Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

i-Kam Xtreme Video Glasses

niedlaw

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apple has a pair that is coming out soon. They have two cameras one one each side to the left and right of each frame. What is cool about those is they are bluetooth conected to your iphone so you also get breaking news and updates about stores and resturants you are walking by.

But those glasses are also cool and cost under $200. The apple, prob a lot more.

Got some of those a couple of weeks ago. The video is very good quality. Been wearing them while shooting some matches and the vids look cool. Looks like a live first person shooter video game. Only problem I have is with the camera in the center, I don't get to view my dot on my c-more. They do pinch my head more than I would like them to but all in all I am very happy with them.

Edited by Hammar

• 3 weeks later...

My brother in Florida has the camera & he likes it a lot! Says the quality of the video is great, especially considering how small the entire thing is. He almost had me convinced to buy a pair but alas, too little $$, too many bills right now. He enjoys the way you just plug it into the computer when you are done. No special programs needed. Just dump it & you're done.

MLM

-Lightweight, stylish sunglasses with built in digital video camera. 4 gigs of built in memory (approximately 3 hrs video) and can be upgraded with optional micro SD cards.

-Easy 2 button operation. Connects to PC/Laptop with included USB cable, no additional software needed.

-Includes 4 total lens sets: Polarized Smoke, Brown, Amber, and clear.

Specs:

-Product Size: 170 x 160 x 40mm (folded)

-Physical Weight: 39g

-Speed Read: Read - 700kbs / Write - 500kbs

-USB: 2.0 (HS)

-Power Supply: Embedded 550mAh Li-polymer Battery

-Power Duration: 2.5-3 hours

-Power Adaptor: 5V DC / 500mAh

-Memory: Built in 4GB, Max 8GB, Support Max 8GB Micro SD card

-Resolution: 736 x 480 Video Playback

-Video Format: AVI

-Audio: Stereo

-Recording Speed: 30fps

-Working Temp: 23F - 104F

-Storage Temp: -4F - 176F

-Factory Warranty: 90 days

And from another site:

This is the i-KAM XTREME 3.0, excellent, lightweight eyewear with an advanced mobile video recorder. It features a pinhole CMOS video camera for clear video and audio digital recording and comes with three sets of interchangeable lenses. The i-KAM XTREME 3.0 is a must for those who want to capture special moments without the hassle of a video camera. (90 day warranty: See warranty card for more info.) SPECIFICATIONS: Product Size: 7" x 6" x 1.5" (folded) Physical Weight: 1.3oz (39g) Speed: Read / 700kbs & Write / 500kbs USB: 2.0 (HS) Power Supply: Embedded 550mAh Li-polymer Battery Power Duration: 2.5 - 3 hours Power Adaptor: 5V DC/ 500mAh Power Ratio: 0.8W Memory: Built in 4GB Max 8GB Micro SD Card Resolution: 736 x 480 Video Format: AVI Audio: Stereo Recording Speed: 30fps Working temp: 23F-104F Storage temp: -4F-176F Player: Windows Media Player, Quicktime, Real Player, Storm Codec Menu Language: English O/S: Win98, WinMe, WinXP, Win2000, Vista, Windows 7

Edited by vluc

Mine arrived today. I took some video walking the dogs in the pasture and it looks pretty good.

I don't understand some of the instructions. I'm supposed to right click and build a new text document under the root directory on disk F and make sure the text document is built under disk f not video folder. I can't find anything about root directory when I right click.

They are snug but I have a melon head.

Dave

Edit: I think I have a working link. For reference, when I first whistled at Dolly, she was ~40 yds out.

th_pasturevideo.jpg

Edited by Airedale

We have been using them in our last four local matches and at the last six or so practice sessions and they have been holding up pretty good. The video is good quality. The only thing I don't like about them is they kinda pinch my head (and I don't have a mellon head). I feel that they were worth the investment.

Hammar wrote:

....Only problem I have is with the camera in the center, I don't get to view my dot on my c-more. ...

You mean to tell me that with the camera lens less than an inch and a quarter away from your pupil it still won't record the C-more's dot???

I've got a C-more on my .22 conversion...I just haven't tried capturing any video with my Samsung hatcam, yet, to see if it will pick up the dot.

This gadget is totally cool. I am wondering if the makers are trying to market it to the LE world. This would be the next evolution of the dash-cam, especially with the date/time stamp with the seconds timer.

