Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommendations On Iwb Holster?

I've been on about 30 different sights looking at IWB holsters for a Sig P229. Anyone have any recommendations to share. I wear my belt high, so model that carries the gun a bit lower is preferred. So far I like this one:

The Secret Agent 2

But it's a bit pricey. It'd be nice to handle before I buy, but not a lot of places have great holster selections.

TIA.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Ed, I've actually looked at the fist for my Kahr, but I think for a Sig 229, that is not the way you want to carry it.

Does the Milt Sparks W6 keep the "mouth" open so you can reholster with one hand? I'd prefer a leather holster, but want it thin as possible. Kydex is probably thinner. Mitch Rosen makes a "Slim Line" holster that is as thin as Kydex. Trouble is, it's also $200!

Also, does anyone have any opinions of the Safariland Model 27?

Good price and I can use it for my 226 as well. I know BE sells Safariland stuff, but don't see this model on his site :huh:

The problem I've found with all cowhide IWB holsters is that the holster mouth will collapse from belt pressure alone once the gun is withdrawn. The thin sheet metal inserted into the mouth of the Summer Special and its clones doesn't help, in my experience. Kydex stays open but is uncomfortable. The only holster I've ever found that combines comfort with a holster mouth that'll stay open, allowing easy one-hand reholstering, is the horsehide IWB-2 from Kramer Handgun Leather. I'd nominate the horsehide Galco IWB as well - it will stay open - but it holds the gun at a radical forward cant I don't personally find comfortable, stable, or particularly ergonomic on the draw.

Bucky,

You CAN buy anything from Safariland from Brian BUT the minimum order has to be $100 or more.

I don’t know of anyone that’s been carrying for very long that doesn’t have a draw FULL of holsters that they thought would work and then, for one reason or another, didn’t measure up. It’s the high price of personal protection. :(

Good Luck,

Ed

Duane,

I had the oppurtunity to borrow a friend's Mitch Rosen holster. It is a slim line ARG model and very nicely made. It is smooth on the outside so it moves with you. It has a second piece of leather around the mouth or opening of the holster. It doesn't add to the thickness because this piece is above the belt line. It has no problem keeping the mouth of the holster open, even if you lean against it. Problem is, this holster is over $200 these days.

Also, the model 27 Safariland says it has a polymer insert that holds the mouth open, which I would imagine would work pretty good also.

Ed, yeah I figured as much about the "drawer full of holsters". That is why I am posting, hoping to learn from their mistakes. B)

Ray, thanks for the tip. The extreme heat looks like it carries the gun to high for my tastes. The UnderCover looks really interesting though.

It is smooth on the outside so it moves with you.

Actually, that's a bad thing. When an IWB holster moves, it changes the angle/position of the grip of your gun. That's not good.

You want an IWB that stays in the same orientation and position with respect to your belt all the time. That's why I like the Ky-Tac BraveHeart and Comp-Tac Gurkha (a copy of the former). They have fore and aft belt attachments that eliminate movement.

The Milt Sparks Versa Max II has the same idea, as do a few others.

My vote would have to go for Milt Sparks Versa Max II. I have an Exec Companion as well but prefer the Versa Max. Get the Kydex clips and you can tuck a shirt over it and carry without a jacket in the warmer months.

Lightning Arms Sportsin Beaverton OR stocks a LOT of Milt Sparks stuff at reasonable prices. Really nice folks and they ship fast. I orderd my Versa Max on Saturday morning and had it the next Monday.

I need to ask a really dumb question. Since I have never had an IWB holster, do you have to buy a whole new wardrobe, since you can't fit it inside your existing pants?

Some people do, and when you buy new pants you sure should do so with that in mind. It also depends on the holster because some are significantly thicker at the beltline than others.

My pants have always been loose enough to not make a difference, though, but I am probably an exception.

My pants have always been loose enough to not make a difference, though, but I am probably an exception.

Especially with the "speed holes" in them, right? B):D

I really like my Sidearmor IWB. It is comfortable, secure and has held up very well for the 2 years I've had it. It appears they have a model for your Sig.

Sidearmor

I knew I'd get some great info here :D

I've checked out the web site of every recommendation here, so your responses are all appreciated.

Glockster96. Looks like a great rig, but don't think it will work for me. I wear my pants on the high side, so I'm looking for a holster that will ride the gun where the trigger is at or slightly below belt level.

The Comp-Tac is looking very interesting. Looks like I can drop it nice and low, like I want, and there is the option of tucking in the shirt. Something in the back of my mind keeps saying leather, but the Kydex has sure come a long way.

howardw: How long have you been using it??

Sixgun: Been looking at Wild Bills Concealment. The "no such agency" looks like it might hold the gun low enough. Pictures on the web site are rough, though. The single loop may move around a bit too much to.

No one on the Safariland 27? I found a place carrying one for $35. Might just pick it up to hold me over until I make up my mind (and hey, it might even work out).

I prefer the Sidearmor, I've been carrying my G29 with one for 4 years now. I don't find it uncomfortable at all once you've found the right place and angle. The Sidearmor has impeccable build quality (much better than BladeTech at least for the comparison I made when I got it) and is durable. Patricia and the others at Sidearmor are good people. I use one of the OWBs for my match holster, too.

Edit: I should say that the difference with BladeTech was not basic quality of fit or plastic, but rather the molding details and finish.

I need to ask a really dumb question. Since I have never had an IWB holster, do you have to buy a whole new wardrobe, since you can't fit it inside your existing pants?

Not a dumb question at all. Assuming your existing pants fit snugly at the waist, you can make do by simply letting out your belt one notch and leaving your pants' top button undone (the belt will cover this breach of sartorial etiquette). Assuming you like IWB wear, take your carry rig with you the next time you buy pants. You'll want a waist size about 1" to 2" larger that what you wear now. Over time, a process of attrition will take care of all the older, "too tight" pants.

The SideArmor looks like it holds the gun a little too high, and judging by the picture, it doesn't look like that part is adjustable. Preferably, I'd like a unit that has the entire trigger guard under the belt, with only the grip above the belt. Let me know if my assumption about the adjustability is wrong.

Thanks for the tip. I had given this some consideration.

As for the SideArmor vs. Bladetech, it appears that the SideArmor is injection molded where by many of the Bladetechs are hand molded. The hand molding doesign give you all the nice lines. I like the Bladetech for competition because I feel the hand molding give you a looser fit, which gives you less resistance on the draw.

Thanks.

Bucky,

I've been using the C-Tac for about three months. Before I used the, now discontinued, Undercover from Comp-Tac with a Glock 26 for about a year.

I haven't seriously tried carrying with a tucked in shirt. Tried it once and it just didn't look right. I'm not convinced that shirt tucking works with IWB holsters. Glocks are probably just to fat for that option.

Howard