Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder Measure Knobs

I was browsing GunBroker last week, when I found this:

lgbluedetail.jpg

newredlgonmeasure.jpg

I know it is not an UniqueTek, but I bought three for $18.99 and I love the Dillon Blue :rolleyes:

I could have gone to Home Depot too, and saved a few bucks, but the HD ones looks like toilet knobs AFAICS.

If you search for "Knobs for Dillon" on GB you should be able to find them.

I still haven't got mines yet, but will report back once I tried them.

Edited by HotIce

I have looked at these and they are pretty much the same knob as home depot only they are modified with the dot and pressed onto a machined bolt. I have the white version from HD pressed onto mine now and it works great.

I have a small order on the way of just the knobs to press fit onto the stock bolt head. They are dillon blue. I will have them offered up here for sale in a week or so probably.

I have a few MrDial's from e-bay but don't use it much once I find the load I want to use. If I were to use different charges with the same powder charger, I'd use a UniqueTek.

+1 on UniqueTek, I have one on both large and small powder bars and if you take the time to complete the free Excel spread sheet they include setting the desired charge weight is super quick. Sure beats having several powder measures all over the bench.

I prefer to have multiple powder measures and leave them attached to the tool heads (reduces caliber-change times to very close to zero for me).

Once they are set, I don't touch the powder bar unless I happen to change the powder type for a given caliber. Which I guess not being a frequent event.

Even though I'd have a UniqueTek, I'd always check the drop after re-setting it, so that wouldn't change much for me.

I have no doubt the UniqueTek is a great piece of hardware, but it is also $40+ each and if you have a few toolheads, that adds up.

I have several UniqueTek's and can't really recommend them for general use. In my experience you most of the time are concerned with small increments/decrements, and that is much faster done with a dial knob. The UniqueTek covering the range from 1.9 grain to 13.9 grain is hardly an asset.

When it comes to powder changes I simply change the drops. These all go on the same tool head, it takes only seconds to change them.

post-21305-1263248497_thumb.jpg

Edited by Foxbat

Foxbat,

Slight threaddrift from your pic... I would recommend - always store powder in the airtight container it came in. Otherwise it will absorb moisture if it's stored in the Powder Measure. Even in super dry Arizona I did that. Found it mattered.

be

Foxbat,

Slight threaddrift from your pic... I would recommend - always store powder in the airtight container it came in. Otherwise it will absorb moisture if it's stored in the Powder Measure. Even in super dry Arizona I did that. Found it mattered.

be

Thanks Brian, I was just about to post that as well, and while the moisture has other issues, it also causes the flakes/rods/balls to expand as a result and even tho the throw will measure the same it will be less powder, or if it thows the same volume, and you measure it, it may be heavier and you'll crank back the powder and end up with a light load either way...

At the minimum, but I'm not sure I'd go there either as I suspect these bags don't take very long to *max* out their capacity to absorb, throw a large descant bag in each.

Alan

Foxbat,

be

Hi Brian,

I guess the trick is to shoot enough! :) My problem usually is keeping them full. :)

Seriously though, I agree it maters in critical loads like the 38 Super. But in loads for casual practice oр pleasure shooting I have not seen any ill effects. On a couple of occasions I had used powder that had been sitting in a measure for years, and did not notice any difference. Perhaps some modern powders have better moisture protection that others.

Not a recommendation of any kind, just a personal observation.

Edited by Foxbat

I was browsing GunBroker last week, when I found this:

lgbluedetail.jpg

newredlgonmeasure.jpg

I know it is not an UniqueTek, but I bought three for $18.99 and I love the Dillon Blue :rolleyes:

I could have gone to Home Depot too, and saved a few bucks, but the HD ones looks like toilet knobs AFAICS.

If you search for "Knobs for Dillon" on GB you should be able to find them.

I still haven't got mines yet, but will report back once I tried them.

I have them in blue and like them alot..for the money :cheers:

Foxbat,

be

As of late I have not been emptying the powder out of the hopper getting lazy I guess. Looks like I will be emptying from now on,going too go do it right now! :o