Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Handbuilt ammo vs. Factory ammo

AriM

Just an opinion poll....Would like to know what everyone else thinks....I already have an idea about what works for me....I still want to know what you guys think....Thanks to everyone around BE's forums who is polite and open-minded

If by "better" you mean a load tuned to the specific gun it will be shot in and for a specific sport, then home brewed works best for me. In the plus column is PF floor, felt recoil, affordability, convenience and accuracy, in no specific order. The softest plus is accuracy - while I've made loads with varying accuracy, I honestly dunno if factory loads are more accurate than any of my home loads, since I almost never shoot the factory stuff...

ETA: your avatar is hysterical :roflol:

Edited by kevin c

<_< I Like my own load the best.

I have used some 223 rounds on Hose targets during a match.

I don't know that I would go to a match that requires factor loads.

The Sporting Clays Nat req factory loads , <_<

All my rim-fire ammo is factory though CCI

Edited by AlamoShooter

thanks for participating guys....someone brought up the point to me....that "better" is an incorrect word to describe our hand loads....maybe the better phrase would be.....our handloads are better for our specific needs, than any factory ammunition we can get off the shelf....it was proposed to me, that if we were to send our gun, with out specific needs and shooting conditions, to a professional ammunition manufacturer.....the results would best ANY of our best efforts....and I just can't argue with that....but for most of us....I would have to say that what we build at home is more tuned to our specific needs than a case of WWB....thanks for all the comments and voting....

Black Hills and Lake City make some very accurate ammunition for sniper use. Is it "better" than we can build? Probably not but it will be reasonably accurate in several guns which is probably more than can be said for our ammo. I am not convinced that our ammo is better than ANY (your emphasis not mine) factory because you didn't define better. Can I build it cheaper; sure, more accurate; now you are talking tenths of an inch at what range.

Didn't vote as I didn't like the options and I didn't need to vote against something.

I didn't vote in this poll because there's wasn't an "It depends" choice. I can build pistol ammo that, in the right gun, can shoot a one-hole group at 50 feet. I know this because I've done it. There is also factory ammo out there with which I can do the same thing. I know this because I've done that, too. On the other hand, there is factory ammo that is absolute crap from an accuracy standpoint, and it's possible, especially as a new reloader who hasn't yet perfected his technique, to build ammo that's absolute crap from an accuracy standpoint, as well. I know this because I've done that, too. So....it depends. It depends on the the quality of the factory ammo. It depends on the quality of the handloads. It depends on whether or not that particular gun likes that particular factory ammo or handloads. There are way too many variables here to give a definitive "factory ammo is more accurate than handloads" or vice versa answer.

The poll is not meant to define a "last word" type result....It is a generalization.....in the background of this poll, I am running my own personal experiment...the term "better" is ALWAYS subjective and a generalization.....there are very specific reasons that the poll questions are worded in the way that they are....I tried to word them in the most common language I see by retailers and shooters about the subject....VERY FEW people go beyond the generalization and look for more factual evidence in either direction....the way I look at it....I have a "factory" on my loading bench....so even that term can be twisted to meet ones own mental needs.....no right or wrong answer here, it's just a general opinion poll.....thanks to those that have participated...please keep it going....I am fascinated by the results, and fascinated by the replies....

Edited by AriM

for me, Handloads are the only option. Purely because of cost, and the fact that my SVI Open gun requires loads that are not stocked on any shelves besides AA .355 Major, which is not even close to financially feasible for me. And I've figured out loads that work in my gun.

For me reloading is necessary, as I shoot .45 Colt in IDPA, USPSA, CAS, and soon ICORE. With the exception of CAS, I have not found .45 Colt loaded in a manner for competition shooting.

I took the meaning of "better" to be for the specific needs of the shooter. Factory ammunition is fine for shooting in general, but I think that each shooter can best reload for their specific needs. Thus providing an improvement on the outcome of the ammunition for themselves.

Better for me not only deals with the how the ammunition functions, but what you get for the cost. If I reloaded ammunition that functions no better than factory, but it cost 1/4 as much, I would still consider it to be better.

For me reloading is necessary, as I shoot .45 Colt in IDPA, USPSA, CAS, and soon ICORE. With the exception of CAS, I have not found .45 Colt loaded in a manner for competition shooting.

I took the meaning of "better" to be for the specific needs of the shooter. Factory ammunition is fine for shooting in general, but I think that each shooter can best reload for their specific needs. Thus providing an improvement on the outcome of the ammunition for themselves.

Better for me not only deals with the how the ammunition functions, but what you get for the cost. If I reloaded ammunition that functions no better than factory, but it cost 1/4 as much, I would still consider it to be better.

exactly....better is in the eye of the beholder....not about science or right or wrong, but what your own opinion is.....you can read all the books and listen to all the "experts" and none of that info. is going to beat what you try and verify (or reject) on your own....not saying you have to re-invent the wheel, but experimentation equals progress

just my opinion....not knocking anyone elses

9 major only leaves one factory option that I'm aware of. AA 355 super.

and how close to the margin is that ? on a hot day would that not make major?

I've never been able to afford it so I'll never be able to chrono it. ????

9 major only leaves one factory option that I'm aware of. AA 355 super.

and how close to the margin is that ? on a hot day would that not make major?

I've never been able to afford it so I'll never be able to chrono it. ????

same here :(

I can buy ammo from Atlanta Arms and know that it will consistently go bang and make PF. That does not mean that I can't produce ammo that is as good or better suited to me and my gun, which is the key.

