Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moving to 2011 from CZ TS...

tanks

I had acquired an STI Edge recently, but it was a bit big for my hands and I could barely reach the safety. The trigger was a bit awkward as well. Sent it off for a trigger job, pinning the grip safety while enhancing the beaver tail as well as putting on the SVI Skater Signature grip and SVI short flat trigger. It came back today. SVI has sent me grip tape for the grip and hopefully it will arrive in a day or two.

It feels like a dream. Perfect fit, 1.8 lbs trigger and a minuscule (2mm maybe) reset. Can't wait to start shooting it after developing some loads. Reloading is much easier and faster than the CZ as well. Here is what it looks like now.

STI%20Edge.jpg

Cos, I have both.  Both are equivalent guns, but the TS is less expensive.  The TS will run right out of the box, and the mags need no tuning.  A 2011, depending on what you buy, may need a few adjustments and the mags probably will need tuning.

With good loads, both guns put rounds in the same hole at 15 yards.  That's bullseye accurate, and more than you need for action matches and games.

The bore sits lower on the TS, so the muzzle rises a little less when fired.  I'm definitely faster on the second shot with the TS.

The ergonomics of the TS are a little better for me, because I have smallish hands.  I did a grip reduction on it and deepened the beaver tail and undercut the trigger guard.  The gun fits like a glove.  The STI 2011 grip is larger and feels so.  That being said, I've adjusted to the larger 2011 grip and now have no problem going back and forth.  I like both guns, shot them both, and would not give either up.

Aside from saying try them out for yourself, the only other advice I can give is this.  $1500 buys you a TS with four mags, extended base pads and a FO front sight.  That's ready to run for USPSA Limited.  A 2011 equipped the same will run you between $2300 and $2500.  If you like to tinker, or may change the gun into something else in the future, you have many, many more options with a 2011.

5 hours ago, zzt said:

Cos, I have both.  Both are equivalent guns, but the TS is less expensive.  The TS will run right out of the box, and the mags need no tuning.  A 2011, depending on what you buy, may need a few adjustments and the mags probably will need tuning.

With good loads, both guns put rounds in the same hole at 15 yards.  That's bullseye accurate, and more than you need for action matches and games.

The bore sits lower on the TS, so the muzzle rises a little less when fired.  I'm definitely faster on the second shot with the TS.

The ergonomics of the TS are a little better for me, because I have smallish hands.  I did a grip reduction on it and deepened the beaver tail and undercut the trigger guard.  The gun fits like a glove.  The STI 2011 grip is larger and feels so.  That being said, I've adjusted to the larger 2011 grip and now have no problem going back and forth.  I like both guns, shot them both, and would not give either up.

Aside from saying try them out for yourself, the only other advice I can give is this.  $1500 buys you a TS with four mags, extended base pads and a FO front sight.  That's ready to run for USPSA Limited.  A 2011 equipped the same will run you between $2300 and $2500.  If you like to tinker, or may change the gun into something else in the future, you have many, many more options with a 2011.

Thanks for the input and confirming that I'm most likely going to go the TSO route.  Where did you find your TS for $1500?  Seems like they are fairly hard to find in stock and especially at that price.  

Cos, a TS is $1100.  An extra mag with an extended base pad is close to $100.  Three extended base pads for the three mags that come with adds another almost $150.  A Dawson FO front sight (which these old eyes need) is another $50.  That's $1400.  When I bought my TS it cost $1200, so that's where I got $1500.

It is true that they sell out quickly.  They are in and out of stock, and you just have to keep watch.  CZC lists them at $1106, but they are currently out of stock.  I'd call Stuart there and ask him to notify you when they have them back in stock.

31 minutes ago, CosmosMpower said:

Thanks for the input and confirming that I'm most likely going to go the TSO route.  Where did you find your TS for $1500?  Seems like they are fairly hard to find in stock and especially at that price.  

The regular TS can be had for less, here's one for a grand

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/622995869

TSO: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/622989504

I'm in the same boat as Tanks and like zzt, I also have both.

Shot the TS for the last season and a half and just picked up a new 2011 based custom from Atlas Gunworks.

I moved away from the TS for safety reasons. I have large hands and a very high grip. The safety on the TS hit the fleshy part of my weak hand. So I would have to click off the safety, then flag my strong hand thumb out of the way to make room for my weak hand. I kept clicking off the safety early.

With the Atlas and the PT EVO grip (CZ shaped), I can still have my high grip with the strong hand thumb riding the safety.

YES, the new gun was quite a bit more than the TS :-) My TS came from the Custom Shop and had the works done to it, except the grip reduction.

I shoot both guns very flat, but the TS has a little of a tuning fork effect as the sight settles. The Atlas is pure sweetness and the sight is just there...every time. I'm really liking it.

0ECB0D63-7444-4F46-BCE0-24C94356280F.jpg

9962BC28-805C-4110-95DB-F0FA5163F1E4.jpg

Edited by gransport

On 2/18/2017 at 7:59 PM, CosmosMpower said:

Beautiful gun, how do you compare the two?  I'm currently debating between a 2011 and a CZ TS (maybe orange).  Is one more accurate than the other?  Which one is more fun to shoot?

I have about 500 rounds through the Edge now, will have another 3K rounds through at the end of this weekend while getting ready for Area 2. Accuracywise I'd say they are even. I have small hands, so I had to have grip reduction, new trigger for small hands, FO front, adjustable rear, extra wide safety and a better magwell for the CZ TS. Add it all together and you are looking at the price of a factory Edge and then some. Getting new base pads and springs with followers makes the cost almost the same as STI mags.

Now, I had work done on the Edge as well because it was a bit big for my hands. So, in addition to a trigger job (result was a better trigger than TS) I had the grip safety pinned and beavertail worked as well as putting on the SVI signature grip which made it fit like a glove.

As far as fit and function overall the edge goes to the Edge ;). I had a slight tuning fork action with the TS that would cause me to wait on the sights a tad. The Edge is a heavier gun and returns solidly without any movement at the end. Also, I have an SVI I had order last April, and the Edge will be the backup then with the same grip and trigger and most important, same ammo (CZ is much shorter OAL).

Maintenance wise CZ TS is much easier to field strip and clean. No pinning the recoil rod assembly to remove it or put it together. No linkage to worry about to put the slide stop through. The first time I field stripped and put the Edge together it took me about two hours. I had to use a crescent wrench to push the plug down on the recoil rod to put the paper clip tool in at the end (I ordered the $6 tool to help me with that). Several tries to put the slide stop through the linkage as well. However, now I have it down and it is mere minutes (still using the crescent wrench until the tool comes in).