Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Miniature IPSC targets for indoor dry-fire practice

Dennis Loh

Can anybody out there provide me the contact/fax nos.,or e-mail of this 'C&M Target Systems', PO Box 67913, Albuquerque,

NM 87193-7913.As I understand this companty makes miniature ipsc targets fro indoor dry-fire. Appreciate your kind assistance in this matter very much.  

I just got a few from George Smith at EGW.  

egw@pil.net

He only had 100.He may be able to sell some to you or give you the info you need.

I think one of our clubs is going to use them for a rifle side match. They are cute.

Bill

Dennis,

I own the mini-targets you're referring to.  I looked at the targets and the literature that came with the targets, no phone number.  I also checked their ad in the Front Sight, no numbers listed.  Maybe the guy hates phone calls!

Bill

I got the mini ipsc targets I use for dry firing from Matt Burkett's book.  I just photo copied the one in the book, made a template with paper, and used it to trace targets onto old cardboard.  I have two kinds. The first is a plain target I tape on a wall and the other is a self standing one I made by leaving extra cardboard on the bottom of the target.  I make two vertical cuts in the extra cardboard which turns them into three little feet when the outside of the three pieces are bent back.  

Dennis,

I was a bit weary, too, about sending a check to a Co. w/o contact info. But I did it and they/he/she/it promptly sent the miniature target set. I use it a lot, it comes with PPs and Ts made of sturdy cardboard. Yes, you can make them yourself, too, but it takes time, and time is money....

--Detlef

Dennis,

I also was a bit weary, but sent the $20 or $27 or whatever it was to them and in less than a week, I had my set. I love them, even better than the smaller ones in Matt Burkett's book. I think it is a 4:1 ratio in yards.

You measure out 1 yard from the targets and the targets appear like they would at 4 yards. Measure out 4 yards and they appear to be 16 yards.

Kevin/IPSC Supercop

• 2 years later...

OK, I know this is a really old thread, and maybe someone else has already come up with this idea and posted it somewhere else, but I will put in my "inovation" anyway.

I took the lightest sheet steel I could find and mounted it in a non-perminant manner to the wall where I do my dry fire practice (if you want I can give you the details on how I hung the steel). Then I got some magnets with adhesive on them from the local hobby shop. Put the magnets on the back of the miniature targets, and you can then arrange them in any way you want on the wall. I got two thicknesses of magnets, so I can even slide shoot targets behind no-shoot ones. Works great for working on stages like the El Pres.

• 11 months later...
Dennis,

I also was a bit weary, but sent the or or whatever it was to them and in less than a week, I had my set. I love them, even better than the smaller ones in Matt Burkett's book. I think it is a 4:1 ratio in yards.

You measure out 1 yard from the targets and the targets appear like they would at 4 yards. Measure out 4 yards and they appear to be 16 yards.

Kevin/IPSC Supercop

With a little bit of measurement, and a little bit of trigonometry, the distance ratio of the miniature IPSC targets is actually 2:1.

The height is 15 inches. The real one is 30 inches.

The width of the A-zone is 3 inches. The real one is 6 inches.

The 4:1 ratio is the perceived area -- width times height--two dimensional. But distance is strictly one dimensional so the ratio is 6:3 or 30:15 which is 2.

So, if you place the miniature target at 5 yards, it will appear the same size as a full-size target at 10 yards.

Just a matter of geometry! B)

I wonder how many shooters have been practicing with the miniatures and thinking they were dry firing at (perceived) greater distances?

Chaps FY42206 B-Class Limited, A-student Physics/Math!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I have access to CAD software and drew the IPSC target real size and then scaled it to 1/3. This way 1 foot distance equals the 1 yd. sight picture (dry firing at 10 ft. is similar to 10 yd.). It also is the right size to cut from your standard grocery bag (1 per side). I made a template from plywood with the A zones cut out and just take an xacto knife around the perimeter and pencil trace the A zones, yielding a cute little brown target. They also work great for airgun practice indoors.

Seeing what people are getting for miniature targets, I realize yet again I'm never destined to be rich....

I cut mine out of card board, taped and painted partials and no-shoots and never dry fire to an open target. Now I am a pretty accurate but often don't put the peddal down on wide open targets :blink: