Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Franford Arsenal tumbler motor

slavex

So I left on my tumblers on while I was away for a few days (I think the switch triggered when it hit the floor after I walked out). The weight came loose, and jammed the motor. So for 4 days it sat there, overheating. Luckily no fire, but I'm buying timers for my tumblers now! Anyhow the motor is cooked, completely. I've tried phoning Midway, but can't even get through to their message center, as I'm calling from Canada. Anyone have any ideas?

Just had to take a motor apart because it was not working properly. Found the bearings were packed with media dust. Cleaned and greased and it's working great. Tumbler must be 12 years old, and has a lot of hours on it! Next time it acts up, I'll contact Midway and have it replaced.

EG

I've had to repack bearings on my other Midway tumbler a few times. Also flush it out with WD40 and air works good too. Tried all that with this motor, but it was cooked. I don't think being jammed, on, for a few days was what was intended for it in the design process. It would be cool to be able to find these motors online somewhere though. I took mine to a few shops and just got some weird looks.

Just had to take a motor apart because it was not working properly. Found the bearings were packed with media dust. Cleaned and greased and it's working great. Tumbler must be 12 years old, and has a lot of hours on it! Next time it acts up, I'll contact Midway and have it replaced.

EG

I think the warranty is only a year.

I've used timers since 1993 it's the way to go. Get the kind of timer that you put the little plastic tab in to turn it on and off, set it for how ever long you want it to run and only use the off tab so it doesn't come back on every day if your away.

Tim

My first tumbler was a Midway 1288 (back in '88 or '89). When I turn my tumbler on, I do it before I go to bed at night and turn it off when I leave for work the next morning (it's in the garage). The 1288 finally bit the dust in the mid to late 90's. I called Midway about ordering a motor and was told that if it had Midway's name on it, it was covered by a lifetime warranty. All I had to do was to send it back, they would credit me the amount of shipping, and they would send me a new tumbler. I received my new Midway 1292 tumbler and used it just as hard until about a year or so ago. Same thing, motor quit, I called, they said send it in for a free replacement. I'm on my 3rd Midway tumbler in about 20 or 21 years and only paid for the first one.

I've used timers since 1993 it's the way to go. Get the kind of timer that you put the little plastic tab in to turn it on and off, set it for how ever long you want it to run and only use the off tab so it doesn't come back on every day if your away.

Tim

I like that idea. I'm going to do that.

I guess I'm just not living right! Call them about two and a half years ago, when my second one died, told them mine had died. Was told the warranty was one year. Bought another new one and used it till it gave up and bought a slightly used Dillon from a friend that had upgraded to the BIG Dillon. Neither of the two times I talked to them did anyone say anything about a waranty replacement motor. OH Well, Glad to know this if I ever need another tumbler.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS ALL

The only thing that really annoys me is the short power cord, if I'm not careful when I turn off the tumbler, the cord will sit just right, but then drop a bit, and the switch hits the floor and turns on the tumbler. I'll be putting a longer cord on what ever I get.

if you have the number for the Acklands Grainger product could you post it? none of the electrical shops I went to could even guess where to begin looking for something like the one I have, with the mounts and everything.

• 3 weeks later...

So I got the tumbler last week (I think that was it). Brand new tumbler, not just the motor. Wow. I took it downstairs, hooked it up, and started cleaning. works great. I then took the motor out of my older Midway tumbler (the style with a column in the center) and put that in the body of the other Frankford Arsenal. Exactly the same mounting holes, and it took about 15 minutes to do. Now I've got two of the better designed bowls humming away down there. The older Midway tumbler had holes in both the bowls I had for it, around that center column, and leaked dust all the time. These new bowls won't do that.

Very impressed with F.A.s service. will happily buy from them again.

• 1 month later...

So I got the tumbler last week (I think that was it). Brand new tumbler, not just the motor. Wow. I took it downstairs, hooked it up, and started cleaning. works great. I then took the motor out of my older Midway tumbler (the style with a column in the center) and put that in the body of the other Frankford Arsenal. Exactly the same mounting holes, and it took about 15 minutes to do. Now I've got two of the better designed bowls humming away down there. The older Midway tumbler had holes in both the bowls I had for it, around that center column, and leaked dust all the time. These new bowls won't do that.

Very impressed with F.A.s service. will happily buy from them again.

I'm tempted to try one of these... http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=65840

Looks like a Thumler Model B, half the price. Can take Liquid media, corncob, walnut, etc.. They've got a single drum model for about $17 cheaper...

If you want an inexpensive timer... http://www.amazon.com/Woods-5559206-Countdown-Digital-Timer/dp/B001DD7YSE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1266817209&sr=8-1

I just set it for 4hrs when I leave for work, and I come home to clean brass. :)

Edited by Ken8521