Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best 1911 mag release

ogiebb

ive tried to do a search but i could not get any answers on which 1911 mag release to use..

im trying to look for a mag release thats tall enough without using a button

i have seen some pics in the gallery of some but i dont know who made them

if this topic has been discussed before please point me to the right thread ...Thanks

Hello: The McCormick extended one works well if you don't need the button. The Wilson one works great--the one with the paddle and I cut the mag release down some for table starts :cheers: It brings the button back to my thumb and does not stick out too far. I also cut down the mag release spring a little to help out with the mag release pressure. Thanks, Eric

I don't know if it's IDPA leagal but I really like the S&A ambi mag release button. I have small hands and being able to use my trigger finger to drop the mag and not having to shift the gun in my hand really made a big differance for me.

Scott

Some parts "upgrades' really arnt. mny of the problems at matches stem from these so called upgrades, there is a reason the original is designed the way it is. Something I repeatedly found out the hard way, then its back to the work bench to make it work like the original just to have an extended mag release.

3 issues come to mind you need to consider:

1. Table starts, if your right handed you will have a tendency to disengage the magazine when you grab the gun this is much less likely to happen with a normal release.

2. weak hand, hitting the extended button while shooting.

3. over pressing the button, if the button sticks out more you can press it in more press it in really fast and hard like you would under stress and you end up pinning the mag in the gun from the left, when this jhappens you push even harder on the button till you figure it out.

1 and 2 can be mitigated by extra power spring, and 3 can be mitigated by shaping the left side of catch. But these extended normal size are basically a solution to a nonexistent problem, they arnt any faster or easier to hit, people have front to rear issues with reaching them Making them stick out farther wont do squat to your scores. Making the button bigger may help but that isnt legal in all sports.

+1 on the Ed Brown extra length release. I got the ones I use at Brownell's. I have stubby little fingers that don't let my thumb get on the release button without shifting my grip quite a bit. Really adds time to the mag changes. The Ed Brown is just perfect for me and does not seem to be inclined to cause any unreliability for me so far!

1. Table starts, if your right handed you will have a tendency to disengage the magazine when you grab the gun this is much less likely to happen with a normal release.

2. weak hand, hitting the extended button while shooting.

3. over pressing the button, if the button sticks out more you can press it in more press it in really fast and hard like you would under stress and you end up pinning the mag in the gun from the left, when this jhappens you push even harder on the button till you figure it out.

You may be confusing the hugely extended competition mag buttons with the slightly extended "tactical" mag catches under discussion here. None of those issues applies with these parts. They're only very slightly exteneded, and no wider than the traditional button. Actually, in my experience, most 1911s today that aren't retro-guns already feature the tactical mag release out-of-the-box.

Nope not confusing them, Some of the problems are worse with the oversized buttons though, The screw on over sized buttons are actually better because the screw on part keeps from over pushing the button and preventing the magazine to drop free. The first time user should be aware of these issues just like with most things on a gun once you start fiddle farting, you run into unexpected problems, you really need to look at what kinda actual gain you are getting.

Taking a quick look at my Springfield 1911 with the Ed Brown mag catch laying on it's side the gun touches at the front of the slide, the side of the mag well and the side of the thumb safety. There is a fair amount of space between the button and the table. I can see longer buttons getting in the way though. My Glock 35 with the factory extended mag catch will definitely release the mag if you push down on it hard on the table. I've seen it in a match once too. It was pretty funny though I did feel a little bad for the guy.

My Ed Brown catches did take some filing on the inside to stop pinning the mag in like Joe4d mentioned. I use lightened springs which made the problem even more apparent until I broke out the file. The reason I went with a lighter spring is I'm a lefty and I push the mag button with my middle finger. I bought a 4 pack of springs in different weights to try out. The lightest worked great on the bench but when I actually shot the gun the recoil would cause the mag to drop randomly. I'm told the look on my face the first time was pretty good to see. :)

I had a smith build me a 1911 and install a Brown (slightly extented) mag catch (that I bought).

The ramp of the mag catch needed to be re-profiled to run.

The smith said I should have bought the Nowlin slightly extended mag catch.

So when I got a Trojan, I bought and installed a Nowlin slightly extended mag catch.

It's been perfect.

Anyone else try the Nowlin?