Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Indoor Pin Shoots

pgh george

I saw a notice last month for an Indoor Bowling Pin Match at OSU.

My club shoots Pins every week May - Nov. and I really enjoy shooting the event.

I did not know that Pin Shoots were being held indoors and am curious as to

where these shoots are held around the country.

Any info on the events that you have shot and your experience is appreciated.

Thanks

:cheers:

The response has been great.

Thank you

If any one has video of an Indoor Pin Shoot please pass it along or PM me.

It would help me sell this event to my Club's Board.

Edited by pgh george

My first time shooting a competitive shooting event was a bowling pin match at an indoor range near my house in Northern Kentucky. I had gone to do some target practice but was told that there were closing early for the bowling pin match. The guys hanging around asked me what I was shooting (at that time a Springfield 45 auto) they said that would be perfect for the job. I don't know what perfect is but I'm sure it's better than just hitting a few pins here or there. I couldn't clean one table back then. Anyway those guys introduced me to other shooting sports including this one and now as my wife puts it (he has a problem) like I'm sick or something. Anyway go check it out I'm sure you will have fun.

http://www.tcrgc.org/

The club above is located in Holland, Michigan and holds monthly pin matches Dec-Mar each winter. Usually 50 to 75 shooters and 300 to 500 runs on tables. Three tables per run, throw out the slowest time, total time. Ten catagories from iron sight .22 pistols to full auto. Match is the best run, on time shooting match we attend, bar none. When you are scheduled, that's when you shoot. Generous pay outs on the Lewis system.

There is an indoor pin shoot being held at Master Class Supply in Monroe, NY on January 24. It is near West Point to give you an idea of where it is located. It is usually a good time with very good attendance. IIRC you can shoot centerfire and rimfire pistol and shotgun events.

Adam

I saw a notice last month for an Indoor Bowling Pin Match at OSU.

My club shoots Pins every week May - Nov. and I really enjoy shooting the event.

I did not know that Pin Shoots were being held indoors and am curious as to

where these shoots are held around the country.

Any info on the events that you have shot and your experience is appreciated.

Thanks

The response has been great.

Thank you

If any one has video of an Indoor Pin Shoot please pass it along or PM me.

It would help me sell this event to my Club's Board.

There are videos of "bowling pin matches" on youtube. Some are indoors.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...+owling+pin+mat

How you structure your match, shooting bowing pins, is entirely up to you.

The "real" bowling pin matches (Second Chance style ?), had tables that were 3ft deep. The pins were on the front edge of the tables, and you had to drive them off (if they just fell over when hit, you still had to shoot them off the table). The guns that are up to the task are all of the magnum variety. 9mm and 40, need not apply. If you are a purist, this would be the way to go. (I doubt there are many purist that will come to your match.)

We have one club, near Zanesville, OH that shoots outdoor bowling pins in that manner. http://www.llrpc.com/

And, they take the shot up pins, cut the tops off, and then use the pin tops to shoot with rimfire.

There are two indoor shooting ranges (gun shops) in Columbus that used to run Friday night pins matches (they alternated Fridays with each other). They each had about 15 pins per run (reload after 10 shots max). These were not set on a 3ft deep table, so they were 9mm and 40 friendly. I think they used something like a 2x6 to set the pins on. They also ran an extra stop pin (so, 16 total, IIRC). The stop pin had two red painted pins standing guard in front of it such that only the top of the stop pin was visible. Hit a red pin and you time didn't count.

http://www.nasr.com/

http://www.blackwingsc.com/index.htm

The pin match at OSU is all .22 rimfire. Run a 2x6 bewteen sawhorses and put the pins toward the back edge of the 2x4.

I don't know, but people say that bowling alleys trash their old pins. If so, you can likely get pins cheap or free.

Scoring is all on the clock...however long it takes to clear the pins.

Start position is the low ready (gun down at a 45d angle or elbows touching the sides of the rib cage). I'd strongly suggest starting with the finger OUT of the trigger guard.

There is no movement involved.

Reloading on the clock? ...up to you on how you set your match up.

You (as Match Director) control the angles of fire, since you setup the target positions and the shooting location.

At the OSU match, one setup is five pins in a row on a board, like a plate rack. They run three sets of these, side-by-side. Back at the firing line, there are three desks/tables for the shooters. They run three shooters in a row. The Range Officer loads the first shooter, that shooter shoots and the gun is cleared (Range Officer verified), then the Range Officer goes down the line and loads the next shooter for their run. The range is cleared, then the pins are reset for the next relay of shooters. I think each shooter gets a total of 4 runs, and they keep the best run. (There is another stage at the other end of the shooting range that runs a different (but similar) setup.

http://www.youtube.com/user/10mmdave#p/u/51/C-HpSPR3r7A

If you check out my acccount on utube and look at the "MRA 12-20-2009" vids you'll see

how we do pins at this club.

We have 3 tables and run a shooter thru a total of 6 times, throw the worst time and

the lowest total is the winner. We have 2 divisions, iron sites and dot/comp guns.

We have 3 tables and run a shooter thru a total of 6 times...

So, you run one shooter all the way through? (which I think is an attractive option vs. the 3 shooters that the OSU match runs back-to-back)

We run one shooter thru 3 tables, do the whole list that way, then run the whole list again.

If we ran one shooter thru 6 times the last on the list would wait a long time to get their chance to shoot,

the first shooters would be all done and get bored or would do the "shoot & scoot" dance.

We run a pin match down here in Micanopy, FL (10 miles south of Gainesville, FL...Home of the Gators!) every Wednesday night. We use a 4' x 4' square table, pins set up just like in a bowling alley (in the triangle shape). The pins have to be knocked completely off the table, you get 3 mags of 6 to do it. Contrary to belief, they can be knocked off the table with as small as a 32 auto (I usually either shoot a 40 S&W or a 38 super) (we used to have a nurse come in with her 32 snubby and knock the hell out of them). You can run whatever you bring, we just prefer that no 44 mags or so show up, as they wreak havoc on the pins. Usually it's a mixed bag shoot, with the pins iin one bay, steel in another, and maybe a spinner or more steel in a 3rd. Three shooters shoot at a time, one at each stage, once the stage is done, we re-set targets, then move to next stage, until the shooters shoot all three stages. It's all for bragging rights, but it will cost you $10 to shoot the match (we have to rent the range for $100). the fourth Wednesday of the month is rimfire, so we do about the same thing, with the pin tops.

Scoring is done by time and pins/steel left standing. All targets knocked down, your score is your time (re-loads are on the clock), there is a 100 second penalty for each target left after your 18 rounds.

We have two divisions: Hardcore & Fun-N-Gun

Hardcore gets the 3 mags (or speedloaders) of 6 each, Fun-N-Gun gets 4 mags or speedloaders of 6 each.

Come on down, it's a blast!

There are videos of "bowling pin matches" on youtube. Some are indoors.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...+owling+pin+mat

How you structure your match, shooting bowing pins, is entirely up to you.

The "real" bowling pin matches (Second Chance style ?), had tables that were 3ft deep. The pins were on the front edge of the tables, and you had to drive them off (if they just fell over when hit, you still had to shoot them off the table). The guns that are up to the task are all of the magnum variety. 9mm and 40, need not apply. If you are a purist, this would be the way to go. (I doubt there are many purist that will come to your match.)

We have one club, near Zanesville, OH that shoots outdoor bowling pins in that manner. http://www.llrpc.com/

And, they take the shot up pins, cut the tops off, and then use the pin tops to shoot with rimfire.

There are two indoor shooting ranges (gun shops) in Columbus that used to run Friday night pins matches (they alternated Fridays with each other). They each had about 15 pins per run (reload after 10 shots max). These were not set on a 3ft deep table, so they were 9mm and 40 friendly. I think they used something like a 2x6 to set the pins on. They also ran an extra stop pin (so, 16 total, IIRC). The stop pin had two red painted pins standing guard in front of it such that only the top of the stop pin was visible. Hit a red pin and you time didn't count.

http://www.nasr.com/

http://www.blackwingsc.com/index.htm

The pin match at OSU is all .22 rimfire. Run a 2x6 bewteen sawhorses and put the pins toward the back edge of the 2x4.

I don't know, but people say that bowling alleys trash their old pins. If so, you can likely get pins cheap or free.

Scoring is all on the clock...however long it takes to clear the pins.

Start position is the low ready (gun down at a 45d angle or elbows touching the sides of the rib cage). I'd strongly suggest starting with the finger OUT of the trigger guard.

There is no movement involved.

Reloading on the clock? ...up to you on how you set your match up.

You (as Match Director) control the angles of fire, since you setup the target positions and the shooting location.

