Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer tube filler for about $10

gmantwo

How to make a primer tube filler for $10 or so

Here’s the list of parts needed

1-Primer tube, large or small, whichever you need, or both

2-The Prime tray from Lee. Small primer part is PT1005A, large is PT1005B. They’re $3 each from Lee. You’ll also need the corresponding cover, part PT1004. It’s $2.50 and fits either size.

3-Small bottle of polyurethane glue

4-Drill bits that will barely slip into the appropriate prime tube, large or small.

5-A small square of clear, fairly stiff plastic.

Slip the drill bit into the hole in the prime tray that fits the tube you’re working on. Let it stick up an inch or so above the top. Slip the primer tube up onto the drill bit from the bottom, using the end away from the pin that holds the primers in. Slide it all the way up against the bottom of the tray. Put a small amount of poly glue on the tube near the bottom of the black plastic, stay away from the top where the tube and tray come together as poly glue expands a lot. Roll the tube to distribute the glue. Set this aside for a day to dry.

Using pliers, pull the drill bit free. Now put the cover on the tray and lay your square of plastic on top above the hole/tube area. Using a fine line sharpie, draw a cut line on the plastic . What you’re looking to do is cover the “chute”, or areas NOT covered by the tray cover, because the primers will jump out or turn over if this isn’t covered. It will look something like this:post-14188-126429571422_thumb.jpg when you get it cut out. Crease it along the sides of the “chute”, somewhere near where I drew the dotted lines. Use clear tape to tape it to the sides. Make sure to cover the whole area, making sure to go into the small area where the drop hole is in the tray, hence the little tab. The filler in these pics doesn’t work as well as my other one because I didn’t completely cover the “chute”, as you can see. Do what I say, not what I did, lol.

What I do is pour my primers into a plastic dish, then pour them into the primer tray(the federal box is too big to put them directly into the Lee tray). Shake the tray to turn the primers over, then put on the cover. If your vibratory case cleaner is handy and running, touch the tip of the primer tube to it and roll the tray back and forth slowly to feed the primers to the “chute”. I’ve found that if I hold the tube at about a 45 degree angle the primers feed much better, and never hang up or turn over.(see the pic) Since I’m loading inside I now use a small battery powered massager, holding it to the bottom of the primer tray. Fills a tube in 10-15 seconds. Not counting the day for the glue to dry, takes about 20 minutes to make.

post-14188-126429575768_thumb.jpgpost-14188-126429577608_thumb.jpgpost-14188-126429573656_thumb.jpgpost-14188-126429579738_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How to make a primer tube filler for $10 or so

Here’s the list of parts needed

1-Primer tube, large or small, whichever you need, or both

2-The Prime tray from Lee. Small primer part is PT1005A, large is PT1005B. They’re $3 each from Lee. You’ll also need the corresponding cover, part PT1004. It’s $2.50 and fits either size.

3-Small bottle of polyurethane glue

4-Drill bits that will barely slip into the appropriate prime tube, large or small.

5-A small square of clear, fairly stiff plastic.

Slip the drill bit into the hole in the prime tray that fits the tube you’re working on. Let it stick up an inch or so above the top. Slip the primer tube up onto the drill bit from the bottom, using the end away from the pin that holds the primers in. Slide it all the way up against the bottom of the tray. Put a small amount of poly glue on the tube near the bottom of the black plastic, stay away from the top where the tube and tray come together as poly glue expands a lot. Roll the tube to distribute the glue. Set this aside for a day to dry.

Using pliers, pull the drill bit free. Now put the cover on the tray and lay your square of plastic on top above the hole/tube area. Using a fine line sharpie, draw a cut line on the plastic . What you’re looking to do is cover the “chute”, or areas NOT covered by the tray cover, because the primers will jump out or turn over if this isn’t covered. It will look something like this:post-14188-126429571422_thumb.jpg when you get it cut out. Crease it along the sides of the “chute”, somewhere near where I drew the dotted lines. Use clear tape to tape it to the sides. Make sure to cover the whole area, making sure to go into the small area where the drop hole is in the tray, hence the little tab. The filler in these pics doesn’t work as well as my other one because I didn’t completely cover the “chute”, as you can see. Do what I say, not what I did, lol.

