Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vintage Bill Rogers Holster ?

comp7713c

This was one of the hot setups during the 80s. Two thicknesses of leather with plastic sandwiched in between. Might have been one of the earliest plastic holsters.

I have one for a 5 inch 1911 that says Plaxco World Speed Model on the front in ink like that one. I have one for a 6 inch 1911 that has the Rogers logo impressed into the leather on the back.

The holster wars were going on about the same time as the IPSC arms race. :unsure:

I have a K frame revolver holster with Rogers embossed on the back. Looks to me like the Daddy of a Safariland 002. Picked it out of a used holster bin sometime in the late 80's, still the only revolver holster I have.

I have 2 of the 5" models that I still use for 1911's (close to 30 years old). They are appendix or crossdraw (which was quite popular back then). When Safariland bought him out the material came to be known as Safarilaminate (sp). J. Michael Plaxco was one of the top guns back then. Rogers also made a straight drop holster endorsed, used and named for Ken Hakathorn (sp). Just a side note...Rogers was in on the ground floor of the original Wilson 8 rd. mags. as was Ken and the Novak rear sight.

FWIW

Richard

I started with one of these Rogers Plaxco holsters when I started shooting IPSC in the early 80's. Then it was Ernie Hill and then Safariland and then Rescomp and now I mostly use a Blade Tech. Oops, almost forgot the Davis Holster I had in there sometime.

What's Next???

Edited by latewatch

I'd pick it up if I were you. I've got a Rogers revolver holster (4-inch K/L frame) with the logo embossed on the back. I still use it sometimes. Had a Hackathorn model for my 1911; sold it to someone else at the club.

I like those old holsters-I've still got a Davis and an Ernie Hill along with the Rogers. I use a Wilson Practical now; never did get into Kydex.

I'll keep my Davis belt, even though it's too small-along with the holster, it's one of the early ones with "G. WM. DAVIS - MAKER" stamped into the leather, and no "horseshoe" style logo.

I had a Davis California Challenger for a while, too-sold it to a very nice lady at our club. I saw Gordon Davis wearing what probably was the prototype at a match in 1983.

Don't really need one, but I'd love to have a Sparks 1AT-another "classic" holster from back in the day.

My first holster was a Bianchi ranger nylon holster, got tired of drawing up into my armpits, wanted one of them fast low cut race holsters back in the day...got an ernie hill fastrac, steel lined leather, heavy as hell, and with an appendix draw was a dog going prone on...moving on, got a jethro 'jet' holster/platform, kinda big and bulky, then into a whole series of safariland 007/008 et al's, had and sold an original rescomp(in lime green no less) and am now running a non holster(limcat) holster

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...