Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heavy Metal Shotgun

Ohioguy

I am not ready to shoot in any 3 gun type matches yet, but I am in the market for a pump shotgun that would work well in Heavy Metal if and when one day I decide to purchase a 30 cal rifle.

Remington 870 really the only way to go? I have a old Mossy 500 that I would like to supplant(limited magazine capacity if you are asking), and would like some suggestions.

I have some rifle questions as well, so I'll post them over inthe rifle thread.

IMO there is NO substitute for a Benelli product. go with a Nova or Super Nova, reliability, ease of maintenance and accessory rich make them the best no headaches , all around choice.

Trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

HM, even by USPSA rules, is limited to 8+1. I use an 870 because I set it up for HM before I realized how much better the Nova would be. There is nothing wrong w/ the 870, but the Nova loads much faster. 22 round shotgun stage= 13 loads. If you save only .25 seconds per round on loading the Nova, there is 3.25 seconds on a stage. It all adds up!

:)

IMO there is NO substitute for a Benelli product. go with a Nova or Super Nova, reliability, ease of maintenance and accessory rich make them the best no headaches , all around choice.

Trapr

Agreed. The Nova/Supernova pump is the way to go.

Edited by cold

I can say I have never held a Nova, nor any other Benelli for that matter. I will have to check one out when the time arrives.

Lookiing at the mods for the Nova, are they that simple?

This maybe a stupid question, but are there shotgun only matches? I am not ready to buy a .308 rifle yet (and all the accesories), but I wouldn't mind shooting a SG match.

High Plains Shotgun Challenge.

and Yes!!!! I am the match director, also Yes, Nova mods are pretty easy to do. there is a topic on them in here somewhere, search for "Nova mods"

Trapr

Something in Ohio would be better. I'll do a search.

I have owned 870s for years and hunted with them. I started practicing loading one thinking I would put a tube on it and use it for HM after I bought my AR10. I realized then how much difference it was to load my Benelli M1 Super 90 than the 870. The 870 has semi sharp edges around the loading port and if you let a shell go early and it pops back over the carrier, you have got problems (all of my 870s are old and don't have the notched carrier). I started talking about getting a Nova and setting it up for HM. My wife (best one in the world) gave me a 24" Nova for Christmas, I have not shot it much yet, but I have loaded and dryfired it quite a bit. I like it. The Nordic tube for it should be here Monday. Now I will just have to learn to shoot it faster, as my splits are twice what they are with my M1.

Hurley

Hurley, splits with a pump are going to be twice as slow as an auto, its not hard for me to get .25splits with my M1 but .50 splits with my Nova's is as quick as I can get hits.

Just don't miss!!!!

Trapr

Thanks Trapr, that makes me feel a little better. I am not fast by any means, .33s with my M1 and was getting .59s (average) with the Nova. I still need to practice more though, I bound it up a couple of times trying to work it before I pulled the trigger.

Hurley