Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First USPSA Match

TGibe

Shot in my first “official” USPSA Match this weekend and had a blast. Everyone there was very helpful and I knew 4 of the 9 other guys in my squad from Thursday night practices at the local range, which I think helped my nerves a lot. I also got to meet a bunch of others and learned quite a bit on my first time out.

I just tried to make it through each stage safely and get hits on all the targets. I had a great points score with only one hard-cover miss all day, but my time was either the slowest or pretty close to that for each stage. Once again, I was focusing on being safe and not hurting myself or any others… I am sure that starting out in Limited will have its challenges, but it is the class I was drawn to the most and I am glad I made the jump early. I know that eventually I will get a little quicker as I grow into the sport, so the slow times did not bother me at all.

It is good to have the first one out of the way. It was also good to see how others approached stages and moved through the COFs.

Thanks to everyone on these forums for the advice (both directly and indirectly).

Oh, and by the way - I am not a big fan of the "Texas Star" :wacko:

Cheers,

Allen

Congratulations Allen. The first match is the hardest one and you made it through just fine. It was not that long ago I shot my first match and I remember the " information overflow " that followed.

This is a great forum and I continue to learn and get ideas here. Keep in touch and let everyone know how you are doing.

George

Congratulations Allen. The first match is the hardest one and you made it through just fine. It was not that long ago I shot my first match and I remember the " information overflow " that followed.

This is a great forum and I continue to learn and get ideas here. Keep in touch and let everyone know how you are doing.

George

Thanks George. There is certainly a lot to absorb, but these forums have really helped a lot.

:cheers:

You did it right be safe and make hits. Just keep on working on being accurate and speed will come with time. Being relaxed makes you much faster anytime you feel like you are rushing then your are and you will crash and burn.

I started out with a % in the teens 2 years ago, my last match was 70% two weeks ago. It takes time don't be too impatient.

The Texas Star can humbel even good shooters and I have seen shooters empty every mag on their belt and leave plates. So don't judge much from you first encounter with the star, its all about accuracy when you miss slow down, let the plate come down to the gun or let it hit the end of the turn when it reverses direction take your shot. Lots of differnt opinions on shooting it but top down has worked best for me.

You did it right be safe and make hits. Just keep on working on being accurate and speed will come with time. Being relaxed makes you much faster anytime you feel like you are rushing then your are and you will crash and burn.

I started out with a % in the teens 2 years ago, my last match was 70% two weeks ago. It takes time don't be too impatient.

The Texas Star can humbel even good shooters and I have seen shooters empty every mag on their belt and leave plates. So don't judge much from you first encounter with the star, its all about accuracy when you miss slow down, let the plate come down to the gun or let it hit the end of the turn when it reverses direction take your shot. Lots of differnt opinions on shooting it but top down has worked best for me.

Thanks for the words of encouragement Ron!

My % for the match was 45.7, but I felt pretty good about only being down 40 points (out of a possible 740) for the entire match (I had one hard cover miss which is included in the 40). Just like you, my friends said they wanted me to focus on accuracy first, so that is how I approached this one.

The best thing is now I know what to practice for during our Thursday evening sessions.

Cheers,

Allen

Edited by TGibe

Oh, and by the way - I am not a big fan of the "Texas Star" :wacko:

Cheers,

Allen

Who is??? They might be "fun" but that doesn't make me a fan either.

I hope to find them fun one day. :-)

But on that stage all I could think about was that star until I was done with it. As hard as I tried to focus on the first parts of the stage, I know my mind was already looking ahead to it.

I guess experience will help me deal with new things like that over time...

Thanks,

Allen

I just tried to make it through each stage safely and get hits on all the targets.

That's the path to success in this sport. Speed will come with time. Focus on accuracy to start.

Welcome to the most addictive sport on Earth. :cheers:

Welcome !!! now after a couple more matches tell someone else how safe and fun our sport is and get another shooter out with you, before you know it you will shoot at section and area matches and make new shooting friends from around the country

I just tried to make it through each stage safely and get hits on all the targets.

That's the path to success in this sport. Speed will come with time. Focus on accuracy to start.

Welcome to the most addictive sport on Earth. :cheers:

Thanks for the welcome XD...

I can't wait to get out to another match!

Welcome !!! now after a couple more matches tell someone else how safe and fun our sport is and get another shooter out with you, before you know it you will shoot at section and area matches and make new shooting friends from around the country

Will do. I already have some friends interested. I don't think all will give it a go, but I may convert one or two over time... :)

Take care,

Allen

I guess I'm the oddball cause I love the star. Doesn't mean I excel at it though

Wish I could see it at more matches, although one of the guys I travel with hates it!

Mildot

I REALLY hope there's no star this weekend! :unsure: (my first USPSA match is Sunday)

I guess I'm the oddball cause I love the star. Doesn't mean I excel at it though

Wish I could see it at more matches, although one of the guys I travel with hates it!

Mildot

I REALLY hope there's no star this weekend! :unsure: (my first USPSA match is Sunday)

Dave:

As far as I know, Topton does not have a Star. If you want, I'll ask Dean if I could bring one of mine just for you. :roflol: Just kidding of course. The Star does visit Guthsville though. See you Sunday.

Mildot

Dave:

As far as I know, Topton does not have a Star. If you want, I'll ask Dean if I could bring one of mine just for you. :roflol: Just kidding of course. The Star does visit Guthsville though. See you Sunday.

I'll be shooting at Guthsville too. Looking forward to emptying a 23 round mag on the damn thing. :ph34r:

I'm hoping the match Sunday isn't cancelled. It's supposed to be 40 degrees Fri, Sat and Sun so I'm hoping the ground isn't icy. I wanna shoot!

You beat me by a couple weeks. got my first match (albeit a small indoor one) end of the month. lokos like my first outdoor match will be a level II in April, lol. Im super excited yet super anxious at the same time to get started in this new sport.....

Great job at your first match! Be safe, have fun and enjoy how you improve over the years. I started off as a low D (only because there was no F) and in 2 1/2 years have made it to a mid B. I had every bit as much fun at my first match as I did last Sunday.

Oh, once you get used to the star you will run across a weighted one. They spin like propellers. :goof: :goof:

You beat me by a couple weeks. got my first match (albeit a small indoor one) end of the month. lokos like my first outdoor match will be a level II in April, lol. Im super excited yet super anxious at the same time to get started in this new sport.....

Hi Corey,

Good luck and I am sure you will have as much fun as I had. I am just glad it was 50 degrees, dry, and not windy outside for my first one. Working through the stages made the day go fast, but I can't wait for the next one!

Cheers,

Allen

Great job at your first match! Be safe, have fun and enjoy how you improve over the years. I started off as a low D (only because there was no F) and in 2 1/2 years have made it to a mid B. I had every bit as much fun at my first match as I did last Sunday.

Oh, once you get used to the star you will run across a weighted one. They spin like propellers. :goof: :goof:

Thanks Neomet! I can certainly see how experience helps you improve in this sport.

Take care,

Allen