Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nordic extension clamp

Pro2AInPA

Bear in mind also that there are actually TWO barrel profiles for the Remington 11-87: Standard and Light Contour. I run the thinner Light Contour barrel, and thus felt it necessary to custom-fit my barrel clamp (a Choate which I supported by welding on extra material). Others may not have an issue. Just make sure the tube aligns correctly when clamped, and that the clamp does not slide in recoil.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I'm going to be putting a Nordic +8 extension on my Rem 11-87. Is the clamp really needed? It's tough enough paying $80 for a tube but $30+ for that little clamp is a tough pill to swallow.

I'll chime in here......

Do you need a clamp on a Remington shotgun......with out a doubt.....YES!!!

Now, for some back ground:

The Remington shotguns have the least amount of thread engagement of any shotgun out there and I don't care which tube you use, I've seen Choates, Briley's, DMV's, etc.....get launched during stages at 3 gun matches. This is a failure of the factory threads ability to hold the tube on the weapon. I've RO'd enough to see this.

Our earlier tubes.....did break at the nut.....this has been corrected (like 2 years ago) and the new design has yet to fail. If you want to know if you have an old design tube, go into our web forum (in the BE dealer tents) under FAQ's to see if you have an older design...we have pics and info that will help.....we will replace old tubes free of charge.

I for one am not a fan of clamps on barrels.....they do change point of impact for slugs if the clamp happens to move. To help minimize that, do what Bob from Cactus Tactical has mentioned above in a previous post. Thats some good info!! Personally, on my Benelli, I do not run nor feel a clamp is required, BUT.....you need some sort of clamp on a remington!!

I really do believe that our clamp is hands down the best one out there....light weight, most clamping area and if put on right, will not move. So if you are going to use a clamp (and on the Remmy....you really need to), use ours, it's made for our tube. There are other alternatives like the choate, ATI, DMV, etc. that may be good......but ours is the one that everyone elses is compared to. Yeah, maybe I'm a little biased, not my design though.....Jarmo came up with that little gem!!

The main reason I went with the Nordic tube and clamp is because of the capacity and the clamp itself. I had a cheap tube and clamp and the clamp kept moving no matter how tight I got it (with a sling). So, I like the clamp and I don't think I will move should I have to use a sling again, but the cheap clamps will last maybe a stage or two before coming loose (at least that is my experience).

I got bad advice when I bought my M2 and got a field version instead of a tactical. The tactical M2's have a sling adapter that goes behind the barrel nut so it should be an option. But, should someoen happen to end up with a M2 that is other than a tactical model.....enough said.

• 2 weeks later...

My dad brought up a concern, that seems valid. If you are not tightening up your ext. tube into the coupler. Wouldn't you be hammering on the threads of your coupler/ext. tube? I know you guys run 1000s of shells through, so enlighten me with your experience. My Benelli and DMW tube weren't cheap, so I don't want to "F" them up! Nordic clamp should be here tomorrow, can't find a factory Benelli one anywhere for my M1S90.

Slight thread shift - I put a nordic clamp on the extension tube I put on my Xtrema2. I thought I had the clamp tightened tightly. However, after the first trip to the range and about 120 shells, there were marks on the barrel and tube indicating the clamp had moved more than a half inch. Can you over overtighten the clamp? and is there something I can use to reduce the clamp from scarring up the barrel?

My +7 is plenty sturdy without one. I guess it all depends on how rough/careful you plan to get with the gun. My used benelli came with one so I use it. Better safe than sorry is my thought.

Be advised that they can change your point of impact with slugs.

That's all I needed to hear. I just spent a bunch of money gearing up for USPSA so the wife is already none-too-happy with me. I'll just get the tube for now and get the clamp later if it seems necessary.

:cheers:

i managed to break my nordic extension tube without the clamp. i now have a clamp. better safe than sorry.

:cheers:

Slight thread shift - I put a nordic clamp on the extension tube I put on my Xtrema2. I thought I had the clamp tightened tightly. However, after the first trip to the range and about 120 shells, there were marks on the barrel and tube indicating the clamp had moved more than a half inch. Can you over overtighten the clamp? and is there something I can use to reduce the clamp from scarring up the barrel?

Looking through the old threads when I got my clamp the Nordic guys on here said to use some electrical tape or something on the clamp where it clamps on the ext. tube and to use the short end (low leverage) end of an Allen wrench to tighten it up so you don't over tighten it. I put heat-shrink tubing on the four legs of my clamp where it goes around the ext. tube and didn't put a super amount of torque on the screws and it didn't budge at all in 3 weekends of snow goose hunting shooting 3" BB's....