What I do is pour my primers into a plastic dish, then pour them into the primer tray(the federal box is too big to put them directly into the Lee tray). Shake the tray to turn the primers over, then put on the cover. If your vibratory case cleaner is handy and running, touch the tip of the primer tube to it and roll the tray back and forth slowly to feed the primers to the “chute”. I’ve found that if I hold the tube at about a 45 degree angle the primers feed much better, and never hang up or turn over.(see the pic) Since I’m loading inside I now use a small battery powered massager, holding it to the bottom of the primer tray. Fills a tube in 10-15 seconds. Not counting the day for the glue to dry, takes about 20 minutes to make.

post-14188-126429575768_thumb.jpgpost-14188-126429577608_thumb.jpgpost-14188-126429573656_thumb.jpgpost-14188-126429579738_thumb.jpg

Where did you get your "small square of fairly stiff plastic". I don't have things like that just laying around :D

• 3 weeks later...

Where did you get your "small square of fairly stiff plastic". I don't have things like that just laying around :D

The plastic I used was cut from some stiff product packaging. Being impatient and lazy I used duct tape to attach the tube. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

wow... I bought a Dillon Primer Loader and it works much the same way, though it has it's own vibrator and costs a whole bunch more. Good trick! Hopefully you or someone like you will start to mass produce something like this with some cast plastic parts that will be cost effective. Hope you make a million bucks! The primer loading operation is the one big time sink that holds up the reloading process.

Thanks for the idea. I bought the parts to make a large and small one. I think I am going to try and make one where the tube is removable so I can load a bunch of tubes at a time.

That would be the ticket! I need to order some stuff and see what I come up with.

Just ordered a couple of trays and covers from Lee. Total $15 shipped.

I think instead of making the tube removable I am going to experiment with various Dillon Primer tube tips so I can just drop from one tube to another. It looks like this will work.

Edited by Sarge

Being able to fill multiple tubes would be a good addition to this. I only load 200 rounds at a time, because that's what my catch tray will hold without spilling. Then I immediately chamber check them before putting them away, so I only need 200 at a time. Necessity is the mother of invention, so I never knew I needed this addition, lol.

Hopefully you or someone like you will start to mass produce something like this with some cast plastic parts that will be cost effective. Hope you make a million bucks! The primer loading operation is the one big time sink that holds up the reloading process.

Yeah! I know, we can call it the... Vibraprime!!! :roflol:

Hopefully you or someone like you will start to mass produce something like this with some cast plastic parts that will be cost effective. Hope you make a million bucks! The primer loading operation is the one big time sink that holds up the reloading process.

Does/did the Vibrprime only cost about $10?

Does/did the Vibrprime only cost about $10?

I checked the box mine came in and the invoice was in it :) Feb. 2007 $32.99, and worth every penny. :cheers:

Edited by DarkSmileyX

Small bottle of polyurethane glue

Somebody help me out here. What brand would I be looking for at Home Depot? Or is this something special. Sorry, I'm not up on my glues.:blush:

Got my parts in the mail today. Going to work on this tonight hopefully.

Nevermind. Looks like Gorilla Glue is the ticket.

Edited by Sarge

Hmmm...... Let's just say the jury is still out on this contraption.:sight: It is a pain to flip the primers in the tray if you ask me. You have to dump them in a little bowl, etc. About every other time I use it a primer will turn sideways and block everything up. Then the tape and plastic have to be lifted to get it out. I shaved off the nub on top so I plan to cut a piece of plexiglass and just hold it on top and try that.

I found that holding the "massager" on the back of the arm on the tray works best for me. I must admit, when it works it is amazing! I just wish it was more reliable. I am sure it has something to do with angles and such so it will probably work itself out. I guess time will tell.