Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Questions on 1050

I have a chance to buy a "slightly" used 1050 set up for 38 Super for somewhere between $1,000 and $1,100. Supposed to have less than 4,000 rounds through it. Is this about fair market price for a used machine? I would have no use for the 38 Super setup and would want to sell that and get 223Rem setup. Does this make financial sense?

Thanks,

Charlie

I have a chance to buy a "slightly" used 1050 set up for 38 Super for somewhere between $1,000 and $1,100. Supposed to have less than 4,000 rounds through it. Is this about fair market price for a used machine? I would have no use for the 38 Super setup and would want to sell that and get 223Rem setup. Does this make financial sense?

Thanks,

Charlie

If you don't want it and it is a 1050 and not super 1050 please let me know. 4,000 rounds is like new.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

Thanks,

Charlie

If you don't want it and it is a 1050 and not super 1050 please let me know. 4,000 rounds is like new.

What is the difference between a 1050 and a super 1050?

Press is worth the extra money IF you load a lot. Faster machine, better primer feed, does not hiccup on swaged primer pockets.

Cons? Conversion units are pricey and take a while to change over. This is not a machine for a beginner or a low volume shooter.

I have both a 650 and a RL1050, and despise doing short runs on the 650. :)

I have both the RL1050B and a Super 1050... while they are both excellent presses the RL1050B is a nicer press to reload .38 Special and .38 Super / 9mm with.

My main issue with the Super 1050 is the length of stroke, just a tad longer than the RL1050.

Both are faster than the XL650 (I have 3 of those).

I prefer to load .223's with the 650 and not the Super 1050 even though it is slower, it just seems to handle the job with less drama.

YMMV

Just what makes the 1050 faster than a 650?? Does it justify the extra cost?

It primes on the down-stroke so you don't have that extra movement at the top of the stroke. That way you can control the seating depth to be consistent instead of depending on "feel" as you do on the 650. That might not sound like much, but over time, you can load faster and have a more consistent result in your loaded rounds. I found seating depth of the bullets (OAL) to be more consistent as well on the 1050.

Just my $.01.......:rolleyes:

Alan~^~

It primes on the down-stroke so you don't have that extra movement at the top of the stroke. That way you can control the seating depth to be consistent instead of depending on "feel" as you do on the 650. That might not sound like much, but over time, you can load faster and have a more consistent result in your loaded rounds. I found seating depth of the bullets (OAL) to be more consistent as well on the 1050.

Just my $.01.......:rolleyes:

Alan~^~

That reason almost justifies it's purchase. If you will load enough ...

be

Shorter and easier stroke, toolhead drops instead of a ram rising, adjustable priming depth, primes on the downstroke of the handle, ability to swage primer pockets.....

Honestly: You've got to experience it to feel the difference. There's not a huge variation in feel between the SDB, 550 and 650; but there's big difference between those and the 1050....