Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scope mount got loose

boz1911

I just got my gun back from being Cobalt plated a few weeks ago. I completely disassembled it and reassembled using blue loctite for the scope mount. After a couple of matches and very little practice, today I noticed the mount was loose, and not just a little loose either.

I know the plating has superior lubricity qualities so my question is: Is the slippery plating in the threaded holes not holding the screws? Do I need to run a tap through the threads?

I prefer to not use red or green loctite just in case I need to disassemble at some point.

And as a history the screws have never loosened before.

I just got my gun back from being Cobalt plated a few weeks ago. I completely disassembled it and reassembled using blue loctite for the scope mount. After a couple of matches and very little practice, today I noticed the mount was loose, and not just a little loose either.

I know the plating has superior lubricity qualities so my question is: Is the slippery plating in the threaded holes not holding the screws? Do I need to run a tap through the threads?

I prefer to not use red or green loctite just in case I need to disassemble at some point.

And as a history the screws have never loosened before.

Hard to say really. I like to degrease the threads using a little rubbing alcohol, then use Loctite primer (can't recall the number) before using the blue loctite. Then, after you've mounted everything and let it set, put a drop of clear nailpolish or even crazy glue on the inside of the threads (inside the dust cover). That keeps oil/lube from working it's way into the screws and loosening things up. R,

Get some denatured alcohol at Home Depot, degrease the frame and screws with that. Use Loctite 271 (one of the red versions, yes, there are more than one red version) on the screws. Let it sit overnight, dont' soak the gun with Break Free (it seems to affect Loctite, when flooded with it) and it should be good.

Blue Loctite (242) is used when you want to remove the screws.

Edited by Dan Sierpina

I do prep everything, using alcohol and wax/grease remover. Sealing the screws inside the dust cover is something I've never thought of before, of course I've never had an issue.

I had to go look it up. The primer is 7649. One problem is that it's ORM-D so you'll get dinged with hazmat if it's not available locally. I got a big bottle and have put small amounts in little containers for other folks to try. R,

Loctite Red.

For removal, I use a soldering iron and some solder and heat the screw for a minute or so to break the loctite loose.

+1 with Red Loctite, a small blob of solder on tip of iron will make a larger heat bridge to transfer heat to screw.

• 2 weeks later...

Why make yourself nuts - use red Loctite and be done with it.

First clean threads with carb cleaner and make certain they are very clean and dry then Loctite and let set for 24 hours.

If you have to remove the mount you just hit it with a torch and they loosen up.

A mount that loosens if noty a plus.

Walter

• 2 weeks later...

Just as a follow up. After my mount got loose the first time I removed everything and thoughly prepped everything. This time I was more than generous with the blue loctite. Guess what, It started to come loose again after about 5-600 rounds.

This morning I cleaned everything again and ran a 5-40 tap through all the holes. I even used a drill bit by hand to rough up the tapered holes. I used generous amounts of Red Loctite instead of the normal blue. Hopefully this will cure the problem.