Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Military Ammo Cans

jkatz44

Hi,

I am looking for a website that sells military ammo cans for storing ammunition. I have heard this is the best way to store ammo. Is this the best way? I have checked around my area and the only place that has it, is very expensive. Do any of you know what websites are the best to order from?

Thanks,

P.S. I know that the boxes are different sizes because they have different calibers. Which one is the most popular?

Ammo cans are a great way to store your loaded rounds. That's what I use. The problem with buying the ammo cans online is the shipping costs are higher then the cans. I just go to my local army surplus store and buy them. If you have a surplus store near you, that may be your best option.

Ammo cans are a great way to store your loaded rounds. That's what I use. The problem with buying the ammo cans online is the shipping costs are higher then the cans. I just go to my local army surplus store and buy them. If you have a surplus store near you, that may be your best option.

At me surplus store, they wanted $20. Is this reasonable?

They're not military and they're not metal, but I like the plastic ammo cans available at Dick's and Cabela's....

I wish I knew who made 'em, so I could point you to 'em on the web....

We're using them as stage boxes locally too....

When the local surplus store was open here up til about a few months ago, the .30 cal ammo cans (I guess what was originally used with the M60 machine gun) were going for 6 bucks each.

The .50 cal "Ma Deuce" (M2 browning machine gun) cans were like $10 or $12.

Another place to look is a gunshow...if you have gunshows where you are at... :unsure:

I have a couple plastic ammo cans that are made by mtm. Cant remember how much I paid for them off the top of my head.

Do the plastic cans work just as good as the ones I am talking about. Do they keep moisture out?

If you can find metal ammo cans, just make sure to see that they are the type with a seal and that it's in good shape.

There's a company named Flambeau that has a box called a "Dry Box". You'll find them for around $12 on line and at sporting good stores. They have a top with an O-ring seal.

But you can find all kinds of containers at your local hardware. Just look for one that has a tight sealing lid.

And don't overlook zip-top bags. A bunch of them and plastic box and your ammo will stay safe and dry for a long time.

And you can buy empty paint cans which will store stuff dry for years.

And you can buy empty 5 gal buckets with tight sealing lids.

So, you don't have to buy an ammo can.

Edited by Graham Smith

wow, absolutely not....that is robbery....plano makes some very nice plastic ammo containers....so does flambeau, so does haliburton....you should be able to get an air and water tight container, with a one way pressure relief valve, for under $20, brand new....

with the metal ammo cans, you can close them up and then spray paint the mating joints with "rubberized undercoating"....you can get that in the automotive paint section at wal-mart....it will seal that can up nice and tight...you will have to cut (depending on how thick you apply it) to get into it, but the ammo will stay dry and safe for a VERY long time....that's how I have my "doomsday" supply sealed up....

if you want to go all out....you could seal the ammo in a 5 gallon bucket, with some popcorn (the styrofoam kind LOL)....I am not sure how safe it is to do a nitrogen seal...ammo/powder really does need to vent IMO...I use makron primer sealer on the primer and around the bullet/case rim....then drop those rounds into cheap 100 round (cabelas) ammo boxes, then I put those into metal ammo cans and use the rubberized undercoating to seal those up....probably total overkill, but when the SHTF you will be knocking on my door for some ammo....hell the way I have mine sealed I think I could submerge it in water for a year and pull the cans up, and it would still be tarnish free and 100% reliable....

If you can find metal ammo cans, just make sure to see that they are the type with a seal and that it's in good shape.

There's a company named Flambeau that has a box called a "Dry Box". You'll find them for around $12 on line and at sporting good stores. They have a top with an O-ring seal.

oops you beat me to it....+1

The 20 & 40 MM cans are up in the $20 range the rest shouldn't be but even Cheaper Than Dirt has dropped several sizes from their catalog. The ammo cans coming back from the sand box are going up for bids at disposal centers so resale cost is up to the buyer. I think they think we are filling them with store bought ammo and burying it in the back yard.