At the OSU match, one setup is five pins in a row on a board, like a plate rack. They run three sets of these, side-by-side. Back at the firing line, there are three desks/tables for the shooters. They run three shooters in a row. The Range Officer loads the first shooter, that shooter shoots and the gun is cleared (Range Officer verified), then the Range Officer goes down the line and loads the next shooter for their run. The range is cleared, then the pins are reset for the next relay of shooters. I think each shooter gets a total of 4 runs, and they keep the best run. (There is another stage at the other end of the shooting range that runs a different (but similar) setup.

Wow Flex !

I hope you type as fast as you shoot.

That was a most appreciated and comprehensive reply.

Thanks for your input.

PS

I shoot faster than I can type. :cheers:

http://www.youtube.com/user/10mmdave#p/u/51/C-HpSPR3r7A

If you check out my acccount on utube and look at the "MRA 12-20-2009" vids you'll see

how we do pins at this club.

We have 3 tables and run a shooter thru a total of 6 times, throw the worst time and

the lowest total is the winner. We have 2 divisions, iron sites and dot/comp guns.

Dave,

Nice shooting !

:bow:

The Video is exactly what I needed.

Thanks

We run a pin match down here in Micanopy, FL (10 miles south of Gainesville, FL...Home of the Gators!) every Wednesday night. We use a 4' x 4' square table, pins set up just like in a bowling alley (in the triangle shape). The pins have to be knocked completely off the table, you get 3 mags of 6 to do it. Contrary to belief, they can be knocked off the table with as small as a 32 auto (I usually either shoot a 40 S&W or a 38 super) (we used to have a nurse come in with her 32 snubby and knock the hell out of them). You can run whatever you bring, we just prefer that no 44 mags or so show up, as they wreak havoc on the pins. Usually it's a mixed bag shoot, with the pins iin one bay, steel in another, and maybe a spinner or more steel in a 3rd. Three shooters shoot at a time, one at each stage, once the stage is done, we re-set targets, then move to next stage, until the shooters shoot all three stages. It's all for bragging rights, but it will cost you $10 to shoot the match (we have to rent the range for $100). the fourth Wednesday of the month is rimfire, so we do about the same thing, with the pin tops.

Scoring is done by time and pins/steel left standing. All targets knocked down, your score is your time (re-loads are on the clock), there is a 100 second penalty for each target left after your 18 rounds.

We have two divisions: Hardcore & Fun-N-Gun

Hardcore gets the 3 mags (or speedloaders) of 6 each, Fun-N-Gun gets 4 mags or speedloaders of 6 each.

Come on down, it's a blast!

Grumpy,

Your invitation and the event are Hard To Resist !

It's 14 degrees here. :lol:

Wish I was there !

Well, I live exactly .7 miles (sometimes I think I might be too close! :lol: ) from the range, and it was 16 degrees here the other morning! We've had people come and shoot with us who have only fired their gun the day they bought it, WE WANT NEW PEOPLE TO SHOOT! (well, not to shoot them but them to shoot the matches!)

I want to say Thank you once again,

to everyone who has contributrd to this topic.

I have a few more Questions as I try to wrap up my research.

Indoor Pin Shoot Questions

Distance from shooter to pin table - 25 ft ?

Restrctions on Bullet type and caliber ?

Ricochet concerns (more indoors) ?

Anything I may have missed - Regarding this Indoor Pin Shoot Topic -

that has not been covered by all the posts to date - feel free to ad.

1. One of the nights we shoot 21ft, the other 25ft.

2. Nope, run what ya brung. One of the nights we have different classes and you compete against other like calibers. Small = Rimfire, Medium = Centerfire up to .38/9mm, Large = .357mag and up

3. Most of us have been hit with a backwards flying something. Eye protection is a must. Mainly slow moving big bullets are the biggest problem IMO. They seem to bounce off the pin the most.

I want to say Thank you once again,

to everyone who has contributrd to this topic.

I have a few more Questions as I try to wrap up my research.

Indoor Pin Shoot Questions

Distance from shooter to pin table - 25 ft ?

Restrctions on Bullet type and caliber ?

Ricochet concerns (more indoors) ?

Anything I may have missed - Regarding this Indoor Pin Shoot Topic -

that has not been covered by all the posts to date - feel free to ad.

The closest we will set up a table with pins is 15 yards (45'), no bullet or caliber restrictions. We do get some splash back, even at 45'. Our tables have a piece of angle iron bolted to the front to keep the table from getting completely destroyed, and the worst I've seen is a complete 38 special slug coming almost straight back and nailing the load bench directly between myself and another shooter. Glasses are a must.

edited for content

Edited by GrumpyOne