Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2010 Steel City Carbine Championship

I sent my application in Tuesday, and am now working in more time in my schedule for practicing with my rifle. Now to find some rifle matches so that I can get in some "on the clock" time. It will be an experience that is for sure. :lol:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone's back from SHOT and I've been able to speak to several of the sponsor representatives this week. Here are some of the folks who's fine products will be on the prize table this year:

Sabre Defence

Bushmaster

DPMS

Brownell's

Magpul

S&W

Many more pending. Further updates as conditions warrant.

The stages are shaping up nicely as well. There'll be many fun and unique challenges with the carbine this year!

See you in May.

David

David,

i am toying with the idea of building a 2nd gun for a different division. would it be possible to shoot a 2nd gun in the match?

i would want it to be for score but no trophy, this is a non issue. unless everyone else was DQed! :rolleyes:

would like the 2nd shirt but only one crack at the prize table is fine with me.

thanks

Robert

David,

i am toying with the idea of building a 2nd gun for a different division. would it be possible to shoot a 2nd gun in the match?

i would want it to be for score but no trophy, this is a non issue. unless everyone else was DQed! :rolleyes:

thanks

Robert

We'd need to see how full the match is Robert. You will only be able to shoot the match one time in a day so you'd need to plan on a second day. If we're full on both days as we were last year, I'd hesitate to let someone shoot twice and prevent someone from shooting altogether. Hopefully that makes sense. I suggest signing up for the main day with the main gun you want to shoot and we'll see how crowded things are closer to time. You can get an extra shirt in addition to the one that comes with registration for $10. Let me know when you send in your registration.

Hope that helps.

David,

thanks

Robert

We'd need to see how full the match is Robert. You will only be able to shoot the match one time in a day so you'd need to plan on a second day. If we're full on both days as we were last year, I'd hesitate to let someone shoot twice and prevent someone from shooting altogether. Hopefully that makes sense. I suggest signing up for the main day with the main gun you want to shoot and we'll see how crowded things are closer to time. You can get an extra shirt in addition to the one that comes with registration for $10. Let me know when you send in your registration.

Hope that helps.

THANKS, but the app should be in your mail box today! main gun on saturday

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Dave, you still need me to RO? Or can I just shoot and watch? :D

Not sure about Brent And Tony, I will fill you in later.

Oh I'll definitely need your help Lenard, sounds like more than ever! Thanks for the update.

I've been out of town for work the past two weeks. I'll post a sponsor and registration update in a few days. It looks like Sunday is filling up pretty fast.

Just sent e-mail confirmations for all the entries that have been received over the past 3 weeks. Sorry for the delay, I've been out of town for work.

Both days are a bit over half full. Several more sponsors confirmed. Big fun ahead in May.

David

Is the prize table pretty much the same for Saturday and Sunday? Is this match worth a 7.5 hr drive? I see on the match application the prize table is by order of finish and/or drawing. Can someone explain this, and if it is by order of finish will the prize table be Sunday only?

Edited by tk4

last year the prize table was ramdom and held each day for the shooters of that day. which was nice because you only shoot one day so i shot saturday and stayed for the random prize table and left on my 4 hour drive home.

if you think you will be one of the top shooters in your division then shoot on Sunday to get your trophy.

for the group i shoot with it is very much worth the drive each time they any rifle match!

Edited by RWF

Quick update on registration etc.

There are about 20ish spots still available for Saturday. I got a bunch of applications this past week and suspect Sat will fill up shortly. If you want to shoot Saturday, don't wait too much longer to get your apps in.

Sunday is looking a little better with slightly more than 30 spots still available.

Lots of sponsors are sending nice things for us to give away and we are VERY appreciative of their support. Details will be communicated to registered shooters.

It will be a great weekend of carbine shooting!

DT

I'm driving over 7 hours to be there and I wouldn't care if they gave out prizes or not(not that I'll give anything back that I happen to win). Great match with a great group of people.

Great folks that understand how to present a challenging yet shootable match, great facility. Not a finer group of gun folk to be found.

Should be on the 'must shoot list' of matches.

TC

I just printed out the entry form, looks like I'm finally gonna make this match. Amazing how gettin gout of the gun business freed up so much more time for shooting... :devil:

DanO

Dan,

It'll be great to have you down to shoot with us! Looking forward to it. See you in May.

David

• 4 weeks later...

The match is now full on both Saturday and Sunday. A waiting list is in place both days for those still wanting to shoot. Please send in your application and match fee. I won't process your check until your spot clears.

Details regarding the prize table etc will be e-mailed out to the registered shooters soon.

Thanks to everyone for your interest in the match, it will be a fun time!

Looking forward to seeing everyone in May!

David

Edited by dt1

• 1 month later...

Is there an address to the range that I can plug into my GPS?

Also, I was looking at the scoring method and wondering if any of the top shooters opt to shoot only one shot at each target?

Directions to the range may be found on the Steel City website, specifically on this page: http://www.scssa.org/club_profile.htm

Regarding target engagement, most people shooting "tactcial division" (223) shoot twice at the paper targets and heavy metal (308) folks shoot once. If you shoot once (accurately) at each target you can negotiate any of the stages with one 20rnd magazine with any rifle. Not many 223 shooters opt to do that.

The stages will have a nice balance of both wide open and challenging shots. Longest shots will be out to around 280-300yds. It will be helpful to know exactly where your rifle hits from up close to 150yds. There'll be lots of stuff you're use to seeing at the match plus a few new twists.

Directions to the range may be found on the Steel City website, specifically on this page: http://www.scssa.org/club_profile.htm

Regarding target engagement, most people shooting "tactcial division" (223) shoot twice at the paper targets and heavy metal (308) folks shoot once. If you shoot once (accurately) at each target you can negotiate any of the stages with one 20rnd magazine with any rifle. Not many 223 shooters opt to do that.

The stages will have a nice balance of both wide open and challenging shots. Longest shots will be out to around 280-300yds. It will be helpful to know exactly where your rifle hits from up close to 150yds. There'll be lots of stuff you're use to seeing at the match plus a few new twists.

I hate it when Dave says to know "exactly where your rifle hits"

Hey! Didn't I read somewhere that this was supposed to be a "FUN" match?

5 little targets, aiming, 5 targets with only 5 rounds???

I thought this was all about looking "cool" with lots of gizmo's on your rifle... :roflol:

c-ya in Saturday next!

If you liked that you'll love whats in store for this year. :devil:

What, do we just throw our ammunition in the garbage can at the buzzer and then throw rocks at the plates?

Hurley