Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9MM - Lee Classic Turret VS. Pro1000

Buckmark13

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to reloadin, have done a ton of research, and am ready to buy my first press. I plan to start with 9mm as that's what I shoot most often. I've decided on going with Lee for various reasons, but keep going back and forth between the Classic Turret and the Pro1000. Before making the purchase, I thought I'd get some additional thoughts and opinions, pros and cons, on one vs. the other. Thanks in advance and happy Labor Day!

Turret is great for around 150rnds/hr. (They say 200/hr, but, no) Simple, efficient, super easy to change calibers, etc. Only drawback is speed. But, you won't spend much time trying to figure out and fix problems that may arise from too much speed!

Pro 1000 is nice for those who shoot a lot and maybe not so much reload time. Some issues with primers, but, easily watched and fixed. Good (they say) for 600 rnds/hr. Maybe more like 500. I have 3 Pro 1000s and a turret. The 1000s I leave set up in various calibers. The Turret I use for small runs of 357, 44 mag, etc, and testing. My turret has loaded an honest 150,000 rounds and 1 pro 1000 has loaded an honest 150,000. I have used the Turret for 35 yrs. 

Either is a good choice but IMHO the Turret is the way to go for the 1st. 

Good luck and have fun!

I feel the LCT is without a doubt the best press for a new reloader as well as the experienced reloader who doesn't need the volume of ammo the Pro can put out.  With the turret you'll have one process going on at a time so you'll be less likely to make a mistake while also learning exactly what each process does.  You can let it self-index for pistol rounds and then remove the index bar and use it as a single stage for rifle rounds.

I started on a LCT. I would recommend it as a first press to anyone. They do what is advertised, simple to learn, simple to operate and inexpensive to buy. If you are anything like me, you will want to make more faster. When you do, the LCT will still have value on your bench, small runs or load development as an example.

I have no experience with the Pro1000, but I went with Dillon when I upgraded and there is a significant difference in quality between my Lee and my Dillon. The Lee isn't bad, it makes ammo consistently and of solid quality but the Dillon presses are the next level. Even with my Dillon set up and running, my LCT is there and is used.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

I should add the LCT is actually quite a nicely made press. the pro-1000 is not in the same league quality wise. it's a really bad attempt at a cheap progressive press. it will make ammo, but the issue will be all the stopages you get on it, plus the tiny work area, plus the restriction of only 3 stations (means you have to combine seat and crimp in one).

The lee LCT is a really good entry level press. the dillon stuff is miles ahead but it costs a lot more too. 

one reccomendation for the lee is buy the lee auto drum powder measure. it's a really good powder measure. 

I'm with everyone else.  Start on the LCT.  When and if you want to move onto a progressive press, get a Dillon.  My LCT is now parked right next to my XL650.  I still load .45 on it, as I don't shoot nearly as much of that caliber as 9mm.  I kept the LCT so that I wouldn't have to spend the money on all the parts necessary to load multiple calibers on the Dillon.  Does a great job.

• 4 months later...

The Classic Turret with the arrow shaped base is very simple to use.

* The primers drop down the ram like on a Redding to a tube or container.

* The lever arm can be adjusted to a shorter stroke for pistol calibers.

* The AutoDrum powder measure is wonderful in that you buy a $4 drum for each load and save it for next time.

* The Safety Prime system is safe and simple.  

* Turrets are less than $15

The Turret Play/ Tilt is by design to ensure the case aligns.  The Brass and die are both round so they work together to self align if one has some play.

• Forester Coax has movement in their shell holder and die so that they align.
  • The new MEC single stage has a floating shell holder to align things.  

The die & case are not intended to be secured down like a single stage or a progressive working on multiple cases.  This confuses many people.

I size and deprime my brass before I clean so I can examine the primer pocket before loading (see pic). So I have a turret set up just for his. I also have started hand priming while I am holding it in my hand to inspect.  This way I can inspect the primer is below flush and sitting correctly. I would pull the case on the press to insect anyway. 

I have a Hornady Bullet feeding die on mine in the open station.  I just drop in the top of the die. It holds (7)  9mm I think.

Inline fabrication makes a cartridge eject system that is interesting.  I have not bought one.

Lee claims 250 per hour which is doable for pistol I imagine.  With a bullet feeder and an cartridge ejector it is with in easy reach.
Lee also recommends a progressive if you load more than 500 per week.  Keep in mind that 500 per week is shooting 25,000 per year.
Spending an hour of 'alone time' loading 200 per week will yield 10,000 per year.

Screen Shot 2017-01-30 at 6.33.07 AM.png

Edited by Livin_cincy

If you size before cleaning you run a pretty high risk of ruining your sizing die over time by running all of the grit through it.

I clean brass before it ever comes into the house, then size and deprime, inspecting the primer pockets as well as the cases for splits right after this step.