What would be the next evolution of that is if it picked up the BANGS! and computed a split time automatically and then displayed that on the screen.

If you can run this thing for 3 hours straight, that basically means you can turn it on to record at the start of a local match, forget about it, then at the end of the match you just turn it off. So when you get back home, I am ASSuming you have to download all 3 hours of video to your computer's hard drive, then you can go about editing it (hopefully, with something easy and free like Windows Movie Maker), where you can cut out all your non-shooting time, and then splice all your actual shooting/stage time back together.

Does it take forever to download 3 hours of video, and then is it a royal PITA to splice all the good stuff together?

Or are you better off hitting record right after "Make ready!", and then hitting stop after "Range is clear!", then splicing all those segments together?

That is or was one of the "drags" with my posercam...remembering to hit record and then remembering to hit stop after the stage.

The other "drag" with the posercam was having the wire for the external lens run down my back to the pouch on my belt. I was worried about getting that wire hooked on something.

So that wire-free aspect of the i-Kam makes it even cooler.

:cheers:

Hammar,

What benefits do you think the video gives you (what do you learn from it)? The camera angle is too far off for a sight picture but I guess it shows where you are looking and how you transition and shoot a stage.

I am having some ejection problems with my open gun and I hope with these glasses I can catch what is happening. I go to an indoor range to function fire my guns so hopefully with stationary slow fire the video will help diagnose the ejection problem.

^^^ I'm thinking that you will be better off with a regular handheld style camera or camcorder sitting on a tripod, if that is possible. An eyeglass mounted lens or hat bill mounted lens is just not going to have enough frames per second capture rate (I'm thinking)to catch what is going on. You can click on my profile here and take a look at the pic I captured in Windows Movie Maker...obviously a .45 ACP case isn't curved.

Besides that, if your open gun is a typical STI/SVI with an Allchin or Serendipity style of mount, there really isn't a lot of clearance from behind the gun to see what is going on with the chamber area.

My hatcam videos can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2YIIoL8Xgs

Or here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-870601232976768260&ei=uj-NS43_D4P0qwLaj9nPAw&q=posercam#

They're from 2007, and I sucked back then. I think I might have improved a bit since. So just watch 'em if you're really bored and have some time to kill.

I often let others wear them to record me running my stages or I record my buddies while tgey run their stages. Do not leave them on recording the whole match as the vidoe would take hours to download. I hit record as I walk up to the line. When you are wearing them, you do get a good view of you gun sontge could help diagnose some problems I would think. When I record my own stages, they reinforce what I thought i saw and often make me realize other things I should have done.

Recently got a pair for b-day present. Was worried they would just be another gadget but am greatly impressed. I have shot with them and viewed others shooting and find them to have many applications. The clarity is amazing. Its hard to believe such a small lense could give decent clarity but they do!:-)

OK, so I received my i-Kam extreme 3.0 today. I opened the box and the first thing I noticed were the lenses are tiny. I didn't notice that when looking at an on-line picture of them and I am surprised nobody that has them commented on that. I don't know if an RO would say anything but I don't feel they are adequate protection for your eyes. The second thing, when you are recording there is a blue light at the corner that blinks. Maybe outside in daylight you won't notice it much but inside in dim light it is annoying. They are a little snug on the head but I have a semi-mellon head. Another thing that disturbed me as soon as I looked at the instructions was a statement "DO NOT record toward the sun as damage to the camera may result" and "DO NOT expose device to rain or moisture as damage may result". Now I'm not looking for deep sea goggles but I sweat like a pig on hot sunny days. I may look up the return policy from where I purchased. YMMV

And they don't work well with traditional "ear muff" hearing protection. I thought about switching to ear plugs anyway but you would have to with these. And with the lenses being so small I found myself looking under them when loading mags, turning on the cmore, checking for empty chamber, that sort of stuff.

Edited by nphd2000

I just received my pair. I had a friend pick them up from a sports show down south. I got the opportunity to play with a pair he bought last month in PA. They are well built and light weight. I cannot wait to try them on the range this weekend. I will update as I get more information. Incidentally, my friend picked up the Missouri dealer rights. Pricing to follow, but should be in the $180 range...not sure why higher than what has posted so far...not so good a friend? :surprise: