Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New reticle in a 1-4x24 scope

kgunz11

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the SN-4s had 1/2MOA adjustments instead of 5/8ths
Yeah, not sure why the do that. It's on my agenda to find out why.

I wonder if it has anything to do with 5/8moa being the closest to 1mil at 6 clicks?

I'm with BigJim (a new guy to BE Forum, but I like him already!) on this one... down with Mils! MOA is far more intuitive to sort out.

Erik, do you think USO would be willing to change-over the adjustments to MOA? (preferably 1/4)

If the SN-4s had 1/2MOA adjustments instead of 5/8ths
Yeah, not sure why the do that. It's on my agenda to find out why.

I wonder if it has anything to do with 5/8moa being the closest to 1mil at 6 clicks?

My SN4 1.5-6 has 1/10 mil adjustments. ~.36".
It is in MOA.....just 5/8 moa instead of half. Half would be ideal.
Just because you are more familiar with MOA does not necessarily mean it is easier. Here is a good primer on why having scopes and reticles in matched measurements are advantageous.

http://www.snipershide.com/node/1

Who cares MOA or MIL. In my opinion thats what the BDC retical is for. Zero it and forget the clicks.

A friend of mine drew up my reticle idea and scaled it against a 10" target at varying distances for reference. It is designed around using a 200 yard zero. Basically very similar to the Lund reticle just with the broken 50moa outer circle,2 moa dot,horizontal level lines,and a 300 yard aiming point extension of the stadia tree.

post-8688-1261956945_thumb.jpg

post-8688-1261978787_thumb.jpg

Looks great!

What load/velocity do you have in mind for calibration?

The lengths of the horizontal stadia tree lines would be calibrated to 10mph cross winds at the corresponding yardage, right?

Are you thinking 4x or 6x for max zoom?

Also, do you think it would make sense to have a horizontal stadia tree line for 10mph windage at the 300yd mark, too? Might be too busy... I could go either way on it I guess.

If this gets built, it will sell!!

Just thought I would muddy the waters a little. Here is a reticle coming out from Vortex Riflescopes this spring. The reticle will be lit (don't know how bright), scope will have adjustable turrets (MRAD or MOA your choice), if their other products are indicative the glass should be first rate, and pricing is $500. Might be worth looking at until USO gets theirs out.

post-3719-1262102667_thumb.jpg

The Vortex reticle is posted in the very first post of this thread. Its what sparked alot of this discussion and what spawned my idea for the broken circle.

I'm not fond of it at all. Too busy for my tastes but at that price point it will sell well. It is going to be a daylight visible dot and only the dot is going to be illuminated.

Update

Okay, I spoke with John at USO briefly as he is on vacation, but the reticle changes should be no problem.

In a nutshell, here are the changes.

2 MOA center dot instead of 3 MOA

300 yard post extending up from stadia tree

Large outer circle will be reduced from 5 MOA thickness to 4 MOA thickness

Overall size of large outer ring will be reduced slightly, size to be determined

Entire reticle will be illuminated like the EOTech reticle

Scope will have target type turrents under protectice caps, if you want to dial MOA during a stage you'll be able to (not sure why you'd want to though.)

Illuminated reticle should be available in either green or red

Things to be determined.

Total price (Should be in the $1,150 to $1,300 range)

How much brighter the reticle can/will be

1/2 moa vs. 5/8 moa clicks (only important if you want to dial dope though)

Things in the works.

Working to develop a Cattail/Throw-lever for the magnification ring

Erik

Edited by Bear1142

As much as I'd prefer just the dot illuminated, I may be able to live with the entire reticle illuminated...

If it's daylight visible and 1/2 MOA adjustments, then I think this scope could sell well.

Edited by Xfactor

Looks great!

What load/velocity do you have in mind for calibration?

The lengths of the horizontal stadia tree lines would be calibrated to 10mph cross winds at the corresponding yardage, right?

Are you thinking 4x or 6x for max zoom?

Also, do you think it would make sense to have a horizontal stadia tree line for 10mph windage at the 300yd mark, too? Might be too busy... I could go either way on it I guess.

If this gets built, it will sell!!

The tree was calibrated around a 55 at 3000fps, a 69 at 2800 and a 77 at 2650 which all seem to have very close intersects in POI.

But unfortunately mine will probably never be put into production as it was just a spinoff of Erik's reticle.

I have no intention of adding or wanting a wind hold on the 300 as I have never had to hold off more than the target to get a hit until 400 and further.

The Vortex reticle is posted in the very first post of this thread. Its what sparked alot of this discussion and what spawned my idea for the broken circle.

I'm not fond of it at all. Too busy for my tastes but at that price point it will sell well. It is going to be a daylight visible dot and only the dot is going to be illuminated.

Weird that I would make a phkup that bad when I hadn't been drinking coffee yet :roflol:

Overall size of large outer ring will be reduced slightly, size to be determined

Entire reticle will be illuminated like the EOTech reticle

Scope will have target type turrents under protectice caps, if you want to dial MOA during a stage you'll be able to (not sure why you'd want to though.)

Illuminated reticle should be available in either green or red

Things to be determined.

Total price (Should be in the $1,150 to $1,300 range)

How much brighter the reticle can/will be

1/2 moa vs. 5/8 moa clicks (only important if you want to dial dope though)

Erik,

Thanks for the update.

IIRC the EOTech outer circle is 65MOA and I don't find it intrusive. I would be leery of making it too small because at 1X you may end up w/ a big red (or green) mess.

I would prefer 1/2MOA clicks because that's what my other scopes have but I don't currently dial so no big deal.

If you can get this thing as bright as a Meopta I'll be first in line.

"Who cares MOA or MIL. In my opinion thats what the BDC retical is for. Zero it and forget the clicks.

Thank you Alan. If you want a scope/reticle that subtend to mils or MOA (elevation clicks also) get one of the many other scopes that are available. There are many to chose from and the quality and price vary from a little to a lot.

The reticle is what's important for 3-gun. I really don't care what the elevation stadia subtend to either, they're just holdover reference points for the stage or two that have flash targets beyond 200yds in a big match. Way too many ballistic variables to consider to try to make them subtend to a particular load or bullet wt.

Mr. Lund, thank you for working with USO on this scope/reticle offering, that list of final refinements looks like just what the Dr. ordered. Hopefully we're getting closer to the holy grail of 3-gun scopes. Please keep us posted. For those of you without experience with US Optics, their customer service is outstanding and they support our sport (and others) at every opportunity.

Happy Holidays to all.

David

Edited by dt1

IIRC the EOTech outer circle is 65MOA and I don't find it intrusive. I would be leery of making it too small because at 1X you may end up w/ a big red (or green) mess.

The EOTech is 65MOA at 1X.

From an earlier post 00 says the outer circle was 55 MOA (most likely @ 4X).

55/65=.84

.84 x 4 = 3.36

Roughly speaking... break out an EOTech and imagine that outer circle as 3.36X times the size.

That's what the outer circle would look like if it was 55 MOA.

You can also look at it this way...

According to a PDF the inner circle of the old XTR reticle is 6 MOA.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/pdf/XTR_Ballistic556.pdf

55/6 = 9.17

So imagine that the circle of an XTR was 9.17X times the size. Using your picture this is what it would look like...

post-3400-1262241606_thumb.jpg

The depicted circle in the picture is actually a tad smaller. Bust out the calipers and verify it...

I wouldn't mind the big circle to be smaller than 55 MOA.