Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Glock build ?

caz41

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys I am about to start my Open Glock build and have a question. First off a little background to help with some insight. I am doing this build for several reasons. 1. I have carried a Glock on duty for 12 years now, which means that I have put more rounds through it than anything else by far. 2. I can't for sure say that I will have the time to devote to this that I intend to at this point. 3. Because tons of people say that you have to spend big bucks to be competitive. And I want to try to beat them with the ole reliable.

Anyways back to the question. Is it worth getting the SJC package for $1800 and having them do everything. Or can a guy get by with adding a barrel, comp, etc. like SJC, LW, etc. and piecing it together. How much different is the package going to be?

I'm sure that plenty of more questions will come up, but I really want to limit the thread to this specific question first so I know which way to go to get the ball rolling. Thanks

I built my own and spent around $1200 including the price of the gun. Used KKM barrel and comp, Carver mount and C-More. Only machining was by hand to lower the ejector port.

• 4 weeks later...

I built my own. I spent more than an SJC but that is because I did it on my own without reading much on these threads and ended up with a pile of parts that wouldn't work for some reason or another.

I don't think that at my level, I would be able to see much difference in my home build vs a SJC. I haven't fired an SJC either though so take that for what it's worth.

BTW, anybody I have ever heard say "money is no object" usually was lying. People for whom "money is no object" rarely ever admit it.

• 2 years later...

It kills me to read all the way to the end of one of these threads and :angry2: nothing...someone please post a pic or write a poem or something

I am in the middle of a g22 9major myself, good luck with yours

Edited by thebridge

Here is mine, Home build. Wasnt that hard really but it was a slight pain to get it ejecting correctly, that was a bigger PITA than the frame.

what issues did you have with ejecting how did you correct them?

I had issues with it not fully ejecting the round, simply had to lower the ejection port and reapply the angle to it.

It wasnt that hard but i wanted to take away as little at possible so i would lower it some then go to the range and test it .... wash rinse repeat probably took me like 15 trips to the range over two days

<<<<<< here's mine

it got an sts on a carver mount w/c doesnt need any lowering of ejection port and very reliable

comp is 11-port by sjc on a kkm barrel

base gun is glock 17

ammo is 9mm maj, pf = 165

here is how it shoot:

Edited by BoyGlock

BoyGlock that is very cool, thanks for the link. nice to see pics after talking about building them.

+1, am about to head down this road. will definitely build myself. cant afford SJC, STI, SVI, or anybody else probably (Enlisted budget).

• 5 weeks later...

Here it is guys, as planned :cheers:

th_100_3866.jpg

ETA: I plan to cut off the unused portion of the weaver rail in front after i finished testing and confident that this set up is good to go.

I love the 11 port comp.let us know how you like the aim point as well.

I watched the video and the gun seems to shoot really flat,looks great.

post-25458-0-17999900-1334955627_thumb.j My Carver Custom with some SJC parts.

here it is in action. Pay more attention to the way the gun runs as opposed to the tool making a ton of mistakes while shooting it, lol.

Boyglock....nice runs, youre pretty quick on your feet!

post-25458-0-17999900-1334955627_thumb.j My Carver Custom with some SJC parts.

here it is in action. Pay more attention to the way the gun runs as opposed to the tool making a ton of mistakes while shooting it, lol.

Boyglock....nice runs, youre pretty quick on your feet!

Looks like it is working great,what load are shooting in the video?

I am not so much building one, but I put a Carver mount and a C-More railway on a G 34 for my girlfriend to shoot steel with. So far it's working pretty good. I did not lower the ejection port, and I wondering if I can get away with it. I'm not planing on comping it, or getting real fancy with it.

I'm going to shoot our monthly Steel match with it tomorrow. In practice at the range, it worked pretty good with no ejection issues.

IMAG0138.jpg

I stopped shooting pistol matches several years ago and sold my Open STI guns - both in 9mm. After a couple of months I felt like I really needed to have one just in case the mood struck me so I built one for Steel Challenge / 3 gun from a G17.

I picked up a Lone Wolf extended ported barrel, SJC magwell & SJC Microdot mount. I had a spare JPoint kicking around so I put them all togeather.

Added an ext slide release & ext mag release and took it to the range and shot it once. Horrible trigger.

Got a Glocktriggers.com Edge trigger and could not be happier.

Untitled.jpg