Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Greetings!

My club is considering hosting a 22LR 3-Gun because of the cost/availability of ammunition and because of the surge of dedicated and conversion rimfire rifles and handguns.

Is this an original idea? If so, would others be interested in such a match?

If not a new idea, what advice can be offered from those of you with experience in rimfire multigun matches?

Cheers,

Kyle

Greetings!

My club is considering hosting a 22LR 3-Gun because of the cost/availability of ammunition and because of the surge of dedicated and conversion rimfire rifles and handguns.

If not a new idea, what advice can be offered from those of you with experience in rimfire multigun matches?

Cheers,

Kyle

What would you do for Shotgun? .22 Shotshells? Are you talking about a club match or a major match? I am interested in the idea, but have never been exposed to a .22 match for 3-gun.

Greetings!

Cheers,

Kyle

What would you do for Shotgun? .22 Shotshells? Are you talking about a club match or a major match? I am interested in the idea, but have never been exposed to a .22 match for 3-gun.

Ya, that was one of my first questions as well! We have concluded that shotgun would stay the same and the rifle and handgun would go 22LR. Any ideas on how to make the shotgun different?

Just a club match to start out - we are a smallish group!

Kyle

Edited by DocMcG

TRUBL, on the forum has been working on generating interest in this idea, check with him. he is part of the Nordic Components group.

trapr

Thanks trapr! I am new to the forum, what would be the best way to get in touch with TRUBL?

TRUBL, on the forum has been working on generating interest in this idea, check with him. he is part of the Nordic Components group.

trapr

Thanks trapr! I am new to the forum, what would be the best way to get in touch with TRUBL?

go to the members site and look him up for a pm.

Trapr

Here I am.....

Ruger Firearms and Down Range TV are co working on a rimfire challenge series that I hoping to become involved with soon. Presently, they have set up 'guide lines' (as opposed to rules and COF's) for the matches.

If you look at it now, it is set up more like a Steel Challenge.....which is fine, but I believe they will probably allow run and gun COF's. As long as you include the cowboys in a division.

What Ruger Firearms hopes to do is to set up 9 regionals for 2010 and one championship.

SOme people on the forum have shot a match that Ruger and Down Range TV hosted last year.......ask Gentleman Jim about it. Like I say....it is just starting out....but it will grow.

OHHH!!....also, it is not 3 gun, it is 2 gun.....no shotgun....but it seems to be heading in the right direction.

Tim

Here I am.....

Ruger Firearms and Down Range TV are co working on a rimfire challenge series that I hoping to become involved with soon. Presently, they have set up 'guide lines' (as opposed to rules and COF's) for the matches.

If you look at it now, it is set up more like a Steel Challenge.....which is fine, but I believe they will probably allow run and gun COF's. As long as you include the cowboys in a division.

What Ruger Firearms hopes to do is to set up 9 regionals for 2010 and one championship.

SOme people on the forum have shot a match that Ruger and Down Range TV hosted last year.......ask Gentleman Jim about it. Like I say....it is just starting out....but it will grow.

OHHH!!....also, it is not 3 gun, it is 2 gun.....no shotgun....but it seems to be heading in the right direction.

Tim

Neat! Thanks for the information and the reply!

Our group definitely wants the "run & gun" aspect and is surprisingly adamant about keeping the shotgun as well. Ah, to be different! Still would love to have any specifics with regard to special considerations for stages, range, etc. (You know, all of the things we haven't thought about!)

Kyle

We've been playing around with the idea in our club as well, as a low-cost alternative and to get new shooters bringing their long-guns.

As I see it, you have a few options

a ) Keep it real cheap and just do two gun, rifle/pistol

a.1) Make it newbie friendly and don't require holsters and mag holders, since a lot of people wont have that for their .22s, ie stage everything on the stages.

a.2) "Normal" starting conditions (loaded&holstered), and reloads from the belt, basically turning it into a conversion kit match.

B ) 3-gun with .22 rifle/pistol and shotgun. Shotgun ammo is more expensive than .22, but the overall cost still wouldn't be too bad since the ammo cost for rifle/pistol will only be a few bucks.

b.1) same as a.1, just add a shotgun

b.2) same as a.2, just add a shotgun

When it comes to stages you dont really have to do anything different compared to a regular 3-gun match. Sure, the rifle will be closer, but you can just use smaller targets, but you get the benefit of being able to run 2/3-gun matches at ranges where you can't hold regular matches because of lack of rifle ranges, or restrictions on rifle calibers.

If the focus is a.1/b.1, you probably want to keep the stages fairly simple and have lots of reactive targets (like clays rubber-banded to poppers), to cater more to the newbies and suck them into 3-gunning ;) If the focus is more a2/b.2, I'd just build the stages like pretty any other 3-gun match.

We did a couple of matches this fall, a.1-style and they were loads of fun. Our club is very pistol focused, so the attendance wasn't as high as I/we were hoping, but we still got some new faces and lots of fun was had by everyone.

