Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

POI: How high is too high?

RAZZ

After all the great advice you all gave me about the trigger, I figured I'd throw this out as well. I installed a set of the Warren / Sevigny sights (FO) on my new G34, and it shoots about an inch and a half high at 10yds, and about three and a half to four inches high at 25. It groups just fine, but I'm a little concerened that 4" high at 25 (and presumably even higher at greater than 25) is going to cost me during a match. I guess my only option is a taller Dawson front sight.

What do you guys think...is 4" at 25 too high of a POI?

Edited by RAZZ

I too use the W/S sights on my Glocks and have not "noticed" a POI issue. I've been staring down that sight radius for so many years I guess it just doesn't register. Probably just adapted. It's all good if your shot breaks in the center of the A zone. ;)

Jim

Very true. That's the thing about fixed sights. The sight picture is adjustable, not the sights. A 6 o'clock hold should do you fine on those plates. Lot of us practical shooter types use the W/S combinations. Especially Glockers, they're as reliable as a hammer and almost as pretty but they're not for everybody.

Jim

Edited by Jman

My G35 hit right about like that when I put a KKM barrel in it. I went ahead and shot it to GM in Limited and Production.

I found that hitting a bit high works out rather well.

On a plate at 25y...you get to hold near the base of the plate, allowing you to actually see the plate and not have it mostly covered behind the front sight.

On a paper head-shot at that distance, you can hold on the shoulders (horizontal line)...which provides a much better aiming reference.

Most shooters would benefit from hitting high. Try it.

I installed the Warren Tacticals on my G35, and found it was hitting 3" high at 50 ft. I trialed Heinie's taller tritium sights, and eventually settled on the .235 front post. It hits about 2" low at 50 ft, but I'm not missing as many head shots now.

I believe the Warren sights are designed for a 6 o'clock hold. However, I personally like my front sight to bisect the target and I went with a .250" Heinie front sight. My POA = POI. Another thing to consider is if you are using a fiber optic f/s, are you using the fiber optic itself or the top of the sight as your reference. If you use the f/o, there is a tendency to shoot high as well.

I had the same problem on my 34 but not with the 35 or 22.

The WTS sights are packed with a 0.215 tall front sight. You can order a 0.245 front sight from Warren Tactical. Just e-mail the "Contact Us" on their website www.warrentactical.com.

Give Scott a minute to contact you back, as he is an active Federal Law Enforcement officer and doesn't check his e-mail every 15 minutes like some of us.

. . . or just take a flat file to the rear sight.

You know I thought of that, but I'm willing to spend $35 if it keeps a file out of my hands. I'd end up making one side higher than the other, then the other, and by the time all was said and done, I'd be replacing my rear sight too. I think its best to keep power tools and sharp objects out of my hands.

I installed the Warren Tacticals on my G35, and found it was hitting 3" high at 50 ft. I trialed Heinie's taller tritium sights, and eventually settled on the .235 front post. It hits about 2" low at 50 ft, but I'm not missing as many head shots now.

I run Heinie sights on my G35 for Limited (slant pro rear with tritium front). My POA=POI with these.

I run Ameriglo Operator tritium's (they have a white outline on the front sight only) on my G22. I love these sights because the white outline really draws your eye (in daylight). However they seem to shoot about 2" low when I line up the tops of the sights. If I line up the dots (which results in the top of the front sight being slightly higher than the rear) I'm hitting dead on.

Haven't tried the Warren Tacticals or Competition yet....but leaning towards them for my Limited G35.

z-

I had the same problem with my G34, I talked to Scott and got one of the taller front sights, which gave me perfect POI/POA at 50 feet from the bench. I'd be amazed if simply switching the front sight doesn't solve your problem. :)

Let us know what happens, please.

I run Ameriglo Operator tritium's (they have a white outline on the front sight only) on my G22. I love these sights because the white outline really draws your eye (in daylight). However they seem to shoot about 2" low when I line up the tops of the sights. If I line up the dots (which results in the top of the front sight being slightly higher than the rear) I'm hitting dead on.

I had the same problem with the Ameriglo's in the beginning, then I started buying the taller set for the .45/10mm to install on the 9mm/.40/.357 and solved this problem.