Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone know of a Brass trimming service?

deerassassin22

Google "Brass Processing" and you'll find a number of folks offering that service. You could also PM retread1911 on this forum. I sent him some that should be coming back this week. Others said good things about his service, and the price/turnaround were reasonable.

I use the WFT, worlds finest trimmer, it is fast and easy! I can do over 500 rounds an hour, its chucked up in my very cheap Harbor Freight Drill Press. Check WFT out only about $65 if I remeber correctly.

I use to dread trimming more than a trip to the dentist, now it isn't a chore.

I use the Dillon Swagger, but the Lee PP reamer works well also in the drill press, but for deburr and chamfer (a necessary process after trimming I use the hand held Lymann double ended tool).

If you don't chamfer the inside of the neck it cuts the jacket on the bullets.

Get your self a Little Crow WFT i hooked mine up to a 3/4 HP electric motor and man is it sweet. It works well on a drill too.

May I ask what brand is the little 3/4hp motor you are running for the WFT? You have a link to it?

Thanks.

Get your self a Little Crow WFT i hooked mine up to a 3/4 HP electric motor and man is it sweet. It works well on a drill too.

May I ask what brand is the little 3/4hp motor you are running for the WFT? You have a link to it?

Thanks.

You don't need that kind of HP, this drill press runs it like a champ, http://www.harborfreight.com/5-speed-bench-drill-press-60238-9067.html 2/5hp. I run mine in the mid range of the speed, about 2 seconds a case to size them, one of those is the quarter turn to square it up.

I've been looking at the WFT myself...only hesitation is it looks like it could fling shavings everywhere. Can anyone comment on if this is a problem? Or does it keep the mess fairly well contained?

Sure would be a lot cheaper than a 1200B trimmer!

I've been looking at the WFT myself...only hesitation is it looks like it could fling shavings everywhere. Can anyone comment on if this is a problem? Or does it keep the mess fairly well contained?

Sure would be a lot cheaper than a 1200B trimmer!

Mine is in my metal building it gets some on the steel table top, that the drill press sits on, but it does do a excellent job. If you have a shop vac just clean up when you are done.

• 2 weeks later...

The WFT doesn't fling chips where it creates any problems. On the other hand it would be nice if it had a debris collector of some sort but it doesn't. Wear glasses (as always) and just a quick vac up is all you need. Also, some chips do collect in the tool so I give it a shot of air every 20 rounds or so just to keep them from building up.

I also chamfer/debur with an RCBS Prep Center at the same time as trimming. Not as fast as a Giraud trimmer but close.

• 2 years later...

So I have about 3 K of .223 that needs to be fully processed. Any updates on recommendations for a brass processor?

And while I'm at it, let me ask a couple of noob questions:

Chamfer and deburr the case mouth just on cases meant for accuracy stuff (honestly, I doubt I will ever shoot beyond 200 yards)?

The brass I got (mostly LC) is from a variety of sources. It's supposed to be once fired. Does the factory stuff come primed with brass

or silver primers?

TIA,

Kevin the rifle noob

I love my Giraud. Easily 1000 per hour, and changing calibers takes a couple minutes.

Giraud makes a trimmer that you put in a drill or small drill press. It's just under $100 and trims and chamfers in one shot. I have mine in a small Traver Tool drill press I got for under a $100. I use a Lyman crimp chamfer on the primer pockets in the same press. Besides it is always nice to have a small accurate drill press around.

But after spending the last few days sizing 2 5 gallon buckets of .223 brass a 1500 trimmer and the Swedge-it swedger looks real good on my 650.

Chamfer and deburr the case mouth just on cases meant for accuracy stuff (honestly, I doubt I will ever shoot beyond 200 yards)?

I chamfer and deburr only the cases that I trim but I'm also using boat tail bullets. If you use flat base bullets you might have to do all of them.

A Google search gets me three hits: MI Brass, Bullseye Brass Processing and Brassprocessing.net.

MI is the most expensive, but will chamfer the case mouth and deburr both the mouth and flash hole. Bullseye is the least expensive, but the chamferring and deburring are not available.

Anybody use any of these folks?