I definitely like the idea as a low-cost and fun way to get practice, as well as a good entry point for new shooters, so I would probably favour going the a.1/b.1 route for the matches...

Edited by gose

While not 3gun, we have run a few .22 rifle sidematches recently.

We have used Sportsman's Team Challenge falling steel targets at distances from 25 to 125 yards. So far we have seen 10/22s and Tactical Solutions .22 AR uppers.

Here is a picture courtesyWay of the Multigun

IMG_4282.jpg

The matches are lots of fun, just as challening as shooting a "real" gun and much easier on the wallet in terms of ammo.

What kind of timer would/are you using? We have a hard time picking up the rifles at our steel challenge matches with the sensitivity as high as it will go.

We have not done any testing with our timers. We use the PACT Club Shot III timers.

As mentioned above, we are just collecting information on the idea, but man I am learning from this group and appreciate all of the experienced wisdom! I would not have thought timers would be an issue. THANKS!

What kind of timer would/are you using? We have a hard time picking up the rifles at our steel challenge matches with the sensitivity as high as it will go.

I _think_ that the timers we used were Pocket Pro (2?) and after changing the sensitivity we didnt have any issues with them not picking up the shots.

Edited by gose

We have been considering the same as well. We drew up a couple of stages for our local club's 3 gun match. One had a 45 round rifle count in addition to shotgun and pistol. One of our safety officers said, "hell, that's a $50 dollar stage."

The way our ranges are setup, we have 2 ranges where we can shoot further than 100 yards (out to 600 on one) and 3 where we can shoot less than 75 yards. What we considered is allowing someone to use either centerfire or rimfire rifles on the shorter (distance wise) stages. Our shorter stages are usually lots of targets less than 50 yards away, mostly house clearing and such. They would be grouped into a different class when scoring is complied. They would still use the regular pistol and shotgun as needed in the stage. We would encourage them to use a similar configuration of rifle, especially optics. This would actually make it a 4 gun match though.

Edited by prreed10

I would be more in favor of .22 rifle only or .22 pistol/rifle matches and just leave the shotgun out of it.

Phoenix rod and gun has run a few .22 rimfire matches:

Thanks a ton and great video! I learned lots about set-up and layout from watching it. Doesn't look as if your group had any issues with timers. What do you use? Also, the long range shot was interesting. What is the longest shot at the match? Did any of your shooters use conversion kits on their AR's? If so, did they suffer from lack of accuracy?

Kyle

I would be more in favor of .22 rifle only or .22 pistol/rifle matches and just leave the shotgun out of it.

Phoenix rod and gun has run a few .22 rimfire matches:

Thanks a ton and great video! I learned lots about set-up and layout from watching it. Doesn't look as if your group had any issues with timers. What do you use? Also, the long range shot was interesting. What is the longest shot at the match? Did any of your shooters use conversion kits on their AR's? If so, did they suffer from lack of accuracy?

Kyle

Anything with a barrel longer than 16" had a hard time being registered by the shot clock, it was too quiet. We would often click the back of the time on last shot fired. Not ideal, but the .22s just aren't loud enough.

I don't think anyone using .22 conversion for AR suffered from lack of accuracy. Not having malfunctions was the main thing that helped people equipment wise; malfunctions with some .22s really destroyed people's scores.

I think the longest shot at that match was 30 yards. I think that they ran another one with shots to 50 yards.

Stages were a combination of steel challenge 3 runs for score, and field courses.

Because .22s don't recoil much or have any muzzle climb to speak of 3 hits were required per paper target to neutralize.

Edited by SinistralRifleman

Our club started a new .22 action division a few months back. Currently it is in its infancy, .22 pistol or carbine. Stages are similar to USPSA Level one stages meaning certain exceptions are taken. We don't holster the handguns, either table starts or low ready, essentially because so few .22 autos have specific holsters. We have a limit of 10 rounds in a mag after start. Steel has to be hit, but need not fall to score. USPSA Targets with A, B, C, & D scored as major.

Timers seemed to work mostly OK, we try to make sure the last position is not through a port!

It is a fun cheap day. Matches will need restarted in the spring.

Jim

Something we found out about shooting the 22lr at full size poppers is that you can stay on target and hose em till they fall. If a popper is set to USPSA specs (and maybe on the heavy side of that), you'd need to take 3,4 or more shots at it to make it fall down. Kind of like Russel is talking about, but it becomes a requirement to shoot till it falls. And not all 22lr is the same....you got sub sonic at under 1100fps, std at 1200, high velocity at around 1300-1400fps then the stinger class at over 1600fps.

On the side matches that we (Nordic Components) at some 3 gun matches, we had poppers set up and the people that shot them really liked the fact that you could knock them down.....but you had make sure you hit them right and many time!! Just added to the fun factor.

The US poppers (the smaller ones) are a little more finiky, but can also be set up to fall with being hit by 22lr.

Tim