The MTM plastic are about the same size as the old fat 50 but are still about $18.95, using 1/2 dozen for Federal primers while other primers fit fine in normal 50 cal ammo cans. 40MM cans came with padlock attachments so 8# powder cans get locked away in them.

The 20 & 40 MM cans are up in the $20 range the rest shouldn't be but even Cheaper Than Dirt has dropped several sizes from their catalog. The ammo cans coming back from the sand box are going up for bids at disposal centers so resale cost is up to the buyer. I think they think we are filling them with store bought ammo and burying it in the back yard.

The MTM plastic are about the same size as the old fat 50 but are still about $18.95, using 1/2 dozen for Federal primers while other primers fit fine in normal 50 cal ammo cans. 40MM cans came with padlock attachments so 8# powder cans get locked away in them.

The cans that the store wanted 20 bucks for was a 50 cal. ammo box.

Run, do not walk out of that store and add it to the list of places to try only when the world is coming to an end.

Seriously, if the ammo you want to store will fit in a 30 caliber ammo can then you might try the Berry bullet website. I have 3 of those for different brands of 22 rimfire and shipping does not involve the hidden lead surcharge.

Run, do not walk out of that store and add it to the list of places to try only when the world is coming to an end.

Seriously, if the ammo you want to store will fit in a 30 caliber ammo can then you might try the Berry bullet website. I have 3 of those for different brands of 22 rimfire and shipping does not involve the hidden lead surcharge.

I am planning on storing Dillon 100 round 9mm boxes. The can that you are talking about is the plastic 30mm can right? It said that it has a seal to keep moisture out so I think i will go with this. About how many boxes of ammo do you the think the box can hold?

Hello: Get the metal cans. They stand up better to abuse and you can stand on them. Better in case of a fire as well(I wrote about this elsewhere). The ammo cans should be less than $10. I tried to buy some here in Albuquerque and they wanted $20 a piece so I said no thanks. They are cheaper at Gun Shows. That reminds me I need to get 5 more :cheers: Thanks, Eric

I really prefer the military cans, too. I bought two different kinds of plastic ones-a green MTM about the size of a .50 call can and a couple of international orange colored plastic ones that are taller, more narrow, and are sealed/fastened a bit like real military cans (don't recall the brand). They work great for holding things like staplers/gloves/pasters/other target supplies, but I don't think the handles would stay attached to the can very long if you carried ammo in them, at least in bulk instead of boxed. I have military cans for 200 rounds of 7.62, linked 5.56, and 40mm practice rounds. I like the small 200/7.62. best, as I can fill it up and still carry it or move it around in the safe floor without straining something. I think I paid $5.00 a can for them at a gun show, but that has been quite a while back.

I am planning on storing Dillon 100 round 9mm boxes. The can that you are talking about is the plastic 30mm can right? It said that it has a seal to keep moisture out so I think i will go with this. About how many boxes of ammo do you the think the box can hold?

30 caliber ammo boxes will not hoild the Dillon boxes crosswise nor 2 lengthwise so my guess would be 4 to 5. Best bet would be 50 caliber size which should hold 8 to 12.

I really prefer the military cans, too. I bought two different kinds of plastic ones-a green MTM about the size of a .50 call can and a couple of international orange colored plastic ones that are taller, more narrow, and are sealed/fastened a bit like real military cans (don't recall the brand). They work great for holding things like staplers/gloves/pasters/other target supplies, but I don't think the handles would stay attached to the can very long if you carried ammo in them, at least in bulk instead of boxed. I have military cans for 200 rounds of 7.62, linked 5.56, and 40mm practice rounds. I like the small 200/7.62. best, as I can fill it up and still carry it or move it around in the safe floor without straining something. I think I paid $5.00 a can for them at a gun show, but that has been quite a while back.

The handles on the orange or OD MTM will carry 750 rounds of 230gr 45. Not an easy chore to move but they went from my storage shed 100' to the truck.

• 2 months later...