Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

just ordered the 1050 any tips

If you thought reloading was easy with the 650, you'll be pleasantly surprised by the 1050. A bullet feeder and lots of primer tubes (or a primer filler) make it even better. I also bought a clear plastic primer cover (http://www.ebay.com/itm/sprskip-/191855446621?) just to make it a little easier to see any potential problems.

New owner here of the 1050 I had 2 problems or more like inconveniences. 1st some primers were not being pushed all the way in I adjusted the pushrod and that problem went away. 2nd the ratchet was being released too early and locking the machine as I was pushing the handle up. This was "fixed" at first by putting a zip tie on the locking mechanism. I permanently fixed it by adjusting the detent ball and no problems since. Happy so far and this thing is just a beast. Made 400rds of 223 without even trying. My wife was so impressed with this feat she asked me to start selling some ammo which i just laughed.

Download the manual and read it a few times while your waiting on it to get there. You will be ahead of 99% of the others when you open the box.

If you go buy a bunch of after market stuff, keep that in the box it came in for a few thousand rounds and use the machine as Dillon intended to start with.

Once you know how everything works and feels then you can start making changes, one at a time, so you can see/feel the effects of each change. If you don't like it remove it, if you do move on.

There have been more than a few "Dillon sucks" threads that before all was said and done, come to find out the OP put non Dillon parts on it that caused the problem(s).

Edited by jmorris

Just because dillon says its set up from factory, doesnt mean it is.

I would reset all the dies, swage and priming systems, and if I ever get a second, i'll probably throw the ratchet system away first thing.

Buy the DVD and don't do anything until you've watched it a couple of times.

Second time, try to ignore the talking, and watch exactly what the narrator does. He unknowingly does several things to make the job easier without, probably, even realizing he is doing it.

Read the manual, if you can follow it. Very thorough and very confusing. Feel like ripping it up and rearranging things to make sense.

Work on one thing at a time until you KNOW how that station works.

well it came in saturday at 4pm i was reloading buy 6:30pm

some minor adjustments with the seating OAL and the powder.

i was doing 9mm . this thing is fast swaging is awesome no issues with seating primers with crimps very happy.

put 650 up for sale on ebay and it was purchased in a few hours. i guess i underpriced it but im very happy.

in the future i will be getting a 1050 for 45acp but distant future.

this way i have a small and large primer setup,

the cost for changing calibers is very expensive but i guess you pay for the best

put 650 up for sale on ebay and it was purchased in a few hours. i guess i underpriced it but im very happy.

in the future i will be getting a 1050 for 45acp but distant future.

this way i have a small and large primer setup,

I would have kept the 650 until then, and set it up for 45ACP.

I bought a second toolhead.

i will leave the 9mm toolhead alone because it works great.

i will be loading 380 and45 on the second toolhead. i will only reload them 2-3 times a year.

i am waiting on the mister bullet feeder in 9mm

i load a ton of 9mm for my son and me. we use them for practice and uspsa matches. they go quick

Selling the 650 was a mistake - I keep two of them as backups, and auxilaries, for the infrequently used calibers. One is set for small primers, the other for large.

That presumes you have bench space available, of course.

the space was the issue. i also have a lee single stage i use for SW500 44mag and some rifle calibers. but i do not shoot these that often.

i have to many toys i mean tools on my 2 benches already

Not really that easy to do a double charge as the shellplate automatically advances on the upstroke of the handle...just don't stop less than all the way down.

Edited by RiggerJJ

Pretty easy, actually - just don't cycle it all the way, from the handle full down position lift it to the point where the powder measure resets. Then go down (handle) again.

Echo all the above:

Step 1: Remove the lucifer ratchet and never short stroke it. (that's what she said)

Step 2: MBF for sure. You'll double your productivity.

Step 3: Get an RF100

Step 4: Get another 1050 for large primer stuff if your wife or significant other hasn't killed you yet.

Step 5: Buy quick change toolheads for all your calibers and be on your way.

Step 6: Don't buy any upgrades as they're not needed for the new machines. (Maybe the longer toolhead spring and guide from Level 10 if you removed the ratchet)

Step 7: Move your reloading bench inside if it isn't already :-)

You're gonna love this machine. But then again you're already producing ammo with it, so you know the struggle is real and must replace all your machines with one.

I am not sure why people are having so much trouble with the ratchet. I admit, it bothered me for the first few days, after that I simply forgot about it, it became a comforting sound. :)

I am not sure why people are having so much trouble with the ratchet. I admit, it bothered me for the first few days, after that I simply forgot about it, it became a comforting sound. :)

I agree. My casefeeder and bullet feeder make just as much (if not more) noise as the ratchet. If I ever have a jam, I can flip the ratchet lever and raise the toolhead enough to clear the jam, then continue on. I could probably do without the ratchet, but I've never needed to.