can be tilted in the box enough to make it fit since the max width is 8.75"

If it truly weights 2.1 lbs without the magazine then it should fairly easily make it under 43 oz with a magazine I would think.  All you need is a spare $900 laying around to find out :)

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/741566601323

I am almost certain it will fit in the box. The stock 3 has the same slide as our lim pros and the frame has the same beavertail design and length in the rear. The only part that might be tight would be the extended dust cover. I remember when I was looking at the lim pro EAA had it listed at like 9 inches long on their website but it still fit no problem. 

Just want to be sure of weight before I drop any cash on a fairly undesirable gun to most people, being that it's 45acp, and then be stuck with it if it doesn't make weight. 

I did some geeky engineer type math. Assuming no chamber just rifled barrel  (worst case), a 45acp stock3 barrel will be AT LEAST 1.3 oz lighter than a 9mm barrel.

So....

45 barrel saves 1.3 oz

PD guide rod saves. 7oz

45 mag body without spacer saves .5

Opening magwell saves .2 oz

In total, a 45acp Stock 3 should save about 2.7 oz compared to a 9mm.

54 minutes ago, johnbu said:

I did some geeky engineer type math. Assuming no chamber just rifled barrel  (worst case), a 45acp stock3 barrel will be AT LEAST 1.3 oz lighter than a 9mm barrel.

So....

45 barrel saves 1.3 oz

PD guide rod saves. 7oz

45 mag body without spacer saves .5

Opening magwell saves .2 oz

In total, a 45acp Stock 3 should save about 2.7 oz compared to a 9mm.

Thanks for the info. If this is the case it should be in the 42-43 oz area with the lightweight guide rod and stock wood grips and basepads. 

Would still like actual measurement conformation before I buy in the near future. 

Does anybody have a 45 acp slide conversion kit that we could weigh to compare to a 9mm slide? This would give us some much needed information for actual weight

6 hours ago, wgj3 said:

Take a box and a scale to a shop that has one...?

Easier said than done since Tanfoglio is not exactly carried by most stores and is mostly only a special order firearm. Not sure of any local stores that carry Tanfoglio and more especially a stock 3 in 45.

10 hours ago, ClintMorris said:

Would still like actual measurement conformation before I buy in the near future. 

Awww, come on now.  I'm fully confident spending .... your money.  lol.

Post up when you find out.

I am pretty confident that a Stock 3 9mm can make IDPA weight (<43oz).  You have to use thin plastic grips (only 0.7 oz a pair), plastic guide rod, plastic factory magazine base pad and single sided thin safety (the one used on the new Stock 1).  

Someone posted a picture of 44.5 oz Stock 3, but that's with the SSI scale grips and double-sided fat safety.  How much does a pair of SSI scale grips weigh? 2 or 3 oz?  Swap that out with thin plastic grips you are at 43 oz.  Change the double-sided fat safety to a single-sided thin safety, you are below 43oz.

1 hour ago, JusticeOfToren said:

I am pretty confident that a Stock 3 9mm can make IDPA weight (<43oz).  You have to use thin plastic grips (only 0.7 oz a pair), plastic guide rod, plastic factory magazine base pad and single sided thin safety (the one used on the new Stock 1).  

Someone posted a picture of 44.5 oz Stock 3, but that's with the SSI scale grips and double-sided fat safety.  How much does a pair of SSI scale grips weigh? 2 or 3 oz?  Swap that out with thin plastic grips you are at 43 oz.  Change the double-sided fat safety to a single-sided thin safety, you are below 43oz.

The ambi safety is only .2 oz more and the Scales grips are 1.2 oz. the factory wood grips are .6-.7 oz. the stock base pads are .15oz and the hennings are .5 oz. 

i know Memphis has one that is listed at 46.1 with the scales and henning pads. Take off about 1.1 to account for that. Then .7 for a PD guide rod and another .2 for ambi safety and your down to around 44. I don't see 43 happening honestly in 9mm

Wood grips - 0.45 oz  (wood grips if thinned is no where close to 0.6 oz)

SSI scale grips - 1.2 oz (are you sure? I used to have them and they weighed 2 oz at least, but maybe the new 2.0 version is lighter?)

Saving on grips = 0.75 oz

Factory ambi-safety - 0.65 oz  (You say it is only 0.2 oz?)

Single sided thin safety - 0.3 oz

Saving on safety = 0.35 oz

Factory plastic base pad - 0.15 oz

Henning base pad - 0.65 oz

Saving on base pad = 0.5 oz

Total saving above = 1.6 oz

I still think we can make 9mm Stock 3 at 43 oz.  I just don't have the gun to actually do it.  I wish I do. 

wood-grips.jpg

factory-basepad.jpg

henning-basepad.jpg

sing-safety.jpg

double-safety.jpg

Yes scales are 1.25 measured on the scale, the factory wood grips are .75 with no modifications. 

I meant to say in the previous post that the hennings are .5 heavier, not just .5 weight, but my math added up anyways. 

If you take the right side off of the ambi safety it weighs .25 so that's where I said the .2, but since the single side is .3 total that is .35 savings. 

The factory guide rod is .9 and the PD guide rod is .25 

in total that's 2 ounces saved off of a 46 ounce gun which equals 44oz give or take a few tenths. I say it's more than 44 due his removal of excessive material at the mag well but who knows. 

If someone wants to mail me parts, I'll install them and weigh the gun and mail them back.

I'm happy to help someone out who wants to build a competitive IDPA / Production all around gun, before they take the plunge and purchase a Stock III themselves.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

23 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

If someone wants to mail me parts, I'll install them and weigh the gun and mail them back.

I'm happy to help someone out who wants to build a competitive IDPA / Production all around gun, before they take the plunge and purchase a Stock III themselves.

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind. 

I ended up doing the same calculations Johnbu did and ended up with the same approximate 1.3 oz savings with the 45 barrel alone and then the .5 savings with the mags. I think 45 is the way to go and it should make weight at approximately 42oz with all of the information we have gathered. 

If 45 CAP makes weight for IDPA, does that mean the parts on a 45 CAP Stock 3 can be used on 9mm Stock 3 (except barrel) as legal parts?  I think the answer is yes.  That indirectly makes the extreme parts SSP legal too.   This is kind like how the Shadow was legal in SSP before the 2017 rules.  

27 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I just need to figure out how to get my gun to 43oz if I want to play in IDPA. Give my magwell thirsting, my gun is an ESP blaster now, even if I could make SSP weight.

SSP and ESP has the same weight limit - 43 oz.  I do believe 45 CAP version can be under 43 oz with the mods above.  You can shoot in CDP division after buying a 45 caliber Stock 3 extreme.

I only load 9mm and I'm not changing that for IDPA. I have less than zero interest in shooting CDP. 

If the Stock 3 can't make 43oz in 9mm, I'd just go buy a $325 witness steel for IDPA use rather than shoot the gun I already have, or dumping $800+ into a Lim pro or Stock 1 or the like.