I can also experiment with power and bullet combination's with reloads. But I always keep some AA on hand for matches if I've had any recent problems with own reloads.

Also, when it comes to practice ammo, reloads beat the cost of factory hands down. That's assuming I can get reloading supplies.

There are trade-offs in everything, and this is no different, that's why there is no one right answer to your question.

I can buy ammo from Atlanta Arms and know that it will consistently go bang and make PF. That does not mean that I can't produce ammo that is as good or better suited to me and my gun, which is the key.

I can also experiment with power and bullet combination's with reloads. But I always keep some AA on hand for matches if I've had any recent problems with own reloads.

Also, when it comes to practice ammo, reloads beat the cost of factory hands down. That's assuming I can get reloading supplies.

There are trade-offs in everything, and this is no different, that's why there is no one right answer to your question.

as i stated before in this thread....it's an opinion poll....and there is NO right or wrong answer.....just a poll to gather a general consensus from members of this forum....oddly enough this is the premise that manufacturers and salesmen of reloading gear use to sell us on said gear....."build better ammo than factory"

Black Hills and Lake City make some very accurate ammunition for sniper use. Is it "better" than we can build? Probably not but it will be reasonably accurate in several guns which is probably more than can be said for our ammo. I am not convinced that our ammo is better than ANY (your emphasis not mine) factory because you didn't define better. Can I build it cheaper; sure, more accurate; now you are talking tenths of an inch at what range.

Didn't vote as I didn't like the options and I didn't need to vote against something.

.308 ammo that comes from Lake City is no longer than 2.800". In my rifle, and with the bullets they're using (175 Sierra Matchking), that would be .095" from the lands.....certainly not ideal for accuracy. The military's standard is ~1 MOA.

There's no doubt in my mind that I can produce better ammo than that. I also don't use Federal brass in my .308 (which is garbage). I can definitely make a better load than what they're using. Is theirs good enough to whack the bad guy at 1000 yards? Sure. Can I make better ammo? The start load out of the book loaded closer to the lands will likely be more accurate than that.

I know jump to the lands isn't everything, but loading consistent ammo that is fitted to the rifle is much more likely to be accurate than anything out of Lake City, Black Hills, or Federal for that matter. Federal GMM might be good stuff out of the box, but it doesn't even come close to the ammo I am loading.

.308 ammo that comes from Lake City is no longer than 2.800". In my rifle, and with the bullets they're using (175 Sierra Matchking), that would be .095" from the lands.....certainly not ideal for accuracy. The military's standard is ~1 MOA.

There's no doubt in my mind that I can produce better ammo than that. I also don't use Federal brass in my .308 (which is garbage). I can definitely make a better load than what they're using. Is theirs good enough to whack the bad guy at 1000 yards? Sure. Can I make better ammo? The start load out of the book loaded closer to the lands will likely be more accurate than that.

I know jump to the lands isn't everything, but loading consistent ammo that is fitted to the rifle is much more likely to be accurate than anything out of Lake City, Black Hills, or Federal for that matter. Federal GMM might be good stuff out of the box, but it doesn't even come close to the ammo I am loading.

I don't know what you read into my comment but I did not say factory ammo was more accurate than could be handloaded. What I said was 2 companies are making ammunition accurate the US government has contracted for sniper ammo. The weapons used are the M24, M40, mothballed M14's and and the spec op community has some real new toys and I don't know if they would all function with an OAL of 2.895. I was once given a box of .45ACP Ball ammunition with a WCC45 head stamp and they all went bang and as a soldier that was all the accuracy I needed.

I don't know what you read into my comment but I did not say factory ammo was more accurate than could be handloaded. What I said was 2 companies are making ammunition accurate the US government has contracted for sniper ammo. The weapons used are the M24, M40, mothballed M14's and and the spec op community has some real new toys and I don't know if they would all function with an OAL of 2.895. I was once given a box of .45ACP Ball ammunition with a WCC45 head stamp and they all went bang and as a soldier that was all the accuracy I needed.

Fair enough. If I wanted to load short, I could load accurate ammo at 2.800" just as well as any of those, though, if not better.

• 2 weeks later...

Handloaded ammo is by far better than factory. Due to the fact that you can tune and tweak it to the particular gun your using.... Ontop of that there's the money factor!!!!! Handloads are much cheaper than factory ammo.... For what lets say 20 rounds of 300Win Mag factory ammo cost, I can load 100 rounds for the same price if not less..

Handloaded ammo is by far better than factory. Due to the fact that you can tune and tweak it to the particular gun your using.... Ontop of that there's the money factor!!!!! Handloads are much cheaper than factory ammo.... For what lets say 20 rounds of 300Win Mag factory ammo cost, I can load 100 rounds for the same price if not less..

That doesn't make the ammo "better". It's tuned to your gun, but it's not higher quality. Nobody I've ever known, save one commercial reloader, has the equipment to turn out ammo that is as consistently perfect as the factory. Our machines are Mickey Mouse, with moving parts. Go look and see how factory ammo is actually made and there's absolutely no way we can compete. One machine built entirely to do one individual step in the loading process, and do it perfectly.

Give your gun to a factory, tell them to build the most accurate, powerful ammunition they can for it and it will far surpass anything you or I can ever produce.

For me I choose factory ammo for matches. I dont know anyone who reloads who doesnt have atleast 1 time every match or two if not every match they have to tap, rack or put in a new mag. I see almost no one whos handloads shoot every match flawless. I have gone a years worth of matches with having no tap racks or mag changes due to the ammo. So handloads for practice and match ammo is atlanta arms 9mm 147gr jhp black box.