Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello: My older son made a couple of Pinewood derby cars and he has the trophies to show for it. I let him design the car the way he wanted it to look. I then showed him how to machine the car to make it look that way. If you put some negative camber in the wheels and slick up the axles it helps alot. I built a Pinewood car to run in the other catagory race and won. It looked like a cigar on wheels :surprise: The moms didn't like that at all that I would promote smoking. The dads gave me the high five :devil: It was alot of fun doing those events with my sons but now both boys don't want to do Cub Scouts and that is OK as well since I get to shoot with them. Have fun and make a stand for your cars to show them off after the race. Post a pick of your winning car! Thanks, Eric

I built a Pinewood car to run in the other catagory race and won. It looked like a cigar on wheels :surprise: The moms didn't like that at all that I would promote smoking.

So shake the old biddies up and tell them it's supposed to be shaped like a doobie!:cheers:

Pat

I ran a bunch when I was in the scouts. I got second my first year and was in first place after practice my second. My dad decided (after I went to bed) to make my car faster by putting finger nail polish on the ends of the axles...melted the paint and the wheels, I got last. Won the next several years once my dad left me alone. Mine were pretty much shaped like a shark minus a dorsal.

Both my boys are in it this year, I help some, but I make them do all of the work that is safe for them. I do drill a hole and glue lead shot or slugs in after they get their shape set. Get them rolling straight and at max weight...pretty much the "high finish" formula. Sometimes the kids are more interested in the "Crazy Paint" or "Coolest Design" awards.

My best advice...let them learn!

The kid down the street spray painted his unsanded blank block, stuck the wheels on it and took first place. I am still a little bitter.

I remember one where the kid opened his kit at the race and colored his with a black sharpie marker. He didn't win, but he did very well.

Also known as the "Dadwood Derby". Some troops have a build party where the kids all build their cars at the same time at the leaders house. Then the cars are put in quarentine until race day. It keeps machinists Dads honest.

The kid down the street spray painted his unsanded blank block, stuck the wheels on it and took first place. I am still a little bitter.

:roflol: You owe me a keyboard nashville.

Mine was dubbed the "golden banana" but was bullet shaped I thought. I can't even remember how I did...either I didn't win or I'm just getting old. It has been a while <_<

Good luck!

It was nice to watch how excited my son got as his car crossed the finish line first. Last year, he and I put in an enormous amount of time. That car performed terribly and I had to watch his disappointment. Even though it is just a Pinewood Derby, it did kind of sting a little. I felt like I let him down. Not this year..... I did a lot of research on how to build a car. My boy worked hard on that car, and I think he learned a valuable lesson....winning requires preparation.

It was nice to watch how excited my son got as his car crossed the finish line first. Last year, he and I put in an enormous amount of time. That car performed terribly and I had to watch his disappointment. Even though it is just a Pinewood Derby, it did kind of sting a little. I felt like I let him down. Not this year..... I did a lot of research on how to build a car. My boy worked hard on that car, and I think he learned a valuable lesson....winning requires preparation.

Congrats I am looking forward to doing things like this. We have a baby boy due in April.